SBC Intakes - 4500/4150 adapter vs. 4500 - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Naturally Aspirated - Uratchko Racing Engines

Naturally Aspirated - Uratchko Racing Engines

Old 08-03-2006, 12:35 AM   #1
JasonG
Launchin

Default SBC Intakes - 4500/4150 adapter vs. 4500

Recently, a friend of mine built an 18 deg. 427 ci SBC and tested several camshafts and intakes on the dyno. To our surprise, a 4150 Bowtie intake with a 2" tall 4500 to 4150 carb adapter matched to the intake was about 20HP/20lb-ft better than a modified 4500 Brodix/HVH intake. This was a 760 HP/600 lb-ft deal. Peak power occured at 7200 RPM.

Has anyone else found this to be true?

At what point is the larger plenum volume of a true 4500 intake needed/wanted? Although the 2" spacer does add considerable volume with additional velocity.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason G.
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2006, 08:06 AM   #2
Chris Uratchko
Smoked Another SBC

Well, I think there are too many variables in there to conclude that a 4150 intake with an adapter, works better than a straight 4500 intake, across the board... obviously it worked better on your engine.

I would draw the conclusion from the outside, that the 4500 brodix intake was just modified incorrectly, or was the wrong intake for the combination, given the runner cross section, port taper, plenum shape, depth, runner length, etc...

So many variables.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:51 PM   #3
JasonG
Launchin

Chris,

Have you used the Brodix/HVH 4500 intakes with any success?? The extended runners are fairly thin (tight radius) and laid over and appear to block flow to the inner cylinders. I have not tested it on a bench to verify, but that is my first glance thoughts. Also, the area where air exits the carb venturi extends about .25-.375" toward the center of the plenum, causing the air to have to take a very tight radius to enter the runner. The Bowtie intake in comparison uses runner dividers with a very thick (larger radius) runners.

The engine in question uses Ron's porting services CNC 18 deg. heads that are roughly 263 cc with a 2.86 sq. in minimum cross section. They go about 365 cfm @ .700 lift IIRC, with decent for 18 deg. heads mid-lift flow. The cam is one of Jays masterpieces and was worth about 25 HP and 20 lb-ft over a cam motion recommended cam. Lift is in the .800" range.

I also found it interesting that Reher-Morrison uses a Dart 4150 intake with dominator adapter on their new 427 SBC (4.185x 3.875) Super Series engine with Dart 15 deg. heads. It makes 840 HP and 670 lb-ft TQ.

It appears that starting with the 4150 intake and dominator adapter is a good starting point to work from even on 700-800 HP SBC engines.

What are some examples that showed more power with the 4500 intake?? If runner cross section and other physical characteristics are similar between the two, what are some other determining factors? I've got my own big inch 18 deg. engine and just assumed with the size it would want more plenum volume. It looks like it may be worth at least trying the "funnel ram" concept on it as well, especially if it is worth 20HP/20lb-ft.

Thanks,

Jason G.
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 06:58 AM   #4
Chris Uratchko
Smoked Another SBC

I had very good success with the super victor 4500... but, I will say by the time it's on the engine it does not ressemble anything like it came out of the box.

Same would go for the Brodix piece... I would not leave those dividers hanging out in the breeze so to speak.