Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Making a cage

2K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Jp outlaw 
#1 ·
I got a basic pipe bender the ones with a hydraulic ram and rollers on either side but keep kinking the pipe... If i used proper rollcage pipe would it be easier ? Ive been told the seamless pipe would work out fine without using a mandrel bender machine.

Im trying to learn how to make a cage.. and get the main hoop equal on both sides but it isnt working lol...

Any help would be great!

#4 ·
here's how you do it........first go find a plumber. second get on pro-tools, JMR, JD2 or even speedway's website (or plenty of others) and buy a tubing bender. third get some good tube (seemless is good tubing AKA D.O.M. if you must ERW will work but get .134 wall) bend up your main hoop (along with whatever else you need bent)

hope that helps,
Justin

oh what was the plumber for? atleast he might be able to use that pipe bender.....................give it to him..

#5 ·
I just did my first cage with Speedway bender. It has a larger radius than the JD2. 7" vs 5.5"? It turned out good IMO. To get angle to match I used a digital angle finder. Always zero it on the tube coming into the bender and measure on the piece coming out. Write all measurements down as you go so you can make both sides the same. I used .120" dom. It is more expensive, but it is not that bad. I have about $250 in tubing.

#6 ·
When are people going to realize that pipe and tube are not the same. yeah, they're both metal and they're both round but that's where the similarities end.

I swear if I have one more person come around me and say "Hey! You got a pipe bender?!" I'mma knock someone out. :mad:

#7 ·
yeah i know but had to give it a go .. just by the time you buy all the equipment and try and get it right it works out the same if i just gave it to someone to to do instead.

but its the self gratifaction of doing a job yourself i guess.

#8 ·
yeah i know but had to give it a go .. just by the time you buy all the equipment and try and get it right it works out the same if i just gave it to someone to to do instead.

but its the self gratifaction of doing a job yourself i guess.
Exactly what most others dont understand. They see a tubing bender, notcher, etc in your shop, and still feel like we should work for $15/hr. Thanks for noticing! :)

#11 ·
ive been in your spot before you have the mentality i did trying to do it the cheap way in some cases you can but wen it comes to crucial parts you either spend the cash and have it done right and correct or you find out the hard way with either your life or wallet do yourself the favor and spend the few extra bucks and do it right dude it sucks paying for shit twice trust me!!

#15 ·
bump,,,,,,,,,any updates on this?

#19 ·
First usual major problem is that pipe is measured in ID, tubing is measured in OD. One won't correctly fit in the dies for the other. Second big issue being the metals are not usually the same(pipe is not nearly as pure of steel).

As noted by Mickey, pipe is for plumbing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.