Yellow Bullet Forums banner

RENEGADE RACING ASSOCIATION - OUTLAW CLASS 2014

18K views 180 replies 46 participants last post by  fast406malibu 
#1 ·
Our Outlaw Limited Street class just wrapped up its 3rd season and we have a loyal following of about 4 guys, and a additional racer or 2 sometimes coming out to play. These guys put on a hell of a show race in and race out, and are grateful for their loyal support of our series but would be nice to have more that 2 rounds of racing each time we are out.

We began the class mirroring Milan's rules and held to that making changes to match theirs, making a point to avoid conflicting dates and unfortunately we still have not been able to draw the cars.

Looking for suggestions for 2014 before we sit down to discuss next season and potentially open up/modify our current rules for this class.

Hope we keep this thread positive and proactive...Thanks in advance for any feedback

#2 ·
let any tire in, but keep the "stock" front suspension & frame rail rule.

#5 · (Edited)
These are the rules I'm talking about. except run 1/8 and not 1/4 mile
OUTLAW 10.5 - OL
1/4 Mile - .400 Pro Tree -16 Car Qualified Field - Pro Ladder

All vehicles must retain stock appearance and wheelbase (Full tube chassis cars may
have 1-4 inches from stock wheelbase)

Slicks must be stamped 10.5 on tire, W's are allowed. 12" maximum tread width
Weights
4 & 6 Cyl with Power Adders 2300
N/A 2100#
SB NOS 2400#
BB NOS 2625#
BB NOS - Full Tube Chassis 2750#

SB Supercharged 2800#
BB Supercharged 2900#
SB Single Turbo 2800#

BB Single Turbo 2900#
SB Twin Turbo 3000#
BB Twin Turbo 3100#
Add 50 lbs for a clutch
Add 50 lbs for Full Tube Chassis (Other than BB NOS Combo, weight listed above)
Deduct 100 lbs for a non-W 10.5 Tire (10.75 Maximum Tread Width)
Deduct 50 lbs for not using a 33" Tire
Deduct 300 lbs for Mod Motor
Lower Engine Containment Device Required:

Oil Retention Device:
  • Device may be custom-built ballistic blanket-style or metal-style (I.e., bucket)
    device.
  • Metal pan may be no longer than the engine from the front of crank shaft to the rear
    of the flywheel.
  • Pan must be inside the frame rails and fabricated to retain oil\liquid.
  • Pan must attach to the frvia conventional fasteners or straps.
  • Pan must be a minimum of 3 inches above ground.
Diapers: They do not have to be SFI rated.
In order to compete in this class, all cars must run the class windshield banner including sponsor names on the top of their windshield unless approved by the Race Director to be placed in a more visible location for viewing and safety reasons only. All cars must also run the series sponsor sticker (LaFontaine Performance Center) on their back window. This is a class rule and in order to compete in this class the class windshield banner and series sponsor must be properly displayed. If you feel you need to place them somewhere else for safety purposes, you must get that approved.

In the spirit of the racing, all cars must have a current chassis tag in order to help keep daily drivers out of the class. All final decisions are to be made by the Race Director.

MUST MEET ALL NHRA RULES INCLUDING LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION8 mile instead of Milans 1/4 program.​

#6 · (Edited)
So u now want a radial tire car to run with cars with 33x10.5w tire

Radial tires dont grow a slick tire will.grow 1.5 inches so nlw they have a 4.5 " height advantage

Lmfao

#8 ·
Ok Gerry the queation is what can they do to get more cars showing up to race that can run in the hi 4's to low 5.teens reguardless of what tire they are on. That seems to be the real question.who cares if they run a slick or a radial.I dont have a car that can run it and neither do you :)

#10 ·
They cant give them a track surface to support the power thats why no one comes period its pretty simple .......

And paul carrillon 10.50 son remember that #

#34 · (Edited)
They cant give them a track surface to support the power thats why no one comes period its pretty simple .......
Sadly, I have to agree that this ^^^^^^^ is a true statement. Maybe The RRA should try to attract some Big or slick tire fast cars....or wait to see what Kurt Johnson comes up with for his Sunday program next season and adapt its/his fast car rules. I bet they have a decent fast car, car count, considering the venue. JMO

#11 · (Edited)
Second thing numb nutz milan dont get the cars any more ....its tough out there right now ...hell 8.90 struggles to get cars add a second to the e.t and the cost

Only way to get more cars is $$$$$

#17 · (Edited)
You can always have the current OLS class AND a Outlaw 10.5/run what ya brung smaller that Pro Mod tire type class and then have them run off the winners from both classes at the end of the night....EITHER heads up or dial in to make it even. Each class can have it points and Championship....but also have weekly run off and overall "fast car" winner. Just a idea.

