Yellow Bullet Forums banner

The diesel engine as a viable performance option

58K views 543 replies 78 participants last post by  Powerstroked162 
#1 · (Edited)
First I’m primarily a gas racer; I cut my racing teeth as a Competition Eliminatorcrew member, and racer. I get a woodie when I put my foot on the throttle of a 11,000 rpm small block.

I was stranded without a affordable and competitive engine program at the end 2001 season, after a fairly successfully 5 years of campaigning a D/ed with a Splayed valve V6. I stumbled in to the diesel performance world, and found it to be a new found passion.

The diesel engine development curve is where the gas world was 30 years ago. I speculated it would rapidly catch up, and it’s coming along, there are a lot of inovatators in the diesel couminity .
When I first started with diesels, mentioning cylinder head and cam development was laughed at. They stated that boost would overcome it all. 6 years later the shop that I begged to do my head, and build a sheet metal manifold has a 3 month waiting list to get a head and manifold.

So is the diesel engine as a viable power plant for a muscle car, bracket car, or even race car .
I don’t mean the typical smoke belching engine, but well refined engine programs. The diesel engine has made huge gains in this arena with the advent of electronic common rail high pressure with 20,000 to 30,000 psi fuel systems.
With the CR systems you can tune around destructive peak cylinder pressure as the engine goes thru peak torque. The solution to this before, on mechanical fuel systems was to reduce compression ratio, killing low eng cylinder pressure, and this worked on all out engines, but killed bottom throttle response. These lack of bottom end , also effected the AR selection on turbo’s

The advent of cylinder heads that in effect doubled air flow (Cummins stock 144 CFM ) ( Duramax stock 140 CFM ) to both heads flowing close to 250 CFM on streetable heads and 300+ CFM on all out race heads.

Cam design, which I made one of my pet projects, was way behind. The major player would grind BBF RV grinds on the Cummins 54.5 mm core, the events were to big , and with way to much overlap
Problems was the turbo diesel engine cores were on at best 102 to 106 LSA and the overlap was one of the greatest no no’s on a diesel . The diesel engine has little scavenge with 1.2 to 1.5 boost to turbine inlet pressure ratio’s . The tipical street cams would open the intake 10 ATDC and close at 2 or 3 ABDC . I use a cams that is 230 230 on a 116 in at 116 . and do it on 60 mm cores

So to the latest in Chevy Duramax engine for a street engine
First forget the huge injectors, twin pumps and compound turbo’s. A stock short block Duramax with a good cylinder head, and cams program will breath well, and make 600 hp and 1000 ft lbs of torque, and rev to 5000+ rpms and last forever. The great part about doing the heads and cam, on a entry level engine is, that now this good breathing engine will make a good power curve at low boost levels. The great part is no need for an intercooler at this boost level. Just use Water injection on the street.

This engine in a muscle car will run good, smoke free, and get 40+ MPG on # 2 diesel fuel. Go ahead and put a good set of rods in the motor and the hp level is close to 1100 hp with nitrous , which doubles as an intercooler.

Here are some pictures of the NX Mustang and My Dragster and their engine programs based around the Dmax diesel engine.

Oh and I love this forum, the knowledge level is humbling.

See less See more
#456 ·
So how was Sema JP? I heard it was a kick ass how as usual this year. Did you meet up with anyone?

I met the people I need to see , and I'm at the Track for the time beaning , There is a lot of Good racing going on. Bench racing that is

#462 ·
Not my truck, nor did I take the video, but for any gassers guys that may STILL be reading, here's one of those "traditional diesels" that Greg has warned you to avoid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c3Ua3WNonQ

This was taken at a taping for PassTime, videos doesn't get really going till about 30 seconds in, and cuts of before the time shows but it was an 8.91@149

#464 ·
I think either is a great platform, I prefer the Cummins however I'm biased because that's all I have ever dealt with and this is the 4th truck I've built including a Pro Street truck that I sold.

I've only personally known two people with Duramaxes (both owners of Diesel performance Companies in the North East) one owned a Ford and one owned a Dodge, they both got on the Duramax bandwagon when it first came out, and both have since gone back to Dodge's.

Either can be built beyond what most people would ever imagine a diesel could do, but my loyalty lies with Cummins.

#465 ·
John Preston,
If you are real and still in Vegas, please stop by our booth at SEMA, #23416. As you have probably seen, I have not taken "sides" in this mess (and have tried redirecting this thread towards more constructive topics), so I could be a "neutral" observer to report if you exist.

Regards,
Michael Pliska, 643 S/G

#466 ·
so what is so bad about a truck smoking greg? theyre some trucks still making 1000hp+ on fuel only and obviously the schied rail is doing something right. Their "quest for the 6s" has been alittle easier than yours..

