Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Tractor fluid questions for trans

3K views 26 replies 7 participants last post by  6T6mustang 
#1 ·
So, I am going through my buddies c4 to upgrade it to 6/6 packs and what not.. We had run tractor fluid in it last time and I have noted some weird things. First, the fluid f$&,;! Reeks of burnt nastiness, the only thing I found was direct clutches were slipping and had started marbling the steels. The other thing is every bushing in the trans had turned blue. Not worn, just colored blue. The input shaft or stator bushings were flaking slightly which is a new one to me. Guessing it is some reaction between the fluid and the bushings? It is service pro fluid from interstate. Anyone seen this?

#7 ·
blown car, 800 hp, it isn't from heat as far as I can see, nothing else in the trans indicates heat except the direct frictions were slipping some. all seals are soft and pliable, had no symptoms, just a freshen and get rid of the smell..you have to get a bronze bushing very hot to turn it blue.. no heat rings anywhere and yes, the smell has lingered in my shop, it is terrible.. I am about tempted to heat some of this fluid to 200 and drop a bushing in it to see..

#10 ·
The fluid smells like ass because it got very hot from the converter. Either someone got stupid on the brake or trans dyno, or as suggested but you missed it, the stator support was not properly prepared and the cooler line check ball is stuck and the trans had little to no cooler flow which will make a ton of heat. The oil alone is not going to make bushings turn blue.

Hutch

#20 ·
yep, thanx dude, made me think, it was a cooler flow issue after all, the return feed into the rear port was plugged, I jumped to conclusions :-damnit so, I went ahead and opened up the convertor dump ports, and drilled out the rear feed hole to rear bushing, getting -6 lines and a new cooler..

#19 ·
Like was stated earlier, the converter got it so hot it blued the bushings, if you'd had regular red ATF, it would have turned it into what looked like engine oil. Tons out there with hydraulic oil I hope your not blaming the fluid. I'm sure whatever color the converter paint job was, it is now a duller / darker shade.

#26 ·
I pulled an Allison out once that had hydraulic oil in it and had burned up from God knows what. Trans had about 200k miles on it, and the truck had 40" tires and a tuner that was set to max on the rotary switch, but whatever the case, I have never smelled anything so bad in my entire life. It made burned ATF smell like a high class lady. I threw the uniforms I had on in the garbage and just told the Aramark guy to charge me for them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.