#19 ·
I am very interested in joining ols. I'm am very close to fitting the current rules, but as of now I don't. I'm not going to change my car to fit. I have stock front frame rails, but is strutted. (It's a ford maverick). I also have lexan. I have W tire, 31x10.5, but am willing to change that if need be. We have to find some sort of compromise to get the counts up. I don't think two classes is the answer. IMHO. Thanks.

#20 ·
I am very interested in joining ols. I'm am very close to fitting the current rules, but as of now I don't. I'm not going to change my car to fit. I have stock front frame rails, but is strutted. (It's a ford maverick). I also have lexan. I have W tire, 31x10.5, but am willing to change that if need be. We have to find some sort of compromise to get the counts up. I don't think two classes is the answer. IMHO. Thanks.
Bingo. That's the point of my rambeling... FWIW, from a spectators point of view, yours is the type of car I want to see out there.

#23 ·
first off half guys saying you want to watch street style cars like Gary Boxes Yvette must be numb from the neck up..the days of "street cars" died back in the 90's when guys started making serious power and that's where DR and OLS and 10.5 came into today...you wanna see "street cars" head down to the local mom & pops root beer stand and take a long look..;)

#26 ·
I apologize for trying to be positive & grow the RRA & its car count. I should have realized the point of this was to bash other people for making a positive contrabution, and trying to grow the class.

You guys carry on, ill take my numb head back to the 90s, now, and bow out.

#24 ·
the OLS has never been a car count friendly class,and 8.90 never has a full field.this is just my .02 not being negative.I would eliminate the OLS class and the 8.90 class could absorb some of the cars.you would have one strong class instead of two weaker classes.

#27 ·
true heads up guys are not running index...they wan't restrictions but not on the ET....or they'd be there already.

drop 8.90 and change the name to limited street and have power adder rules....more than OLS has....which has none.

keep the tire limit the same or maybe up to 31/10.5 or your taking the whole point of the class away.

#25 ·
thanks for the feedback, it is very much appreciated. Paul you were fine, didnt see anything wrong with your post.

Please don't let Gerry derail the thread, was his definite goal.

Anyone have ideas they dont want posted publicly you can always pm me here or shoot me an email tom@renegaderacingassociation.com

thanks

#29 · (Edited)
I'm in the process of building a rra car....not ols but i plan on running in the rra.....now with that being said I was crewing for dad at several races this year...and the ols class was sad to say the least.....sometimes you have to cut back certain classes to further others...,so my vote would be do away with ols class and run the classes that cars show up for,plus add the 11.50 class and you have one great series......just my .02 Not intended to upset anyone,just my point of view as spectator.....

#33 · (Edited)
I personally love the ols class and the great group of guys that go with it. I wish there was a little tweak that could be done to keep the racers we have and add a few more. You can tell when the ols class is up next because everyone and there brother runs to the fence to watch. I really like the ultra street idea also. It is growing at all of the other big races. But I don't like the idea of getting rid of 8.90 though and that would have to happen. Last Saturday was in my opinion one of the best ols shows of the year. Other than when Dave and crew are able to get down the track decent enough to run .470s. This Sat could have been anyone's race with everyone there running bottom 5s.
Bottom line is I don't have a dog in this fight and I'm gonna back out of this thread but.... I think it would be a shame to do away with any rra class at this point. Lets hear from some of the guys with cars capable of running with us. What would be some realistic suggestions?

#36 · (Edited)
Speaking as a OLS participant, I'm going to try to run the entire RRA OLS schedule next season.
I would oppose any tire larger than the 29.5 x 10.5 W. The tire is the equalizer between these power combinations.
I would rather see chassis opened up rather than tire. Let a strut chassis in and put weight on 'em.
Lexan, glass body parts, lack of interior, etc. don't matter to me at all as long as cars are at weight per rules.
I can't speak to prep at TRP as I've not been there yet but if they drag the track for us before each round it shouldn't be
any worse than Milan. Milan usually has between 8-12 cars for Holbrook Shootout OLS.
It did take a couple seasons to get there and there's really no purse to speak of to draw us in. Like $600 to win usually.
I would like to hear what the regular OLS guys thoughts are.
Constructive opinions are great, but if you don't run the class and have nothing constructive to add, how about don't come
in here trying to mess things up for us?
Ultra is struggling at Milan. No more than 3 cars at most events.
I'm going to go back over the rules for additional thoughts.

#40 ·
Rules are very similar just limit it to 275 or 28" non W slick. The problem is the guys on a 29.5 tire won't want to go smaller unless they already play on the radial somewhere else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.