#468 ·
I have sat here since the inception of this thread quietly, I have started a reply far too many numerous times, only to delete my response in disgust.

It's amazing having been in the diesel scene since the early days-98/99- back when 450hp put you at the top of the pack and the lowly Holset HX40 was considered a "hybrid turbo" option for our rigs. I remember when Greg- as he put it- "stumbled into the diesel arena".....

Greg, how many times since the early TDR (Turbo Diesel Register) days- have you been advised to STFU ? How many times have you put down and bashed the real pioneers of our beloved corner of Motor Sports ? How many threads have you started where you never paid any respect nor given any respect to those whom have really expelled the effort onto those projects which you have repeatedly bragged yourself up for ? How many times have you been called out for the egotistical jackass that you really are ?

Far too many times to even acknowledge......:smt083 :smt083 :smt083

Greg, for the last time please stop the BULLSHIT.

How can you comprehend- into the numerous identities that float around in your bloated head, that your promotion style that you expound in the form of your egotistical chest thumping threads, promoting yourself and casting away any credits towards those whom have been a big helping factor on getting those projects that you were involved in, onto the map?

You should have been erroneously humbled, when Gale Banks threw you off your dream gig. :yawinkle: Yet- you persue to be held in repetitive regards next to the real pioneers and innovators of the diesel arena..... Shame on you.

Lead by example Greg. Better yet- take a page from some of the real pioneers; let your performance speak- not your fingertips.

When was the last time you have seen Mr. Dan Scheid thump his chest? Never. And The Scheid Diesel Team is the fastest diesel in the world...... Yet you will never hear Dan tout this fact.

When have you seen any of the numerous pioneers start a thread on any forum, to promote diesel motor sports and put themselves into the spotlight to selflessly promote ? Never.

If it is true that this John Preston is yet another figment of your imagination, then you have reached a new all time low.

If in fact Mr.Preston is a truely real individual then I will humbly appologize for casting doubt- although, knowing your past history- it wouldn't suprise me in the least if Mr.Preston does not offer his introduction to any of the folks whom offered to meet with him. Heck- 5 minutes with any of these individuals that offered to meet him, would clear your name on something that IMHO would make vendors and potential future sponsors that might be interested on getting involved in Diesel Motor Sports promotions!? If in fact Mr.Preston is real- why wouldn't you take 5 minutes to help your so-called friend out-when people are accusing your friend of something that is inexcuseable.......:smt102:smt102 5 minutes can erase this shitpile, 5 minutes NOT spent wisely for a friend would only provide the fuel to make this shit infestation worse, not only for you Greg- but for any future sponsorships involving you Greg.

For the record- I believe Scott Bentz was truely- the first diesel in the 8's and first diesel in the 7's.

And Mr.Scheid is currently "The Qwickest Diesel On The Planet"
... his "Quest For The 6's" has been met many times now.:smt079

respectfully to those in the Diesel Community,
Jeff Olson

#475 ·
right on jeff, way to tell it like it is buddy. :drinkers:

#471 · (Edited)
For the record- I refreshed this page and seen cOMP 461 viewing the reply.

One can only hope he is considering to offer his retractions to this mess, or furiously contacting his "friend" to pressure him into taking 5 minutes to uncloud these truely shitted up waters that became of this........

Perhaps another alter ego is being created in the guise to attack me- I'm ready for this as well......

#472 ·
#473 · (Edited)
He won't reply Jeff. He just wants to see what got stirred up and what's being said about him today. By tonight he'll repost the first page of this thead as John Preston just to stir the pot again.
You know how he works.
Right now he's digging through dates to "prove" he ran the first 8 and 7. He'll "call" John with that info and it'll be posted by John later.

#479 ·
I have a severe distain for someone pretending to be in the military!! I find it to be a disgrace to MY uniform.

This JP persona does not conduct himself in a maneer befitting an Air Force Lieutenant Colonel. Yet he states he must hide his true identity for security reasons. Anyone with half a brain who felt this need would simply avoid being associated in the military at all. Certainly not tout their career then hide behind those lies.

IS Greg pretending to be John? I DON'T GIVE A FUCK!!! But do NOT put yourself on the same level of self-sacrific as me and my bretheren!! I have a hard time when Coast Guard guys make a big deal about being in the "military." And I WILL NOT tolerate this disrecpect to those who fight and die to protect the rights for all of us to live and play the way we choose.

#518 ·
I have a severe distain for someone pretending to be in the military!! I find it to be a disgrace to MY uniform.

This JP persona does not conduct himself in a maneer befitting an Air Force Lieutenant Colonel. Yet he states he must hide his true identity for security reasons. Anyone with half a brain who felt this need would simply avoid being associated in the military at all. Certainly not tout their career then hide behind those lies.

