Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Dragstrip surface preparation equipment?

30K views 47 replies 34 participants last post by  ANGRY303 
#1 ·
Google couldn't help me on that one,who sells the equipment for the small tracktors for track preparation?

#9 ·
How about a large tractor tire and some really heavy weight? This is what was used on the stickiest track I've ever been on. Sounds ghetto but it works great. It's just rubber being dragged.
x2 if i rememeber right piedmont use to do that and it worked great. hadnt been in a while so not sure if they still do it that way. they also use to do it with an s10, maybe the tractor was phucked at the time lol .

#7 ·
What are you looking for? Something to put down rubber? Something to take off the old? Or something for between rounds or oil down clean up?

#8 ·
We are looking for something to lay down rubber,clean the track and to use for cleanup after oil spills.

A few guys from here will be at the Orlando world street nationals and
Jason from VP has agreed to show them some tricks and tips and hopefully this winter we can buy a tractor with the basic equipment.

All we have now is track bite and the cars lay down the rubber and cleanups are done with cat sand,a torch and gasoline to burn up the rest.:confused:

#13 ·
We actually tried this with massive tires from a forklift and it turned to "rubber dust" then we bought a softer rubber mat that we put the heavy tires on and it worked better but eventually it tore up.

#15 ·
You might be able to fab something up yourself too. When ADRL was in St. Louis, they used a tractor and a pull-behind scrubber. The scrubber consisted of an upside down 9" rear end connected to the PTO of the tractor. There were two chains that dropped down from the rear end to an axle that had 4 tires mounted on the axle. As the tractor moved forward, the PTO would turn the tires counter-clockwise and lay down a ton of rubber.

I've seen other places use 3-4 old slicks mounted under a rear-mounted deck w/ weight on it. The tires were cut so that they laid flat and would apply a good amount of rubber and generate a good amount of heat.

#16 ·
If you are looking for oil down cleanup, there is none better than this.
http://waynesindustrial.com/

I have equipment for scraping the junk rubber off the track.

As far as putting new rubber down, most use slick carcasses on the rear of a tractor with weight above them.

#18 ·
You guys and girls should see this damn thing in action...it's a one off that none other than the Shiek himself had to have...not sure if any others have been produced but I saw it in action at QRC this past weekend and it does a phenomenal job...the tires are driven to rotate backwards while the tractor is going forward

#19 ·
Darin Sanders at Fast Chassis built this one for Ohio Valley Dragway in KY. It does a great job.
Fast Chassis 502-538-4079
. .

#21 · (Edited)
It works the same as the one above,and looks similar, except it uses three Top Fuel tires and is about twice the size. The propulsion of the unit itself is from a small block chevy, but uses hydraulics to turn and put down force on the tires.

#27 · (Edited)
Not with hydraulic downforce.

#25 ·
The Safety Safari has 2 of the above pictured tire drags. We use to have the monster that had SBC350 on it and 3 or 4 slicks (cant remember off the top of my head) but no longer use it.

8T9GT- there are more than just 1. I'm pretty sure the guys from Norwalk designed it and are making it. $45,000 price tag.

#32 · (Edited)
All of the tractors that were posted previously in this thread with the exception of the fab shop built one were built by Larry Crisp at bandimere. Weve had the luxury of using of them for 10 years now. He built the black ones for Nhra, Dubai and adrl His kids fly around the country and operate them for him. I play gold wih one of his kids often. Racing at the track where this stuff was patented is real nice...I'd hate to see how fast some of the outlaw guys would be if every track could supply that type of prep.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.