MSD slip collar adjustment ? - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Electrical - Hyperaktive Performance Solutions

Electrical - Hyperaktive Performance Solutions

Old 08-08-2011, 09:50 AM   #1
bigjacksauto
Spooled up

Question MSD slip collar adjustment ?

Anyone know a more accurate / efficient way to adjust a slip collar Msd distributor
Below is info from another site that I found that seems to be the most accurate way of installing a slip collar distributor per Msd instructions any other ideas without buying the Msd tool
Also I heard they can leak so a little silicone on top of the slip collar helps?
Trying to pull up the distributor to adjust .01-.03"/.25-.75mm by hand is not done easily.

Put it in the car and don't forget the gasket. Bottomed out in the oil pump. Adjust collar against the gasket/intake and tighten. Take it out. lightly clamp it in a vise with a .02" feeler gage between the collar and the fixed vise jaw. Make sure it is square to the vice. Use the feeler gauge to make sure you have .02" all around the top of the jaws. Loosen the collar, remove the feeler gage and move the collar down against the fixed jaw in the vice and re-tighten. This should effectively pull it up .02".

Warning, a vice is not a precision instrument so be careful one jaw may not be flat to the other. That is why you measure against the fixed one and check that the other has the clearance to move the collar.
MarkW

S.H.R.A.
Syracuse Hot Rod Association
bigjacksauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2011, 10:43 AM   #2
bigjacksauto
Spooled up

Default Re: MSD slip collar adjustment ?

Also besides the question above
where exactly are you guys putting the slicone rtv to seal the slip collar
and my current distributor gear out of another distributor appears to be wearing more towards the bottom of the gear rather than center so I am assuming that when I go to install the slip collar distributor I am going to find that the distributor is going to want to drop donw in maybe .050 more than the non adjustable distributor that was in there?
But my main question would be what is the easiest and most efficient way off getting the distributor set in properly?

S.H.R.A.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:08 PM   #3
banjo
Pullin gears

Best way to do it, measure the thickness of your distributor gasket. Then subtract the desired clearance from that. I measured the felpro gasket to be about .060. If I wanted .025 clearance, Subtract that from .060 and you get .035. Now loosen the slip collar and drop the distributor in with no gasket. Use a .035 feeler gauge between the manifold and slip collar. Lock the collar down. Reinstall the gasket and you should have about .025 clearance minus a little for the compression of the gasket once you tighten the hold down.

I don't use any rtv on mine and never had it leak.

Good Luck
3280 pounds
1.33 sixty
6.15@110
9.87@131(bumping the rev limitor)
Speierracing heads

https://flic.kr/p/dwzk8E

banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2011, 06:10 AM   #4
bigjacksauto
Spooled up

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjo View Post
Best way to do it, measure the thickness of your distributor gasket. Then subtract the desired clearance from that. I measured the felpro gasket to be about .060. If I wanted .025 clearance, Subtract that from .060 and you get .035. Now loosen the slip collar and drop the distributor in with no gasket. Use a .035 feeler gauge between the manifold and slip collar. Lock the collar down. Reinstall the gasket and you should have about .025 clearance minus a little for the compression of the gasket once you tighten the hold down.

I don't use any rtv on mine and never had it leak.

Good Luck
Thanks for the info
I wonder why Msd does not suggest using the.method that you described?
Instead of the method they suggest which is

Loosen the slip collar, install the gasket, drop the distributor into the block and let it bottom out, lift the distributor back out about .010", lock the collar back down, clamp to the intake.

S.H.R.A.