ISKY Easy Roll Lifters - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Tech Questions - Monson Racing

Tech Questions - Monson Racing

Old 07-22-2009, 10:07 PM   #1
7secondmalibu
Smoked another BBC

Default ISKY Easy Roll Lifters

Anyone have any experience with these? I've broken two tie bars on two different Crower lifters so I'm upgrading to keyed lifters with a .937 body. Jesels are nice but they are $2500. I'm calling LSM tomorrow and I just happened to see these. No idea on the price of the LSM or Isky yet.

http://www.iskycams.com/RedZoneAdLR2.pdf
Gressmanpowersports.com
Tubingjon.com
JR Racecraft

PM me for Laser Etched Chassis Tags.
7secondmalibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2009, 10:15 PM   #2
FTBing
Burnout box

Default Re: ISKY Easy Roll Lifters

don't know what you're doing wrong but their are guys out bracket racing every weekend all across the country running Crower Severe Duty roller lifters in 1000+HP BBC built by the best in the business that are not breaking them and they are getting hundreds of runs, with some reporting over 1000 passes.
FTBing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:23 PM   #3
7secondmalibu
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTBing View Post
don't know what you're doing wrong but their are guys out bracket racing every weekend all across the country running Crower Severe Duty roller lifters in 1000+HP BBC built by the best in the business that are not breaking them and they are getting hundreds of runs, with some reporting over 1000 passes.
Mine were the .904 lifters at 9000rpm. 380lbs closed pressure and 1000lbs open pressure. One of my issues I'm taking care of is only 1.65 rocker ratio and a very large lobe lift. I'm looking at around 1.75 ratio and knocking a lot of the lobe lift out. That takes a lot of motion out of the lifter and puts more stress on the rocker arms.
Gressmanpowersports.com
Tubingjon.com
JR Racecraft

Old 07-23-2009, 09:52 AM   #4
revolutionary
Smoked another BBC

I think you're on the right path with the Jesel lifters. You are right though that bumping up the rocker will let you take it easy on the cam lobe. It will also kick the valve open at a faster rate and 'should' pick up a little power even with the same gross lift and duration @ .050.

I've got a set of Comp's new super-duper lifters coming my way to test out. Supposed to be between a Crower Severe Duty and a Jesel as far as strength and durability. Looking forward to seeing them as the Comp lifters have had a bad rap (rightfully so) for a long time and they are wanting to change that.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:09 PM   #5
BEAST540
Pre-Staged

I'm running the E-Z Roll lifters. So far so good. Not alot of passes yet and mine are the .904's at about $1000.
BEAST540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:41 PM   #6
SHAWN DAVIS
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTBing View Post

especially the tie bar, dont think I have ever broken those before. that shouldnt be a ratio or cam profile concern
SHAWN DAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:24 AM   #7
598nos
Smoked another BBC

Jim from Oddy's talked me into running these a year ago. 0 problems. .904 They were under $1000 from him directly. Im using them now with 330/950 in a Dart block and put about 500 street miles on them. running a 1.7 ratio
Old 07-25-2009, 11:49 PM   #8
7secondmalibu
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAWN DAVIS View Post
especially the tie bar, dont think I have ever broken those before. that shouldnt be a ratio or cam profile concern
First tie bar was bent and I found it after the pass. Second tie bar lifter I didn't catch until the tie bar broke off both lifters and wedged itself between the cam and the block. Two years in a row breaking the tie bar is why I'm switching to keyed lifters. I was thinking the ratio might have had a little to do with it because the small rocker ratio requires a large cam lobe to get the valve lift I want. The tie bar is on a very sharp angle when one lifter is at the top of the cam lobe and the other lifter is at the bottom or on the base circle of the cam. Larger rocker ratio allows a smaller cam lobe and the lifter doesn't have to travel so much. Plus with the keyed I get a larger axle and wheel and no more tie bar from a .937 body diameter. I just have to pick a good set of lifters.
Gressmanpowersports.com
Tubingjon.com
JR Racecraft

Old 07-26-2009, 04:24 AM   #9
Shoedoos
Smoked another BBC

Long read but worth it....

