No-hop bars - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Stock Suspension - TRZ Motorsports

Stock Suspension - TRZ Motorsports

Old 02-19-2009, 09:08 AM   #1
Valve body
Spooled up

Default No-hop bars

Hey guys,

I have a 1970 Monte Carlo and I would like to install some no-hop bars. What are you guys using for for A-bodies??
I know of Lakewood, Edelbrock, and Dick Miller.
Valve body is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2009, 02:02 PM   #2
NOS327
Launchin

Default Re: No-hop bars

I've got an Art Morrison (formerly the Gazan kit) on my '67 malibu. It's got 3 holes to choose from. I find that that the least severe change is right for the car. We tried the most severe setting on a couple friends' cars and both had way to much anti-squat, car was just stupid to drive. I'm not certain, but I think the Edelbrock kit moves the bar 3-4", which is too drastic in my opinion.

Note that you should have a decent shock on the car if you're going to start hitting the tires harder.

Lastly, at some point when you make enough power (what that number is, I can't guess) the long IC of stock configuration is sufficient. Wolferacecraft for example doesn't suggest relocating anything, they use stock mounting points, just upgrade rod ends and whatnot... also realize that their customers usually make twice the power that I do . Another example is a close friend of mine who had his lower rears relocated down (like southside bar) and was going 1.44-1.45 60' pretty regularly. Last season we abandoned the relocator and he went 1.399 on his first pass. That's a 3700 tank making somewhere in the neighborhood of 700hp at the tires.

cheers,
NOS327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:30 PM   #3
Valve body
Spooled up

Hey NOS327,

I have been referencing a old Popular Hot Rodding (1994) magazine that features a Gazan suspension install on '67 Chevelle. I wondered what happened to that guy..

The car is 1970 Chevrolet Monte Carlo that weighs 3966 lbs. It goes 12.8 in the 1/4 and produces about 450 HP. I was experiencing tire spin so I wanted to try some suspension upgrades. What I can afford right now is; Edelbrock adjust uppers, older Lakewood no-hop bars and air bags. I will be using a 10.5 slick. I am hoping that a change in instant centre will apply more pressure to the tires instead of the suspension.

What shocks do you recommend?? Right now I am using Walmart stock units. Would the rear coil springs be more difficult for the Walmart shocks to control??

Thanks
Old 02-19-2009, 10:13 PM   #4
JeffMcKC
Smoked Another SBC

They are not needed and if you go faster you will end up taking them off for sure
2007 Winner SB/NA Drag Week 9.98
Quickest Small Block N/A car on Drag Week as Taylor Swift would say EVER
Thanks Curtis @ RFD Heads and Intakes
http://www.raceflowdevelopment.com/
JeffMcKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:31 PM   #5
Chevelle Rob
Smoked Another SBC

if you are trying to run mid 12's maybe into the high 10's footbraking you can use them. I would reccomend the Morrison Gazan oes or Dick Miller and use the middle or bottom hole. The Miller ones only have two. I am knocking on the 9's and am going back to stock location and anti roll plus new arms from TRZ

I have some I am taking off if you are interested.

"There is no such thing really as professional chefs anymore, given the pervasiveness of pots and pans."

~ Robert Mark
Chevelle Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:56 PM   #6
NOS327
Launchin

Valve body, I would take chevelle rob up on that offer... or, honestly it's cheapest/easiest to use like UMI's relocator for the lower control arm on the housing.

I went 1.59 60' on Monroe sensa-trac shocks and stock geometry suspension with factory style rear anti-sway bar. You must be hitting the tires hard somehow, a 12.80 car should only go about 1.70 which A-body suspension can easily do with a good set of tires. How old are your slicks? or how badly prepped is your track?

Is your car twisting up? Airbags are kind of old tech (sorry to offend anyone), I'd search for an anti-sway bar of some sort instead.
NOS327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:53 AM   #7
Valve body
Spooled up

Hello guys,

I am new to this forum and it is great to get some input from you lads with racing exp. You guys have some great 60 foot times!! Next year I planning to compete in the local bracket racing scene.

http://www.luskvilledragway.com/newsb.htm

I took a look at those Morrison units and they appear to be a improved design over the competition. The holes bear a little resemblance to a 4 link system. I will be eyeing them next year for sure as upgrades. Right now, I will have to use the old model Lakewoods....

In these vids I am using a 275-60-15 MT Drag radial with around 20 psi. This upcoming season I will be using a 10.5 MT drag slick instead. I the video I have all stock uppers, braced lowers, rear sway bar, and poly bushings. The track wasn't highly prepped when what I understand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVl00qSOS5M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTPu0JXbcz0

1.992 60 foot
8.312 1/8 mile
86.145 1/8 mile mph speed
12.883 1/4 mile
106.854 mph
Sept 21 2008

When I got the car 4 corner weighed there was a slight pre-load on the driver corner. Since I already have the bags alrady I will use them to adjust accordingly.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:57 PM   #8
JeffMcKC
Smoked Another SBC

Your front is over sprung and bound up this is the most common problem with people on these style susp. But they still work on the rear of the car. Propperly set up, no hop bars are not needed.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:10 AM   #9
Valve body
Spooled up

Thanks Jeff,
You have a good eye for vid take off analyzing. Yes, I am using Moog BB coil springs part#6330 they are pretty stiff. I would like to install the Moroso units at some point.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:23 PM   #10
JeffMcKC
Smoked Another SBC

When you change them also at least install the Global west Del -Lum bushings they will make a huge difference
Old 02-21-2009, 07:20 PM   #11
Valve body
Spooled up

I was just reading this Car Craft article,

http://www.dickmillerracing.com/MagazineArticle8.htm

and they mentioned in some that the Moroso springs could not support the front end weight of their Buick.
My front end weight is 2138 LBS maybe I should look for a set of 6 cylinder Chevelle springs??

The Moroso springs can only seem to withstand 1810 lbs max

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...=KeywordSearch
Old 02-26-2009, 08:33 PM   #12
69 BBC 442
Burnout box

I saw that article too and was surprised. I have an alum head bbc in mine and I had to cut a coil off the Moroso trick springs. I'd say the Moroso springs will work the 6 cyl springs might be too light.
69 BBC 442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2009, 05:01 PM   #13
rippinriley
Spooled up

My car looks the same taking off{g-body } small block chevy 1.68 60 ft. 11.60 1/4 what type of front spring should I use Jeff? I think it has some diesel springs in it now?
rippinriley is offline   Reply With Quote