MSD Digital 6 Plus problems - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Tech Questions - Monson Racing

Tech Questions - Monson Racing

Old 12-13-2006, 09:39 PM   #1
TheMyth
Spooled up

Default MSD Digital 6 Plus problems

I have heard some horror stories about the Digital 6 Plus. I have been looking to move up to this box from my 6AL, but having second thoughts now. How many of you have any experience with this ignition box good or bad. Is it worth it?? Looking for some input.
Thanks.
TheMyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2006, 09:47 PM   #2
Louie L
Smoked another BBC

I can tell u that weve gone thru 4 DIS 4 boxes ...Wont give one to my worst enemy. The banging we got from MSD still hurts my rear. The DIS-6 is in the same family.

I have changed over to the Crane HI6 with no issues. II have turned at least 5 guys over to Crane boxes. All are running with absolutely NO problems. These are on cars ranging from min. 650 HP to 1,000HP.
HTH
Old 12-13-2006, 10:15 PM   #3
95silverstallion
Smoked Another SBC

I've had my Dig6 for 3 years with no issues at all.
95silverstallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:58 PM   #4
1KWIK72
Smoked another BBC

I have heard second hand about people having issues with them. I switched from a 6AL to the Digital6 a couple years ago and have not had 1 problem ever. I also have a buddy that has ran them in 2 different cars with no issues. We both do a lot of racing 250-300 passes a yr. I will say the rev limiters are a lot "smoother" meaning it dosen't seem to pop and bang as much on the 2 step. I bought mine primarly because I needed a start retard when I locked the timing out. I could have added another box to my 6AL but I would have had to change distributors as well. I never hooked it up but it also has a switched retard to use with nitrous. I thought about using it along with a switch in first gear to pull some timing out on launch but never tried it. The best part is no more stupid chips to loose go bad or vibrate out. BTW I know where you may be able to score a decent used one ;-)

Craig
1KWIK72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 12:43 AM   #5
TheMyth
Spooled up

Thanks guys, I was also wondering what coil most people were using with this ignition box ?? I was given the recommendation of MSD Blaster HVC #8252 or #8253.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:46 AM   #6
TheMyth
Spooled up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KWIK72
I have heard second hand about people having issues with them. I switched from a 6AL to the Digital6 a couple years ago and have not had 1 problem ever. I also have a buddy that has ran them in 2 different cars with no issues. We both do a lot of racing 250-300 passes a yr. I will say the rev limiters are a lot "smoother" meaning it dosen't seem to pop and bang as much on the 2 step. I bought mine primarly because I needed a start retard when I locked the timing out. I could have added another box to my 6AL but I would have had to change distributors as well. I never hooked it up but it also has a switched retard to use with nitrous. I thought about using it along with a switch in first gear to pull some timing out on launch but never tried it. The best part is no more stupid chips to loose go bad or vibrate out. BTW I know where you may be able to score a decent used one ;-)

Craig
Thanks Craig, I also asked you the same question in a PM over at GoFast, but you pretty much covered it here, so kindly ignore the message sir.
Greg
Old 12-14-2006, 02:21 AM   #7
95silverstallion
Smoked Another SBC

I'm using a Crane coil. It pretty old but I think it was LX92 or something like that. I had the coil long before the Dig 6.
95silverstallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 12:09 PM   #8
68Bird
Smoked Another SBC

Been running a digital 6 in my car for 3+ years w/o problems. I've had several people comment that they can't tell when I'm on the 2 step, it's very smooth compared to the older boxes. Plus the start retard and N2O activation features are nice.

I have a spare with only a few passes on it I'm getting ready to sell to upgrade to the digital 7 programmable box. Looking to get $225 for it. Send me a PM if your interested.

Craig
2010 & 2013 MTSS Super Street Champion
2011 MAKO Real Street Champion

Follow Ten5Motorsports on Facebook:
www.facebook.com/Ten-5-MotorsportsCraig-Ondrick-Racing

Thanks to:

www.MandMtransmission.com
www.RaceFlowDevelopment.com
www.JakesPerformanceFabrication.com
www.HyperformanceRacing.com
www.PaintedwithPowder.com
www.TimsBodyandGlass.com
68Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 06:08 PM   #9
AutoRoc
Smoked another BBC

I have all MSD stuff from top to bottom and the ONLY bad item so far has been a new Digital 6 box.. Running a 6AL until I can return the Digi 6 for a replacement or something. It has a really bad miss from idle to redline. Very on and off, like I'm flipping the ignition on and off while going down the track. A buddy has the same setup with no problems so I'd assume mine is a fluke? Goodluck!
11.26 @ 126mph
AutoRoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 07:49 PM   #10
TheMyth
Spooled up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie L
I can tell u that weve gone thru 4 DIS 4 boxes ...Wont give one to my worst enemy. The banging we got from MSD still hurts my rear. The DIS-6 is in the same family.

I have changed over to the Crane HI6 with no issues. II have turned at least 5 guys over to Crane boxes. All are running with absolutely NO problems. These are on cars ranging from min. 650 HP to 1,000HP.
HTH
Louie, you have a PM.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:39 AM   #11
maxamus
Smoked Another SBC

I bought mine in 2001 or 2002 I believe and I have not had any problems.
http://tinyurl.com/y5yf3n Gets good @ 5.10 MIN
URATCHKO POWER IS ALIVE
PHUCK WITH THE BULL AND YOU WILL GET THE HORN
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnhruLK2468&eurl=
maxamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 11:29 AM   #12
BJCRAZYZ
Smoked another BBC

3 years with no problems on digital 6
BJCRAZYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 01:42 PM   #13
Mike Moore
Pullin gears

2 years on mine and no problems, and like 68Bird, you couldn't tell when I was on the 2 step. Very smooth action.
Mike Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 05:32 PM   #14
TheMyth
Spooled up

Thanks guys I appreciate the input. Any and all information and experience is a great help.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:38 PM   #15
Ed-vancedEngines
Smoked another BBC

Location: Temp location. In a bed in McKinney, Tx. Call anytime on Cell 972-464-7400

The Digital 6 and all of the Digital MSD boxes are very good units. MSD also goes far beyond the average at taking care of problems with their units.

Here culd be the cause for some problems some may have had. Any Digital piece of electronics for car or for any use needs a Voltage Spike Protector. Digital equipment is very easily suseptile to voltage spikes. Your Digital Computer is, I hope you have a Voltage Spike Protector in line with it. MSD and all others making any Digital CD Boxes do offer a Volage Spike Protector at s an option.

MSD has pretty much what could be called an unconditional warranty on all of their products to the original purchaser of one year, providing the customer has not butchered the unit or the wire harness and made then really short.

If the Digital 6 was not in warranty and was several years old, they will repair/replace it for a full fee of only $75.00

I can not understand why Louie had so many problems with MSD or their tech. The warranty is not good if you are not the original purchaser with the purchase receipt, unless the date code of the unit is still showing in warranty.

The Digital 6 will blow away the MSD 7 AL2. The 7AL3 is stronger.

Ed
Ed-vancedEngines is offline   Reply With Quote