turbo r5-p7 nascar motor - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Turbo Charged - Blitzkrieg Motorsports

Turbo Charged - Blitzkrieg Motorsports

Old 01-13-2009, 08:40 PM   #1
71plymouth
Spooled up

Default turbo r5-p7 nascar motor

i have a 71 plymouth scamp that im turning into a drag radial car and i plan on using a R5/P7 nascar engine. will a powerglide bolt up to an R5 block and has anyone build a turbocharged R5/P7 motor?
also would i need to change anything to run boost in a stock nascar engine?

-thanks for the help!
71plymouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2009, 09:09 PM   #2
DIABLO05
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71plymouth View Post
i have a 71 plymouth scamp that im turning into a drag radial car and i plan on using a R5/P7 nascar engine. will a powerglide bolt up to an R5 block and has anyone build a turbocharged R5/P7 motor?
also would i need to change anything to run boost in a stock nascar engine?

-thanks for the help!
Need to change the pistons. Ring package and compression will be all wrong. I would imagine J.W. would have a conversion bellhousing for that engine/tranny set-up. Check for oil restrictors in the block, remove them if it does. Also i would suggest checking spring pressure, and putting inkynell exhaust valves in the heads. The valve seats should allready be baryllium. All things i did when i bought an old Ford Nascar engine.

Almost forgot. Make sure u get the thick tool steel wrist pins with the pistons
DIABLO05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:54 PM   #3
71plymouth
Spooled up

thanks for the help!!!!
71plymouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:14 PM   #4
jimmy larussa
Smoked another BBC

You can't bolt an powerglide to the R5 block,you can go to moparts dot.com and go to the unlawful race forum an post about the adapter on there an they will tell you who sell the adapter.Next the block new are 9 inches but most of the use ones are 8.8 and the heads have very small cambers ,you will be cubic inch limited ,about 390 in order to get a ring package,most of the valves in the heads a 6 or 7 mm stem .This is a very risky venture,reason I got rid of my everham engine,they are a poor choice in my book ,you would be better off with the new xr block that uses the La bottom end mopar and uses the p7 heads ,it is also on the moparts site.The chioce is your but believe me you will be walking down a lonely street and spending lots of money and still may not get the results you want in the end cause no one else has dared to go there.

jimmy larussa is offline   Reply With Quote