On-line Bob-weight calculator? - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Tech Questions - Monson Racing

Tech Questions - Monson Racing

Old 01-23-2010, 10:49 PM   #1
Manic Machinist
Pullin gears

Default On-line Bob-weight calculator?

Any body know where there is an on-line bobweight calculator ?
Manic Machinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2010, 01:57 AM   #2
toolmakeron
Burnout box

Default Re: On-line Bob-weight calculator?

I don't know of any online, but I'd be happy to help if you like. I've balanced over 10,000 engines, or I can send you a copy of my work sheet, so you can easily do it yourself
toolmakeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:31 AM   #3
Real McCoy
Smoked Another SBC

10,000 engines? That's one a day, every day, for over 27 yrs. You've been busy....LOL. How or what is a bobweight calculator? How would someone know what your particular piston, pin, rod, rings weigh?
Real McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:10 AM   #4
CNC BLOCKS
Smoked another BBC

The inline 4 & 6 cylinder cranks we have balanced have needed no bob weights.
CNC BLOCKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:25 AM   #5
Shelton_Barrs
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNC BLOCKS View Post
The inline 4 & 6 cylinder cranks we have balanced have needed no bob weights.
My only experience with balancing a crank is paying someone like you to do it for me. My understanding was you always had to have a bob weight. What is it about the 4 & 6 cylinder cranks that doesn't require a bob weight? I think I know but am curious if I am correct or not.
http://www.facebook.com/LgmRacingAndDevelopment

Shelton_Barrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:01 AM   #6
CNC BLOCKS
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelton_Barrs View Post
My only experience with balancing a crank is paying someone like you to do it for me. My understanding was you always had to have a bob weight. What is it about the 4 & 6 cylinder cranks that doesn't require a bob weight? I think I know but am curious if I am correct or not.
The throws are 180 degrees apart but rods and pistons should be weight matched..

We have balanced some pretty big deseil cranks and I can't imagine making a bob weight to fit those cranks.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:27 PM   #7
Real McCoy
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
The throws are 180 degrees apart but rods and pistons should be weight matched..

We have balanced some pretty big deseil cranks and I can't imagine making a bob weight to fit those cranks.
Did you think he said in line bobweights when he said on line bobweights or were you just saying in line needs no weights.
Real McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:57 PM   #8
CNC BLOCKS
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real McCoy View Post
Did you think he said in line bobweights when he said on line bobweights or were you just saying in line needs no weights.
Good catch!!
Old 01-24-2010, 02:57 PM   #9
Shelton_Barrs
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:

That's what I thought. Thanks!
http://www.facebook.com/LgmRacingAndDevelopment

Shelton_Barrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:49 PM   #10
Manic Machinist
Pullin gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolmakeron View Post
I don't know of any online, but I'd be happy to help if you like. I've balanced over 10,000 engines, or I can send you a copy of my work sheet, so you can easily do it yourself
Man, that would be great.

2350 grams seems a common rough balance point, and I wanted to figure out what type of recipricating assembly it takes to make up a 2350 gram bob weight. I would guess that 2350 grams is slightly more than a typical H-beam rod/ forged piston bobweight. Would that be correct?

toolmakeron, could you send me the file or pic of a worksheet or let me know where its available?

How much do you guys add for the weight of the oil. Isnt this a theoretical value?
Old 01-24-2010, 04:54 PM   #11
Manic Machinist
Pullin gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real McCoy View Post

LOL, that was ON-line, like, www.bobweightcalculator.com.

It would be cool if there was a bobweight calculator like Diamond Pistons compression calculator. Just fill in the blanks, and it spits out the answer.

.....but hey, I dont mind doin' it on paper.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:07 PM   #12
toolmakeron
Burnout box

Hi Maniac Machinist.I will send the worksheet to you as soon as I can . Basically,you add up the rotating weight of the con rod with the weight of the rod bearing set.Now multiply it by 2, then add 4 grams of oil allowance weight (6 grams for bbchev )to this .Put this # aside for now. Add the piston/pin weight with the reciprocating rod weight, also add the ring set weight & pin clips or oil ring support ring (if used). This weight is added to the rotating #'s previously saved. this will be your bobweight #'s to be used. Hope I haven't left anything out. Any questions, please don't hesitate to call me (403) 277 0505 .Consider checking out my website,at custombalancing.com Thanks
Old 01-24-2010, 10:20 PM   #13
toolmakeron
Burnout box

Hi Real McCoy, yes I have balanced over 10,000 engines, from go-karts, to funny cars.My record to date is 13 balances from Fri.night through the weekend to Mon. a.m..Not 1 easy small block in the bunch.I have just finished balancing a weird cummins 8 cyl diesel/ compressor (oilfield) engine . The crank weighs 200 lbs.I had to make up the bobweights to (are you sitting down?) 10,500 grams! This has been my longest , hardest balance to date. Including some r&d , due to huge imbalance problems, I've got about 70 hours into it.It was so badly out of balance, that the crank was bouncing up from the machine , more than 1 inch! Talk about shitting your pants! Can't show pictures of it without customers permission.I'll ask them this week if they mind. Some of you guys might have a good laugh.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:48 PM   #14
thjts
Pre-Staged

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolmakeron View Post
Hi Real McCoy, yes I have balanced over 10,000 engines, from go-karts, to funny cars.My record to date is 13 balances from Fri.night through the weekend to Mon. a.m..Not 1 easy small block in the bunch.I have just finished balancing a weird cummins 8 cyl diesel/ compressor (oilfield) engine . The crank weighs 200 lbs.I had to make up the bobweights to (are you sitting down?) 10,500 grams! This has been my longest , hardest balance to date. Including some r&d , due to huge imbalance problems, I've got about 70 hours into it.It was so badly out of balance, that the crank was bouncing up from the machine , more than 1 inch! Talk about shitting your pants! Can't show pictures of it without customers permission.I'll ask them this week if they mind. Some of you guys might have a good laugh.
Far out! That's something I'd like to see!
thjts is offline   Reply With Quote