Yellow Bullet Forums banner

th400 pump restrictor??

13K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  MiNdErAsEr 
#1 ·
I took my car out for the second time last night and it blew the 6an hose out of the hose end on the transmission. I was told by a few people I need to put a restrictor in the front pump to keep the line pressure down while spooling the turbo. Where can I get one of these, and is it a difficult install, or something I could do by myself in the garage? Thanks in advance for any help.

Robert

#25 ·
To that point.....

I had a thrust bearing issue cause by excessive pressure.
Hutch sold me a restrictor kit.
I've never had a trans apart before...
2.5 hours the trans was out, pump out, restrictor installed, trans back in.

The instructions in Hutch's kit are simple and effective!

No more thrust bear issues to date (7 runs).

Good luck...

AND thanks Hutch.

#3 ·
u need to pull the front pump off take apart and tap the converter feed hole and insert a grub screw that has a .100 (thats what I got told ppl have diff sizes)drilled in.
so unless u have trans expieriance better take it to someone or buy a book do some net searches and learn how to do it thats how I learnt after being ripped by 2 diff trans places not many good ones here in oz

#4 ·
I had a similar problem but instead on blowing a cooler line the fluid pressure pushed my input shaft into the trans a runined the pressure plate the second time and ruined the case the first time before my trans guy figured out what was going on. My trans guy did exactly what Benno81 said except he made the orfice .150". I was lucky it did not knock out my thrust. Since the restrictor has been in I have made 10 good passes and about 100 street miles with no problems.

#11 ·
If the input shaft has no provisions for flow around the bushing area you have some things to do. If it's a converter that has a bushing for the turbine hub which most do, you need to ensure there is a flow path where the bushing in the stator tube is at. TCI for one machines 4 slots in the bushing surface of their aftermarket shaft. You could also use a bushing with grooving, or remove it all together again presuming the converter has one in it.

#19 ·
The input shaft hole size is .187, so should I put a .200 restrictor in it? I pulled it apart tonight and found this link to be very helpful. Does the restrictor go in the front half of the pump? http://www.wikingnetwork.com/temp/th-400.pdf I have casting # 8626174 body and 8626895 cover.

#20 ·
Just took the pump apart and it already has a .156 restrictor in it. Maybe the fluid just got too hot and made the line come apart? I was using the nylon braid pro flo hose for cooler lines.

#24 ·
x10 on the black nylon hose!!! dont try it!! you will burn your car to the ground!!! been there and almost done it!!!! steel braid is the only thing to use besides hard line.....the black braided hose is not for high temp!!!!:cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.