Ok Old Detroit Street Stompers Get a Load of This Bullshit!!! - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Trash Or Be Trashed

Trash Or Be Trashed Where the weak are killed and eaten!!!! Vulgar language and nudity may be enclosed!! NWS

Old 01-18-2009, 01:04 AM   #1
Dr. Detroit
I've Got The Cure
Smoked another BBC

Default Ok Old Detroit Street Stompers Get a Load of This Bullshit!!!

http://www.automotivehalloffame.org/spotlight.php?id=11

Legendary Motor City Street Racers - Together at Last at the Automotive Hall of Fame

In the 1960s and early ‘70s, there were three Detroit area street racers that couldn’t be beat – a legendary Hemi-powered 1967 Plymouth GTX, known far and wide as the Silver Bullet, a modified ’49 Cadillac known as Bad Cad Zeus that was burning up Gratiot Avenue, and a 1961 Ford Galaxie Starliner called Orange Crush that roamed the north suburbs.

Legend has it that these three cars never lost a race. And they have never met head-to-head – until now. They are all on display at the Automotive Hall of Fame through March.

“For Detroit area cruisers, these cars are legendary,” said Jeffrey Leestma, Automotive Hall of Fame president. “And it’s hard to believe that these three amazing cars have never been displayed at the same time and place until now.”

The Silver Bullet was the most famous of all the Woodward cruisers, powered by a 650 horsepower Hemi engine provided by Mopar to test racing components. The car was originally owned and modified by Jimmie Addison, a Birmingham gas station mechanic with Mopar connections, who raced it to fame up and down Woodward. The Silver Bullet was so dominant that Car Craft magazine once called it “the absolute ruler of Woodward Avenue.”

The Bad Cad Zeus, an east side bruiser with a modified Chevy L88 engine is also believed to be unbeaten. Originally owned by Gary Ellinger, this 4,300 lb. behemoth with a Corvette “Big Block” could cover a quarter mile in less than 12 seconds at speeds reaching 120 mph.

The Orange Crush is powered by a monster 427 SOHC-powered, 622 horsepower Ford racing engine, a car so powerful that Hot Rod magazine called it “Battlestar Gallactica.” Incredibly, this car is still in the hands of its original owner, John Vermeersch.

Although street legal, these cars featured both factory and aftermarket racing components to dramatically boost performance. “These three automobiles represent a bygone era when the lines were blurred between street cars and race cars,” said Leestma. “They truly are works of art.”
The three cars will be displayed now through March at the Automotive Hall of Fame, located next to The Henry Ford on Oakwood Blvd., Dearborn. Admission is $8 for adults with discounts for seniors and youth. Open 9am to 5pm (closed Mondays and Tuesdays until Memorial Day weekend). For more information call 313-240-4000 or go to automotivehalloffame.org.
###

Don't you just love it when the upper class bench racer phucksticks go and make money on our behalf???
I wish I had a $1 every time my partner and I called Vermeersch out in that lead sled....hahahaha
With the exception of Addison that is mentioned the rest is propaganda bullshit!!!

Too bad us street guys can't sue them for misrepresentation!!!

Dr. Detroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2009, 02:32 AM   #2
superprojoe
Smoked Another SBC

Angry

Truely some bullshit and i understand where your commin' from! If i had a dollar for everytime some college teacher wanted to do a piece for a class and a paper about the underground culture(that he may use in a book to get rich off of)i would be rich.....PHUCK THAT CRAP!!! The movies have ruined how it really was/is and now more money blood suckers are tryin' to cash in on the term "Street Racer".
Old 01-18-2009, 02:33 AM   #3
strlegal
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Detroit View Post
http://www.automotivehalloffame.org/spotlight.php?id=11

The Orange Crush is powered by a monster 427 SOHC-powered, 622 horsepower Ford racing engine, a car so powerful that Hot Rod magazine called it “Battlestar Gallactica.” Incredibly, this car is still in the hands of its original owner, John Vermeersch.
Several years ago around 2000, I think it was either the World Ford Challenge or an NMRA race at Route 66 in Juliet, John had the car there, and I passed him driving it along 94 when going home.

Mike
strlegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:46 AM   #4
jeff c
pig hunter
Smoked Another SBC

can't lose if you never race anyone. 12s is a fucking joke! the old dude down the street from me growing up had a 11s dart small block car. the funny thing is the little dart with a 340 would beat the hell out of the hemi road runner he had.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:06 AM   #5
TomP
Smoked Another SBC

Default Silver... not Yellow Bullet

http://www.myrideisme.com/Blog/woodw...let-last-words

http://greenval.info/magstories/silverbullet/index.htm

There are TWO Silver Bullets... the links shows both the original car with a replacement engine... AND the guy who has the original engine built a replacement car that he calls "the Original Bullet".

I've seen John V's car several times over the years. Very cool car and he really gets his use out of it.
TomP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:05 AM   #6
Ricer 231
Smoked another BBC

Lot's of good "old" stuff on here lately. It's amazing how story's "grow" over the years
Ricer 231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:39 AM   #7
71Monte
PowdercoatBill
Smoked Another SBC

We coated the exhaust systems on both (Bullet) cars. P.F.E. built Manuels, and Rich Craft did the other.
71Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:20 AM   #8
xcelr8
Smoked Another SBC

I don't know beans about the street racing stuff but John V. is a pretty cool guy and has had some really neat cars. I first met him when I was 16 and my dad and I went up to his shop to trade parts and put together a Boss 351 for my 65 Mustang. I saw him last summer on I-94 one morning driving a really nice big Mercury. No doubt with a SOHC under the hood!
xcelr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:38 AM   #9
mustang sally
Pullin gears

Doesn't Top Fag John own that Caddy now?
mustang sally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:51 AM   #10
64 hemi
Smoked another BBC

i dunno if jimmt addison ever lost od not but steve lisk had a bad ass challeger at the time big inch hemi and a lenco on the street in 76 or 77
64 hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:54 PM   #11
Slacker
Smoked Another SBC

John Ellinger --gary ellinger's son--is a good friend of mine and he tells me stories about his dad and uncle with the caddy, I dont even thing he knows the car still exists---Im going to give him a call
Old 01-18-2009, 01:26 PM   #12
superprojoe
Smoked Another SBC

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64 hemi View Post
i dunno if jimmt addison ever lost od not but steve lisk had a bad ass challeger at the time big inch hemi and a lenco on the street in 76 or 77
Steve Lisk challenger was a bad ass street car heavy hitter!!!!
Old 01-18-2009, 01:47 PM   #13
Dr. Detroit
I've Got The Cure
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
John Ellinger --gary ellinger's son--is a good friend of mine and he tells me stories about his dad and uncle with the caddy, I dont even thing he knows the car still exists---Im going to give him a call
This right here is the kinda shit I am talking about...
The phucksticks that put on these displays or whatever have not talked, seen or even know the "Horse's" that created the real deal.
It's bullshit they know it, make money off it.

“Battlestar Gallactica.”??? Undefeated???
John Vermeersch is a nice guy not doubt but I never seen any of his cars run over 40 mph or stay out past 11pm on the weekends back in the day!!
There are "two " Silver Bullets???

Come on man...

Detroit Street Racers are Legendary!!

Dr. Detroit is offline   Reply With Quote