Aftermarket Cyl. Head comparison - Page 3 - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > LSX, Mod Motor and Gen III Hemi Tech

Old 01-09-2009, 07:54 AM   #31
performance induction
Pre-Staged

We make our heads from primary A-356 with a t-61 (extended age) heat treat.
performance induction is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2009, 09:20 AM   #32
Pro Stock John
Smoked Another SBC

That would be great if the ETP cylinder head line is more consistently available going forward. The AFR heads, and then the TFS heads became very popular mainly due to (1) availability, (2) decent quality and portwork, and (3) eventually price - TFS heads have been priced well.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:32 AM   #33
ReiKo
YB Monster Crew
Smoked Another SBC

So for the four bolt crowd... Who makes the thickest deck? ETP or AFR?
ReiKo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:35 AM   #34
Pro Stock John
Smoked Another SBC

I think AllPros were right up around there too Reiko. TFS heads might be too. Seems to me that .800 was pretty common except maybe for the Dart offerings.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:06 AM   #35
ReiKo
YB Monster Crew
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John View Post
I think AllPros were right up around there too Reiko. TFS heads might be too. Seems to me that .800 was pretty common except maybe for the Dart offerings.
My cousins friend is doing a LSx turbo in his truck... He wants to put a aftermarket head on it for when he throws boost at it so the head doesn't wonder around... He asked me the best head with the thickest deck a few weeks ago and I told him I would check around...

Just don't want to steer him wrong...
ReiKo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:25 AM   #36
CRU SS N
Pre-Staged

That is a good question, who's head has the thickest deck
CRU SS N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:38 AM   #37
Ed Curtis
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReiKo View Post
My cousins friend is doing a LSx turbo in his truck... He wants to put a aftermarket head on it for when he throws boost at it so the head doesn't wonder around... He asked me the best head with the thickest deck a few weeks ago and I told him I would check around...

Just don't want to steer him wrong...
The strongest decks will have the best alloy, best heat treat and then the most material. So far, ETP (now LX Racing Products) was the only cylinder head with these three criteria.

Ed Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:28 PM   #38
CRU SS N
Pre-Staged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Curtis View Post
The strongest decks will have the best alloy, best heat treat and then the most material. So far, ETP (now LX Racing Products) was the only cylinder head with these three criteria.

How do their heads differ from say AFR heads?
CRU SS N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:09 PM   #39
Billyman
out of work hair dresser
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRU SS N View Post
How do their heads differ from say AFR heads?
It would be easier to name the similarities.

1) They both will bolt onto an LS engine.

2) sorry, no "2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Mikho View Post
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance.. baffle them with bullshit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plato
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something."
Billyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:30 PM   #40
performance induction
Pre-Staged

Valve angles are changed from the factory 15 degree to 11 degrees, 12 degree on LS7 style heads. Valve location is different as well. The spark plug has been relocated, the valve length has been increased to allow for larger ports and larger valve springs, the rocker mounting system is unique and reinforced, the valve cover rails are raised to allow use of the stock valve covers in most applications, as well we offer race cylinder heads, not just street performance which seperates us from the other companies except for AllPro which has similar offerings in the LS7 market. That is most of the differences. As well we offer the 6 bolt configuration on all models of our cylinder heads. Yes, our heads are a little more expensive, but they are a superior casting and alloy and that will carry a superior price. We also use superior hardware too (valve seats, valve guides and severe duty valves, not the most inexpensive alternative) They are not for everyones budget, but you will get what you pay for. We have quite a variety and offerings.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:36 PM   #41
Billyman
out of work hair dresser
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by performance induction View Post
Valve angles are changed from the factory 15 degree to 11 degrees, 12 degree on LS7 style heads. Valve location is different as well. The spark plug has been relocated, the valve length has been increased to allow for larger ports and larger valve springs, the rocker mounting system is unique and reinforced, the valve cover rails are raised to allow use of the stock valve covers in most applications, as well we offer race cylinder heads, not just street performance which seperates us from the other companies except for AllPro which has similar offerings in the LS7 market. That is most of the differences.
A little modest aren't we?

You forgot the mention the kick ass CNC program and high velocity port designs just name a few other differences.

Quote:
Quote:
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something."
Old 01-09-2009, 10:42 PM   #42
performance induction
Pre-Staged

Oh, I forgot, we have intake manifolds to fit all of our race heads too. So the days of having to buy sheetmetal/custom manifolds just to find a fit are over, well unless you have an engine sitting under that dashboard.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:31 PM   #43
Ron@Vengeance
Spooled up

Cary, could you give me a call at the shop Monday. I would like to talk to you about an intake for a combo we are putting together.

678 513 7105.

Thanx man
Ron@Vengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:46 PM   #44
Billyman
out of work hair dresser
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron@Vengeance View Post
Cary, could you give me a call at the shop Monday. I would like to talk to you about an intake for a combo we are putting together.

678 513 7105.

Thanx man
Ron, I can sell you one of Cary's intakes. In fact, I'll sell you the whole damn car!

Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-10-2009, 09:51 AM   #45
Ed Curtis
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by performance induction View Post
Valve angles are changed from the factory 15 degree to 11 degrees, 12 degree on LS7 style heads. Valve location is different as well. The spark plug has been relocated, the valve length has been increased to allow for larger ports and larger valve springs, the rocker mounting system is unique and reinforced, the valve cover rails are raised to allow use of the stock valve covers in most applications, as well we offer race cylinder heads, not just street performance which separates us from the other companies except for AllPro which has similar offerings in the LS7 market. That is most of the differences. As well we offer the 6 bolt configuration on all models of our cylinder heads. Yes, our heads are a little more expensive, but they are a superior casting and alloy and that will carry a superior price. We also use superior hardware too (valve seats, valve guides and severe duty valves, not the most inexpensive alternative) They are not for everyones budget, but you will get what you pay for. We have quite a variety and offerings.
Cary,

You neglected to mention these heads can be custom tailored to fit any application. Like those 245's for Christian's new HKE engine... which were *shweet* by the way...

Now get back to work on the small bore LS3 heads!

Ed Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote