Yellow Bullet Forums banner

The diesel engine as a viable performance option

58K views 543 replies 78 participants last post by  Powerstroked162 
#1 · (Edited)
First I’m primarily a gas racer; I cut my racing teeth as a Competition Eliminatorcrew member, and racer. I get a woodie when I put my foot on the throttle of a 11,000 rpm small block.

I was stranded without a affordable and competitive engine program at the end 2001 season, after a fairly successfully 5 years of campaigning a D/ed with a Splayed valve V6. I stumbled in to the diesel performance world, and found it to be a new found passion.

The diesel engine development curve is where the gas world was 30 years ago. I speculated it would rapidly catch up, and it’s coming along, there are a lot of inovatators in the diesel couminity .
When I first started with diesels, mentioning cylinder head and cam development was laughed at. They stated that boost would overcome it all. 6 years later the shop that I begged to do my head, and build a sheet metal manifold has a 3 month waiting list to get a head and manifold.

So is the diesel engine as a viable power plant for a muscle car, bracket car, or even race car .
I don’t mean the typical smoke belching engine, but well refined engine programs. The diesel engine has made huge gains in this arena with the advent of electronic common rail high pressure with 20,000 to 30,000 psi fuel systems.
With the CR systems you can tune around destructive peak cylinder pressure as the engine goes thru peak torque. The solution to this before, on mechanical fuel systems was to reduce compression ratio, killing low eng cylinder pressure, and this worked on all out engines, but killed bottom throttle response. These lack of bottom end , also effected the AR selection on turbo’s

The advent of cylinder heads that in effect doubled air flow (Cummins stock 144 CFM ) ( Duramax stock 140 CFM ) to both heads flowing close to 250 CFM on streetable heads and 300+ CFM on all out race heads.

Cam design, which I made one of my pet projects, was way behind. The major player would grind BBF RV grinds on the Cummins 54.5 mm core, the events were to big , and with way to much overlap
Problems was the turbo diesel engine cores were on at best 102 to 106 LSA and the overlap was one of the greatest no no’s on a diesel . The diesel engine has little scavenge with 1.2 to 1.5 boost to turbine inlet pressure ratio’s . The tipical street cams would open the intake 10 ATDC and close at 2 or 3 ABDC . I use a cams that is 230 230 on a 116 in at 116 . and do it on 60 mm cores

So to the latest in Chevy Duramax engine for a street engine
First forget the huge injectors, twin pumps and compound turbo’s. A stock short block Duramax with a good cylinder head, and cams program will breath well, and make 600 hp and 1000 ft lbs of torque, and rev to 5000+ rpms and last forever. The great part about doing the heads and cam, on a entry level engine is, that now this good breathing engine will make a good power curve at low boost levels. The great part is no need for an intercooler at this boost level. Just use Water injection on the street.

This engine in a muscle car will run good, smoke free, and get 40+ MPG on # 2 diesel fuel. Go ahead and put a good set of rods in the motor and the hp level is close to 1100 hp with nitrous , which doubles as an intercooler.

Here are some pictures of the NX Mustang and My Dragster and their engine programs based around the Dmax diesel engine.

Oh and I love this forum, the knowledge level is humbling.

See less See more
#145 ·
Id love to join y'all at the Texas Mile...I really would. But...I'm going to St Croix for a month this weekend and that sounds much more fun. lol

The day Greg starts telling the truth and stops being a pompous self righteous prick is the day I never say another word about him.
Till then....game on.

#164 ·
St Croix does sound like fun. The Mile is a blast. It should be on every car guys bucket list.

Anyway you know where to find us.:finga:

#150 ·
Czerak, you are a first class phuckstick and everyone knows it.

You have nothing to contribute either here or at CompD. Nothing. You do not compete in anything, and yet you come here to throw rocks at someone else....like you actually have some kind of pulpit to preach from.

You have some kind of fixation on Greg that borders on the bizarre. You then try to make it look like you're some kinda hero saving the whole world from the "Threat of Greg," but all you're doing is exposing yourself as the whiningass pussy you are. You show up after the real players wage their war, to throw in your two bits so you can be in the internet badass club too!!! Wow, you're AWEsome!!!

Don't like Greg? Who the fuck cares? Just do us all a favor and shut the fuck up. You're not even worthy of a sideshow act.

#151 ·
Czerak, you are a first class phuckstick and everyone knows it.

You have nothing to contribute either here or at CompD. Nothing. You do not compete in anything, and yet you come here to throw rocks at someone else....like you actually have some kind of pulpit to preach from.

You have some kind of fixation on Greg that borders on the bizarre. You then try to make it look like you're some kinda hero saving the whole world from the "Threat of Greg," but all you're doing is exposing yourself as the whiningass pussy you are. You show up after the real players wage their war, to throw in your two bits so you can be in the internet badass club too!!! Wow, you're AWEsome!!!

Don't like Greg? Who the fuck cares? Just do us all a favor and shut the fuck up. You're not even worthy of a sideshow act.
Yep. I know I don't give a fuck. And I can't imagine who does/would.

#153 ·
Jason, if you took the time to read this thread from the begining, you would have realized that not at one point was Greg beating his chest. He was just pointing out how the diesel engine is a viable alternative to a gas engine, nothing more, nothing less.... but after a bunch of goobers come in here looking like idiots trying to save the day just to ridicule Greg all you really managed is to make us Diesel lovers look like a bunch of complete MORONS. I personally would not like to be put into that group............. so take your little vendetta and go elsewhere... I am quite sure that Greg has never done anything to you personally or probably to anyone you even know personally. You of all people should understand what happens on a forum, there is lots of posturing,, it isnt cool to try to be the bad ass when you are really not.

There is alot of people that came on to this thread (myself included) that should have never been here in the first place. I came here to hopefully save a slight amount of face for the diesel community, but after you dipshits finished all you shit,,, I dont know if it can be saved. Its no wonder that alot of tracks hate seeing diesel truck race on their track, they just associate diesel trucks with young kids that act like IDIOTS.

#155 ·
I have a lot of respect for diesels, I used to post with a guy McRat who was into diesels a long time ago, but all of you sound like fucking ricers who just watched the fast & furious for diesels for the first time. Here is a link to the newb thread since you can't pull your heads far enough out of your asses to figure out where the thread is kept. :-gay:-gay

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/l...0197-a5efcf9a453d1110965f6eba65c270f0167ba7bd

#160 ·
What great information Greg, I was unaware that a diesel was anything other than a tow truck engine. Tell me, would it fit in an old Corvette? I have an old 1969 roadster, without an engine. It’s been in the back of my shop for 20 years and begs my attention. You might remember me from the finals, about 10 years ago?
You were pitted next to us, and I hated that obnoxious sounding V6 of yours. I talked to you in the staging lanes waiting to race Jimmy DeFranks C/EA. You loaned us your 12 inch air gauge. I never will forget that big old gauge.
I did see your old car at Sears Point this year, Scott McClay is still racing! Makes me know old farts like myself can still do it.
I like what you’ve been up to. See you in Pomona if your there.

#419 ·
Here's one of the biggest reasons I have for doubting you are a real person and not Greg. You say you met Greg ten years ago. This is once, ten freaking years ago and you think this dude is really going to remember you much less you remembering him!? Seriously, you couldn't come up with a better story than this!? With as big of a hard on you have for Greg you would think you two were high scholl buddies. One fucking meeting and you step out of the shadows and suddenly defend this guy like he is the Pope. I mean, come on, how the fuck do you know weather or not these guys are telling the truth? Because a guy loaned you a fucking air gauge ten years ago, big fucking deal. I helped my neighbor move a couch 4 years ago when he moved out, couldn't tell you his name or weather or not he was a douche bag, and I live next to the guy! He was always nice and polite too me but could have been a serial killer for all I know. So how do you know what Greg is saying to be fact? Because you read it? Because in your eyes Greg seems to be someone of authority and when someone of "authority" says something it automatically becomes fact. A military man would know better, which brings me to my next problem with believing "John Preston" is a real fucking person.

This is what really ticks me off. You are pretending to Military, which I highly doubt after reading your post. My Grandfather, Stepfather, and all my Uncles were military men and I can assure you they are not nearly as illiterate as you.
Shame on you for pretending to be a man of service you fucking fraud. If this is Greg and you are pretending to be in the service, you are in fact a piece of shit and I hope everybody finds out. If not, then John Preston prove you are who you say you are. Prove it here and shut everybody up. I live in Vegas, just where you are headed, prove it too me and I'll apologize to you and Greg. Until then you are a FRAUD!

#174 ·
I think greg also photochopped his name on those cars...

I really enjoyed this thread until all the BS started, when i read the posts i didnt see where he was trying to claim that he set the world on fire by himself. Maybe you guys are reading into things a little too much here

#175 ·
I am even more interested in building a Diesel car now.. also this thread allowed me to get back in touch with Greg.. We go way back to 1986 or so when we both used to hang out at the local speed shop "Jack Greg's" in Wichita Falls Texas :supz:..
There is obviously some history between these guys on this thread.. but this is not the Trashed section and should not be used as it..

MPK

#177 ·
my diesel drag truck (5500lbs)

10.5 @ 131....... and then they kicked me off the track because the roll bar isnt good enough---- shes MOVING!!!! 1/8 is cooking to!!!

fastest mph

have to adjust wastegate more total boost 80 .... 33 from bottom

my other truck (11.1 @ 124 nitrous- 11.3 @121 diesel only) and it also works- daily driver 829 hp diesel- 958 nitrous

#178 ·
Diesel motorsports has made some amazing strides in the last few years. How about a 6.908 with a best overall MPH of 203.71!

Good interview with the owner here: http://www.dieselpowermag.com/features/0803dp_dan_scheid_interview/index.html

Banks has been busy with their program. S-10 Duramax that's run 7.77 @ 180. The have a rail as well although it has had some teething issues they continue to work out.

#179 ·
Diesel motorsports has made some amazing strides in the last few years. How about a 6.908 with a best overall MPH of 203.71!

Good interview with the owner here: http://www.dieselpowermag.com/features/0803dp_dan_scheid_interview/index.html

Banks has been busy with their program. S-10 Duramax that's run 7.77 @ 180. The have a rail as well although it has had some teething issues they continue to work out.

good stuff louie. stuff that is actually running and making a name for the diesel as a viable option.

#180 ·
Nice looking cars, I’ve seen that Red truck run at Vegas a few years ago. That was a neat piece. I have never seen the dragster.
If that car can run consistent 6.80’s that’s fairly fast. Sure looks like it smokes a lot. Doesn’t look like a motor that would go good in a street or race car.
I would love to see that rail of Greg’s run against that black dragster. That would be a good race to see .
I think I saw where Greg said that his car weighed 1800 lbs. With 1400 hp , that looks to me like a 6.60 fairly easy.

So where did Greg Go? Did the bozos discourage him from promoting the diesel engine?
What a bunch of nimrods.

#182 ·
John....I can see that you are friends with Greg. Great to catch up with old drag racing friends.

Greg is headed in a different direction with the rail he is building than the Scheid team. If we all did the same thing, this would be a boring sport.

You asked where Greg is. Apparently only he knows. The performance diesel community is a fairly small group. You visited the site and dug around some....there is way more than you found and a lot of it, well, not so good. Not everyone sees things through the same glasses as Greg....myself included. He has on more than one occasion stirred the hornets nest only to walk away. Has he helped some? Yessir. Has he pissed off some? Yessir.

The guy you have in question is a deep seated performance guy. I rode in his truck last weekend and I giggled like a school girl. Which says a lot considering some of the vehicles I've had the pleasure of riding in. He does travel all over to ADRL events, diesel specific events and a few NHRA events as I recall. You might want to explore a little more before you pass judgment.

You seem like a well traveled and experienced man....someone that would recognize that there are always two sides to every story....Greg's included.

By the way, my father has the same name as you and was a drag racer. He was featured as the NHRA photo of the week in 2007.

#183 ·
I totally understand what you are saying. My involvement in this thread was more about watching a mob attacking, that quite frankly making your fellow diesel enthusiast look like a bunch of back wood’s inbred Jed’s.

This jack wad UNBROKEN, was espousing many untrue statements about a fellow comp racer.
Greg might as you say grate on some peoples, nerves, but that in no way imparts the fact that Greg is a bonified racer. I have looked extensively at your Diesel specific site over the last few days. I can say that it looks like a lot of people support Greg, and it looks as well, that a lot of the diesel orientated business support him as well.
I goggled Greg’s name, and the results were a plethora of articles in several magazines, some not even diesel specific. I watched several videos on Hot Rod T V and speed channel as well. I found 8 pod cast of Greg doing a great job of championing the diesel performance movement on a national radio show MotorTrend Radio.
So you might want to rethink you participation in this mob action. It is fairly clear to we the people of the world outside, that the guy you are chasing is one of the most recognizable personalities of your sport.

You might want to remember this phrase , the toes you step on today , might be connected to the butt you may be kissing tomorrow. Greg is doing a really good job.

I found a video of the dragster you posted, its impressive the few times it gets down the track. In a real drag race , I would not put my money on it if it lines up against someone of Greg’s caliber .

#185 ·
I totally understand what you are saying. My involvement in this thread was more about watching a mob attacking, that quite frankly making your fellow diesel enthusiast look like a bunch of back wood’s inbred Jed’s.

This jack wad UNBROKEN, was espousing many untrue statements about a fellow comp racer.
Greg might as you say grate on some peoples, nerves, but that in no way imparts the fact that Greg is a bonified racer. I have looked extensively at your Diesel specific site over the last few days. I can say that it looks like a lot of people support Greg, and it looks as well, that a lot of the diesel orientated business support him as well.
I goggled Greg’s name, and the results were a plethora of articles in several magazines, some not even diesel specific. I watched several videos on Hot Rod T V and speed channel as well. I found 8 pod cast of Greg doing a great job of championing the diesel performance movement on a national radio show MotorTrend Radio.
So you might want to rethink you participation in this mob action. It is fairly clear to we the people of the world outside, that the guy you are chasing is one of the most recognizable personalities of your sport.

You might want to remember this phrase , the toes you step on today , might be connected to the butt you may be kissing tomorrow. Greg is doing a really good job.

I found a video of the dragster you posted, its impressive the few times it gets down the track. In a real drag race , I would not put my money on it if it lines up against someone of Greg’s caliber .
john-

we eat and breath diesel performance, and we are qualified to make a statement in regards to greg's "standing" in the sport. you, being of limited knowledge, are not qualified to make such statements just because you googled his name. i believe greg has many good attributes, specifically to diesel motorsports, but it appears greg has a loose relationship with integrity and honesty. i believe that the biggest issue most of us see, is "he" is not the ambassador we would choose for this sport. just ask greg how many diesel events he's been to in the last 3 years to support the community that is feeding him? he doesnt show up to any, not even in his own state!

as for your comment in regards to unbroken, again, using limited knowledge base to make an unfounded statement. maybe you should spend more time reading and less time lip locking and you wouldnt look like such a tard. thanks for playing.

i really feel bad that this thread turned out like this, but maybe greg will think twice before self-proclaiming himself as liason to the gasser/drag racing world.

#188 ·
Mike, I have gotten to know you a little bit between PSN and compd and to be honest you have usually read everything you have spoken about. In this case you obviously havent. I have read through this post several times and not once does Greg proclaim anything. What I read is Greg explaining how a diesel engine is a good alternative and showing some of the cool things we are doing these days with our diesel engines.

What we have really accomplished here is make diesel motorsports take a giant step backwards. As I have said before, some of you are acting like children and it is honestly embarssing.

Jason, give it up, you have no horse in this show. Nobody is taking you serious anyways. You dont know Greg, never will know Greg.

Greg may have his own issues and maybe blows his own horn a little at times, but really dont we all to degrees?? As far as I can tell Greg has not screwed anyone, given anyone a bad deal. He is always there to help when people needs help. He is fair in his pricing of the parts that he does sell.

I am posting this only in the effort to save a small amount of face for the diesel world. I find it already tough to find tracks that want to have my truck on them, let alone when we come across like a bunch of hayweed backwood ********.

Maybe I am just getting old, but I just cant believe the immature shit going on in this thread.... I would be pissed if my 18 year old son talked like this about anyone, let alone 20 and 30 somethings and probably even some 40 somethings acting like little schoolgirls

#189 ·
I agree! It really is a shame. It seems most that do the fighting are not even guys who race in are events. The beer drinking and the partying has to go!!! Most want to make it out to be a big party. I go to a race, TO RACE! Drinking is fine, but it shouldn't be the reason you go. I think i'm going to check into the NHRA S/S class that Greg is talking about. I really don't like NHRA but I think it would be better than the diesel only events as they are now. I made many friends at these events and will still go to some but they need to take a look at the direction they are going. I got to the Schied event late and had to go into the campgrounds at night and was making sure my gun was handy because of the drunk ******** jumping on the motorhome and trailer. That was a total ZOO! Thanks god the track owner remembered use from last year and let us in the track after hours. I souldn't have to worry about my kids going to a event for there safety. Jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.