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic...er=asc&start=0
Shoedoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:23 PM   #10
7secondmalibu
Smoked another BBC

I just called Steve Schmidt and he said I may not be able to use a .937 lifter on a small block. He thought the cam lobes were to close and the lobe next to the lifter would hit the lifter body. Anyone ever here of this? I think I may go out and measure some cams to see how wide the lobes are.
Gressmanpowersports.com
Tubingjon.com
JR Racecraft

Old 07-31-2009, 10:14 AM   #11
revolutionary
Smoked another BBC

I've heard others say you can't really use a .937 lifter on a small block because there isn't enough space between lifters but I haven't put one in there to actually look at it. .904 usually does about all you need unless you look at offsetting the lifter bores and then installing the keyed bushings and running a custom core. That works pretty well for a comp style canted valve setup.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:00 PM   #12
turbotwo
Burnout box

slightly off topic but is there a real good benefit going .903 vs .842?

and then bushing as well?
turbotwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:31 AM   #13
Mills588
Smoked another BBC

The benefit of going to the wider lifter is better load dispersion on the lobe of the cam... and longer lifter life with heavy spring tensions. Now, with the new EZX non-needle bearing lifters... the need to go .903 isn't so much a concern. The bearing absorbs and spreads the load, so-to-speak.. easier than a bunch of tiny needle bearings..... so Isky says... You also have less weight with the .842's, which is beneficial in your overall valvetrain setup.. spring life goes up for one.... I have a set of .842's EZX's in my BBC, using the NexTek triples 360lbs on the seat and over a 1000lbs open.. mid 800 lift roller. I will put it them to the test and definitely post some comments. Just got the motor done and in the car. We have sold quite a few sets of these with no issues, for what that is worth. Take care.
Jeff@DGDragparts.com
425-327-0810

NOW AVAILABLE: Wilson Manifolds!

Smith Bros, ATI PROCHARGERS, AFR, Dart, Brodix, CFE & BMF, ProFiler, Manley, Callies, Erson, JE, Ross, Wiseco, Ferrea, Moroso, Pro Systems, Comp Cams, Erson, Hughes Performance, Trans- Specialties Full Line, ISKY, Strange Engineering Entire Line, TRZ Suspension Components, Smith Racecraft!.. and more!
Mills588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:15 PM   #14
7secondmalibu
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mills588 View Post
The benefit of going to the wider lifter is better load dispersion on the lobe of the cam... and longer lifter life with heavy spring tensions. Now, with the new EZX non-needle bearing lifters... the need to go .903 isn't so much a concern. The bearing absorbs and spreads the load, so-to-speak.. easier than a bunch of tiny needle bearings..... so Isky says... You also have less weight with the .842's, which is beneficial in your overall valvetrain setup.. spring life goes up for one.... I have a set of .842's EZX's in my BBC, using the NexTek triples 360lbs on the seat and over a 1000lbs open.. mid 800 lift roller. I will put it them to the test and definitely post some comments. Just got the motor done and in the car. We have sold quite a few sets of these with no issues, for what that is worth. Take care.
If I'm not mistaken the axle is also larger and therefore stronger in the .904's. I believe it is even bigger in the .937?
Gressmanpowersports.com
Tubingjon.com
JR Racecraft

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2009, 02:20 PM   #15
7secondmalibu
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolutionary View Post
I've heard others say you can't really use a .937 lifter on a small block because there isn't enough space between lifters but I haven't put one in there to actually look at it. .904 usually does about all you need unless you look at offsetting the lifter bores and then installing the keyed bushings and running a custom core. That works pretty well for a comp style canted valve setup.
I spoke to Rod at Isky about this. He said about 99% of the time they do not have the problem you mentioned above. I specifically asked that because I also heard that before. If you go to Crowers web site they list small block chevy .937 rollers. Isky and Crower are both around 100 grams each. I don't know what a pair of .904s weigh but I'm sure I could find out.
Gressmanpowersports.com
Tubingjon.com
JR Racecraft