4l60E binding in 1st gear question. - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Transmission - Hutch's Transmission Service

Transmission - Hutch's Transmission Service

Old 10-11-2009, 08:53 PM   #1
rickou812
Launchin

Default 4l60E binding in 1st gear question.

I have a 4l60E that is what I would describe as binding in 1st gear, manual low or drive range.
What I mean by binding is it takes excessive pedal to move forward and the rear tires will actually lock up/slide when letting off the pedal.
As soon as it shifts to 2nd, it will immediately unbind, feels like a rubber band snapping..
reverse, 2nd, 3rd, and OD is all good.
Band clearance is within specifications.
Any ideas on this one?

Thanks
rickou812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2009, 12:05 AM   #2
Crosley
Launchin

Exclamation Re: 4l60E binding in 1st gear question.

What is the history on this trans? Did this problem just appear one day?

Recent repair work ? A Rebuild? A trans from a wrecking yard?

Could be a problem of a cross leak that is feeding the wrong clutch pack
Old 10-12-2009, 07:20 AM   #3
Vince @ FLT
Spooled up

Default Re: 4l60E binding in 1st gear question.

Do you have the hd2 kit installed? If so your trans might be in a limp mode condition from a code stored in the computer or you do not have power at the trans. With the gear command function in manual low, when a limp mode condition is present, (3rd gear applied) you will have the same issue like you described. Hope this helps. Vince Bielanski
Old 10-12-2009, 04:24 PM   #4
rickou812
Launchin

Here is the deal with the trans. This transmission was built about 4 years ago and sold through a well known vendor in the LS1 world. I prefer not to mention any business names, as this situation was several years ago, and it was made right as best as could be. The reason I am asking the question now, is for personal knowledge about what could have caused the issue.
The trans was purchased as a level 4 build for a 500+ HP capacity. With vacuum modulation, but retained auto shifts.
The first one received seemed to be perfect for about 10 -20 miles, then started the binding like issue. The builder sent new 2/3, 3/4 servo components and shorter servo pin, he felt it was a band apply issue. Parts was changed out with no effect, trans continued to bind. No codes set by PCM. Trans was removed and shipped back.
2nd trans received and installed. This time, the binding was there immediately.
Pulled trans, shipped back and requested a full refund plus my core returned, which had been already shipped to the builder after the first trans.
Received a core trans back. I rebuilt the core trans myself and it was almost perfect, had slow 2/3 shift, but other wise was perfect. No change in tuning or no codes cleared etc.. I ran this trans for about 3 years before changing to a th350.

So as I stated above, I am just looking to learn what may have caused the symptoms for future knowledge in case I run into a similar situation again..

Thanks again
Old 10-12-2009, 04:33 PM   #5
rickou812
Launchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT View Post
Do you have the hd2 kit installed? If so your trans might be in a limp mode condition from a code stored in the computer or you do not have power at the trans. With the gear command function in manual low, when a limp mode condition is present, (3rd gear applied) you will have the same issue like you described. Hope this helps. Vince Bielanski
Something else I remembered about the symptoms. It seemed to start in second if in D or OD.
It was hard to tell a difference between starting in second, or binding up in first when in D or OD due to the high stall. But if in D or OD, the rear tires would not lock up like they would if in manual first.
I didn't noticed the binding in first until I placed in manual low while attempting to diagnose what was going on and would have the brakes on effect, (would slide rear tires when let off the accelerator)

It did not seem to be ECU related since the issue resolved with a different trans..

Have I made this clear as mud..lol
Old 10-12-2009, 08:01 PM   #6
turbocolt2.4l
Pre-Staged

do you have the 3 8mm head bolts in the rite place? if you install vb bolts in wrong spot it will bind up.
turbocolt2.4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:52 AM   #7
Jp outlaw
peanut hunter!!!
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbocolt2.4l View Post
do you have the 3 8mm head bolts in the rite place? if you install vb bolts in wrong spot it will bind up.
It will be bound up from the git go and decent power will tend to snap/cut them off. - Yeah, made that mistake once.
www.outlawtenfiveracing.com
www.transmission-specialties.com
25.4 '85 notchback for sale; roller or turn-key
Jp outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:33 PM   #8
Whitby Transmission
Spooled up

earlier transmissions had cross leak issues at case and valvebody by manual valve ,no bolts in that area.also earlier low reverse pistons had bleed of issues and were updated or drilled the original. Most times when you take trans apart you can see were it is failing if you know what to look for and know how it works.
Whitby Transmission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:40 PM   #9
rickou812
Launchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitby Transmission View Post
earlier transmissions had cross leak issues at case and valvebody by manual valve ,no bolts in that area.also earlier low reverse pistons had bleed of issues and were updated or drilled the original. Most times when you take trans apart you can see were it is failing if you know what to look for and know how it works.
Thanks for the reply. This was a LS1 type transmission(removable bell, 300mm input shaft), does this qualify as an early model?
Old 10-13-2009, 07:31 PM   #10
redvictor
from across the pond...
Smoked Another SBC

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickou812 View Post
Thanks for the reply. This was a LS1 type transmission(removable bell, 300mm input shaft), does this qualify as an early model?
No,that's a later post 1995 model.
A huge thanks to my US sponsors: Precision Turbo, Neal Chance racing converters,Total Seal, VP fuels, Injector Dynamics, Fast Motorsports, Turbosmart USA, Race Flow Development, Victory Performance, Diamond Pistons, Red Line Oil, Hutch transmissions, New Century Performance, Hoosier Tire, Manton Pushrods and Turbowerx.
Andy Frost race transmissions. www.redvictor1racing.co.uk http://www.facebook.com/Redvictor
redvictor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:05 PM   #11
jforrtvalley
Pullin gears

you put the 8mm bolts in the wrong spot in the valve body i think
jforrtvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:43 AM   #12
Jp outlaw
peanut hunter!!!
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jforrtvalley View Post
you put the 8mm bolts in the wrong spot in the valve body i think
He said the first one was fine for the first 10-20 miles, then started the binding issue. If it were the bolt issue, I would think it would have been immediate.
www.outlawtenfiveracing.com
www.transmission-specialties.com
25.4 '85 notchback for sale; roller or turn-key
Jp outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote