Anyone using BME Aluminum rods in their streeter? - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Tech Questions - Monson Racing

Tech Questions - Monson Racing

Old 08-30-2009, 07:52 AM   #1
532man
Pre-Staged

Default Anyone using BME Aluminum rods in their streeter?

It seems very hard to find people running them in street cars although the BME websites seems adamant they will last a very long time. I would like to try their 396 series in my new engine.

Anyone running spray on them? It's my understanding a good aluminum rod is a good idea.

Thoughts?
532man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2009, 09:30 AM   #2
CarNut68
Master Fabricator
Smoked another BBC

Default Re: Anyone using BME Aluminum rods in their streeter?

I have heard of it before, but you know aluminum has a shelf life in an engine. Eventually they will break on you.

Why not run steel? Why do you need the aluminum rods in your motor?

1967 Firebird, 598 BBC, 14-71 Littlefield

Click for Build Photos

Dart, Callies, JE, Total Seal, Brodix, Littlefield, Crower, Manton, Reher Morrison, Lemons, Bullet Cams, Jesel, MSD, Magna Fuel, Strange, CA FAB9, Transmission Specalities
CarNut68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:40 AM   #3
532man
Pre-Staged

I suppose I don't but I would rather run an aluminum rod with nitrous than steel. Also, going by what BME has to say, they are a reliable rod with good longevity if installed and maintained correctly.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:11 PM   #4
desoto30
Smoked Another SBC

I have also heard that aluminium age hardens also. I don't know if this is relavent to our purposes or not though. Maybe a metallurgist could say here.
desoto30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:50 PM   #5
BigRich954RR
Launchin

Whats you power level ? It all about how much you push them alum rod could go for 50 years and million miles at a lower power level. Alum rods are better for all out MAX power level with super high loads for short times.
With this said steel rods are very good for high power and street. 3 set of motors 7K and 8k rpms zones 700hp 800hp and 1000hp all lived fine with steel rods bearings look greats with all rebuilds
BigRich954RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:24 PM   #6
1986iroc
Smoked another BBC

I know a guy that runs BME in his 498 indi motor. He talked to them they said no issue just car goes no place till temp is 140. He said he has no problem at all. I would call BME and talk to them.
1986iroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:40 PM   #7
532man
Pre-Staged

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRich954RR View Post
Whats you power level ? It all about how much you push them alum rod could go for 50 years and million miles at a lower power level. Alum rods are better for all out MAX power level with super high loads for short times.
With this said steel rods are very good for high power and street. 3 set of motors 7K and 8k rpms zones 700hp 800hp and 1000hp all lived fine with steel rods bearings look greats with all rebuilds
900ish hp aspirated and up to 500 hp on spray.

Street car so it will putter around under 4000 rpm 99% of the time.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:41 PM   #8
532man
Pre-Staged

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986iroc View Post
I know a guy that runs BME in his 498 indi motor. He talked to them they said no issue just car goes no place till temp is 140. He said he has no problem at all. I would call BME and talk to them.
I have no problem waiting until it's warmed up also. Will get onto BME.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:12 AM   #9
Anglia 48
Smoked another BBC

I talked to Bill Miller about using them on the street on mine.He told me they would work,but it is important to bring engine up to operating temp before driving.This is on a 1200-1300hp set up.I have Crower titanium rods right now,but probably will not use them because there is 2 systems of nos going on it.
Anglia 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:20 AM   #10
532man
Pre-Staged

Anyone have anything further to add to this topic?
Old 09-03-2009, 01:00 PM   #11
alkyal
Launchin

I understand that the oil temp has to be controlled. A oil heater/cooler may be in order.[this unit uses the water in the engine to heat the oil and to control the max temp-250/270deg F max] The circle track crowd often uses these for the same purpose. Just be sure to get one LARGE enough. Try Behlings circle track supply in Wisconson-I believe they stock them.
alkyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:32 PM   #12
manyponies
Spooled up

Don't use the engine as a brake. Engines are made to make it go. Brakes make it stop. Using the engine as a brake loads the rods differently than power does.
manyponies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:41 PM   #13
Warp Speed
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 532man View Post
900ish hp aspirated and up to 500 hp on spray.

Street car so it will putter around under 4000 rpm 99% of the time.
+

Put a good steel rod in it and forget about it!
Warp Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:06 PM   #14
coupe
الكتاب المقدس حزام سير
Smoked Another SBC

A connecting rod sees cyclic loads. Each engine revolution loads a rod in compression, then tension. The mass of the piston assembly has to stop and change directions at each transition from pull to push... this yields an alternating Force on the rod. Heavier pistons means more forces on the rod at given RPM.

Ok... if your engine averages 5000RPM for 5 minutes each weekend, your rods will have gone through 1.3 million cycles of tension and compression in one year (if you race all 52 weekends). It's just an example sure, but shows that a number like this is relatively easy to estimate for a racecar since RPM is more constant for short periods of time.

A streetcar, however, varies RPM greatly and can run for sometimes hours at a time... so even though the RPM is lower (reduced rod force), it still sees more cycles due to run-time...and the number of cycles and force are what determine the rod's lifespan.

Now, the problem with aluminum rods (or anything made of aluminum used in a machine) is that unlike steel, it cannot be designed to have an infinite "cycles to failure." Knowing the number of cycles a rod goes through (along with the forces exerted) can get you a rough estimate of the aluminum rod's lifespan...again, not too difficult in a race engine. But on a streetcar, the loads and number of cycles is really all over the place and it's not practical to even take a guess, thus they're not usually recommended.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:43 PM   #15
WJ Birmingham
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post
A connecting rod sees cyclic loads. Each engine revolution loads a rod in compression, then tension. The mass of the piston assembly has to stop and change directions at each transition from pull to push... this yields an alternating Force on the rod. Heavier pistons means more forces on the rod at given RPM.

Ok... if your engine averages 5000RPM for 5 minutes each weekend, your rods will have gone through 1.3 million cycles of tension and compression in one year (if you race all 52 weekends). It's just an example sure, but shows that a number like this is relatively easy to estimate for a racecar since RPM is more constant for short periods of time.

A streetcar, however, varies RPM greatly and can run for sometimes hours at a time... so even though the RPM is lower (reduced rod force), it still sees more cycles due to run-time...and the number of cycles and force are what determine the rod's lifespan.

Now, the problem with aluminum rods (or anything made of aluminum used in a machine) is that unlike steel, it cannot be designed to have an infinite "cycles to failure." Knowing the number of cycles a rod goes through (along with the forces exerted) can get you a rough estimate of the aluminum rod's lifespan...again, not too difficult in a race engine. But on a streetcar, the loads and number of cycles is really all over the place and it's not practical to even take a guess, thus they're not usually recommended.
While I concur with everything you said, you should go read BME's site if you haven't.

http://www.bmeltd.com/rods.htm

Down toward the bottom is the, um, hmm, "advertising" for his rods in a street motor.