Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Best 9mm semi auto pistol for under $600?

13K views 32 replies 32 participants last post by  6pakdakota 
#1 ·
Just want it for home defense and occasional target shootin'. Already have a S&W .38 revolver. Looking for the best overall quality and reliability for the money. Seems like Glock, Taurus, and Springfield brands are prevalent in that price range. Any brands to stay away from?

#3 ·
If you don't mind spending a few bucks more, Beretta 92F is a nice reliable pistol.

#5 ·
Go check out a C Z Bd 75. I have one and I love it. They are hard to find though. They average less than 10 misfires in 15,000 rounds. It goes off when you need it. I'm not saying that is the best, but I would buy another in a heartbeat. I got mine from Gander Mtn. And I had to ask them, because they didn't have them out where you could see them.

#6 ·
Don't buy a weapon that has ANY misfires. Glock's are especially good handguns for the price. Sigs and H&k's are as well. Beretta makes a good gun, but just not my preference. For home defense you'll want a handgun with an accessory rail on it for a light. Go to a firearms store and talk with the guys there, they are very helpful. And as far as caliber I would stick with a .45, I think they are best for CQB because, they have the best knockdown power and won't travel as much. What I mean by this is they won't go thru the target then thru a wall and into someone else that may be home.

#8 ·
X2 DO NOT buy a weapon that has any misfires!

I'm another advocate for the .45acp for the reason that BigE82 stated along with the fact that you do not need high pressure +P ammunition to get ample penetration, and full expansion of the round which in turns helps out in the weapon's life.

......but if your heart is set on the 9mm for whatever reason, get the Springfield XDM 9mm. 19+1 capacity is pretty good.

I really like both of my FN Herstal FNP-45's with 15+1 capacity. SA/DA with external hammer. I'm confident that it will work when it is needed too.

I also agree with saving up more coin and purchasing a nice SA/DA pistol with an external hammer like the berreta. For whatever reason the weapon does not fire, i.e. poor primer in casing, you can simply squeeze the trigger again without having to first rack the weapon. It's a very good feature to have.

#12 ·
...want it for home defense and occasional target shootin
My Choice for these parameters (No Carry)..Move up to 45 acp learn to shoot one.
Nice used Colt 1911 45acp, XD45 Tactical 45acp, Sig 226

Other wise...
XD 45 Compact, Service 45 acp
Colt Commander 45 acp
XD9 Tactiical or XDM 9
Glock 17
Sig 229, 228

For Carry Also
Smaller
Used Colt Commander 45 acp
Glock 19
XDM9, XD9 Service

Sub
Kel Tec PF9, P11
Kahr PM9, P9

Stay away from anything Taurus...

Any and all will serve you well...;)

#16 ·
X3 for the M&P, just picked one up and love it... can't go wrong. The biggest problem with the Glock is the molded finger grips, if you have large hands or fat fingers its uncomfortable as all hell to hold. The XD was the next best choice, but after holding and firing the M&P along with the features it was a no brainer.

#31 ·
I have 2 that fit in this category. I have a G19 that I got new a few months ago, I have only put about 100 rounds though it. I also have a Taurus 99 that I got used. The 99 is identical to a Beretta 92 with adjustable sites. I've had the Taurus for many years. Both are very reliable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.