IS Greg pretending to be John? I DON'T GIVE A FUCK!!! But do NOT put yourself on the same level of self-sacrific as me and my bretheren!! I have a hard time when Coast Guard guys make a big deal about being in the "military." And I WILL NOT tolerate this disrecpect to those who fight and die to protect the rights for all of us to live and play the way we choose.
I lied!! I DO GIVE A FUCK!!

I have enough to believe now there is NO doubt to me GH=JP. I had been trying to withhold judgement. But given Gregs history and current profession and location, I believe he had ample opportunity to provide the vague and ALMOST accurate answer to my VERY simple question.

Here is our PM history for those interested parties. Please note, the ONLY thing I asked was what "the zoo" is...

Greg Hogue
I am contacting you directly, in that it appears you’re not as bias, as the village idiots. My attention towards this thread comes at the behest of a fellow Competition eliminator competitor Charlie Stewart whom you might recognize. We both were appalled at the unprovoked and unwarranted attacks on Greg. These individuals are manufacture accusations that Charlie confirms untrue. Greg is a dedicated competitor that deserves to be vindicated from this envious rabble that’s only inspiration is self aggrandizement.
Charlie provided me a background briefing on Greg’s involvement in Professional diesel motorsports. It’s evident that Greg is still the same high energy person that passionately campaigned in Competition eliminator a decade ago. If I were Greg, I would wipe the dirt of diesel competition off his feet and come back to Gas racing. The only defeat would be to diesel community as a whole losing a champion with inherent capability’s like Greg.

As to your query, you would be speaking of the "Wild Blue U", I did not have the opportunity to attend there as a young officer, I went straight from UNT to flight school. Had a great life herding heavy frame AC, and retire in 1990.
I have purposely been evasive about my age and entire name. This rabble doesn’t need to have any more information then pertinent, it’s so evident that they intend not to leave any dirty tricks left untried to discredit Greg or for that matter anyone that champions his predicament.
I have talked to Charlie, and we both have recommended that Greg seek appropriate remedies in the proper venue , regarding these specious attempts at defamation. These individual have by a simple preponderance of evidence gone far above the definition of vicious slander and defamation.
I ask you to step back and read this thread from a fresh prospective.

John

YELLOW57CHEVY@YAHOO.COM

Re: Greg HogueI don't condone any actions taken in that thread. By Greg or the diesel community.

I do however have doubts you are who you say you are. I find it truely disgusting that anyone would perpetrate themselves as a military officer. If you were really hiding your idenity due to security concerns, you would not have any mention of it at all, not lie about your name or rank or anything...you would know how bothersome this is to REAL veterans. I have a higher clearance than you ever did (trust me-I have accesses most only dream of) and have a full understanding of security precautions.

And no "Wild Blue U" is not the answer I was looking for. However, I will investigate that further in case I am mistaken. It's possible nicknames have changed over the decades.

Honestly, I don't get the why one pimp Hogue so much, nor do I care. But can you please tell me where this "Wild Blue U" is located? Maybe we are thinking of the same place.

Re: Greg Hogue

My do I have to spell it out ,Colorado Springs .

It’s appalling the way these people are reveling in this mob action against Greg. After Talking to Charlie, it’s good to know that the money backing Greg is solidly in his corner. This thread is just one more resource to exposure for Greg. When it’s all over, the children will be just that, and the guy with all the shinny toys will be remembered.
I spent a few hours at the show today and accomplished my list of to do’s and I’m enjoying a good time at a friend’s trailer out at the track. I will not even acknowledge the request of the mob, to do so with give them some kind of relevance

Re: Greg Hogue

When someone doubts your integrity, (do yo know what that is?) You DO have to spell it out. A retied military officer would understand that. And while a city location is one thing, it's still no the correct answer. If you think you need to hide your identity so bad from the public...PM me who you actually are so I can verify it.

I have never once said I give a shit about Greg Hogue, yet you continue to state your defense for him to me. I couldn't care less about Greg, YOU do not need to tout his history to me. You need to verify YOUR history to me.

I have made it clear I'm not in the GH=JP debate. Your style of posting and abuse of the english language prove to me you are NOT a retired AF officer, of this I have NO doubt. But pretending to be retired military and then claiming you must protect you identity is ridiculous!!!! You're hiding behind your own lies. You are a fucking disgrace to my unifrom...pray we never meet!!!!

#488 ·
Greg is a grown man. I'm here for Nitrous express.

I will post on this forum basically on my own time to answer some tech questions on our product and to do my own research as there is a wealth of knowledge here. ( Not in this Thread.)

On compD I will post again for NX and for the forum. Everyone else here is grown and can handle their own business.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.