Yellow Bullet Forums banner

caging a truck question.

178K views 1K replies 77 participants last post by  grunt5510 
#1 ·
how are all you truck guys doing it?
im planing on going with a 10 point and i want to run the back bars going to the frame out the back plexi glass window. my question is how do you go about doing it? put the window in first then drill the holes then weld? or put the bars in threw the window then weld then somehow place the rear window?

i know its kinda a newb question but better i ask and look stupid then wast money trying to figure out the right way to go about it

#2 ·
Depends on if you want to take the cab off. I've always put the bar as close as you can to the top then notch the window and slide it under the bar . Or if you don't want to take the cab off later you could just holesaw the window and run the bars thru them. Also if you put a little kick in the top the notch won't be as big.

#7 ·
in running mine throught the glass or should i say lexan i dnt wana cut the cab up as if chopping the top 5 inchs wasnt enough ima mock up the bars and make sue thats where they go and evrything is tits and mark the glass and cut that section out install window and slide bars through the holes...any pics of the truck?

#9 ·
hey thats a good idea gilsbachracecraft...never thought about that..

#10 ·
Thanks buddy,it depends on the truck and where the main hoop ends up.Some of the old Fords had windows that were really low and it would be impossible.Have I seen some video of your truck floating around the web?White turbo f-100:cool:

#12 ·
i wanted to run the bars through the window but dont know now..id have to run a bar across the inside of the hoop all the way across but itd be drop down 3-5 inches and i dnt think that will fly..ill get a pic later of it and post it..

#13 ·

the interior is gong to be all black as well as the truck. i am puting some 15x4 front and 15x10 rear convo pros with 28x14.5 hoosier quick time pros.
I decided on the F1R procharger for the 496 that im building
TH400 with trans brake and 4k stall

Hoping for high 9's.

#217 ·

the interior is gong to be all black as well as the truck. i am puting some 15x4 front and 15x10 rear convo pros with 28x14.5 hoosier quick time pros.
I decided on the F1R procharger for the 496 that im building
TH400 with trans brake and 4k stall

Hoping for high 9's.
Hope you can go faster than that with all of that if not I will sell you a street legal full interior a/c with overdrive truck that will run that . But now back to subject I need to send you some pics of mine Madman done there is more bars under truck that in the truck but it hooks and goes straight and rides good.

#15 ·
i ran the bars on my s10 toward the top of the window frame. so all i had to do is notch the lexan first by cutting a hole with a hole size the size of tubing the making two cuts to make the notch. the take the piece that you cut out and silicone back in or make a plate to cover up. that worked for me

#17 ·
ok guys here we go with some pics..now Gilsbach please chime in with any info you can offer or anyone at that who has helpful insight...thanks guys!!

#18 ·

a quick shot of the engine compartment....

#20 ·
ok so heres my dilemma...could i run a bar across the inside of the hoop for the back bars to attach to or do i need to go directly to the main hoop itself? judging by the pics and mock up statues it would only be 2 inches or so but if i cant and have no say in it then into the cab i cut...

#22 ·
thats what i was thinkn too..

#23 ·
You have to run the bars to the main hoop. If you are going to the side where they turn down, you can connect as much as 5" from the highest part of the hoop and still be legal.

I was lucky enough to be able to angle mine and have it go thru the lexan.

#25 ·
I basically cut two "U" shaped cutouts, then slid the window into place. Then I put the top portion of the cutout parts back into place. It wasn't as "finished" as I wanted it to be, but it works. The plan was to put a black vinyl "mask" on the lexan around the edges just like the factory windows to give it a more finished look.

#26 ·
ok so let me get this clear duner..i have 5 inches of leway from where the bends of the hoop come down to weld to?

#27 ·
#28 ·
i would put a bend on the top of the rear down bars so that the are level and drill a hole in the cab it will be a clean install cut under the tube to be able to drop the hoop down to weld all the way around the tube I just finished a truck and its more work to do a truck moch up the center tube on the main hoop also and take then remove to hoop to weld all the way around are out going to run out riggers for the cage

#31 ·
I ran outriggers from my frame to mount the rollbar to.

To make it easier to weld the bars at the top - I cut holes thru the floor of the cab for the main tubes to drop tru. That let the main hoop drop lower to allow me to weld all the way around the tubes at the top easily. I plated the bottom where the rollbar goes thru the floor, and sandwiched the floor between the plates. This keeps the cab mounted to the rollbar instead of letting the cab still ride on the rubber mounts and move all the time. I wanted it rigid - but I will admit that it makes it noisier in the cab since the sound travels thru the rollbar.

I ran the main hoop above the headliner since my helmet rubs the headliner as it is now. There would be no room between headliner and my head to put the rollbar thru.

#30 ·
ok thanks duner makes sense...looks like i can get away with making a x with the bars then?

#32 ·
I don't see why not. I've seen quite a few truck and cars with the back downtubes in an X configuration. It looks like it would be stronger that way also.

On my truck, I load my slicks, tools, ice chests and chairs to go to the track. I wanted as much usable space left in the bed as I could get. But the X does look good.

#33 ·
nice work duner i was looking for the main hoop to..lol ima do thr outriggers to on mine its just they got be kind long i dnt know yet ima work on the rear today like spring bracket locations and shit ill send pics up to post..thanks for your info duner it really helped

#34 ·
ok guys i got some pics of what i was doin today i jus tacked it all not sure if im doing it right ..please let me know if iam..the truck is at ride height and level got them in ans adjusment is all the way up and there still isnt any weight down on them so i was thinkn maybe flip that axle brackets the other way to get more adjustment or?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.