Yellow Bullet Forums banner

T-56 question

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  gnx7 
#1 ·
I am rebuilding a T-56 out of a '01 Trans Am with a mild LS1, and I am getting different opinions on what shift fork pads to use, the stock plastic, or the after market brass/bronze. The unit has a alum 1-2 fork, and the rest are steel. The customer says its a daily driver and it will get the shit beat out of it. :cool: Thanks.

#2 ·
Billet shift keys in the 1-2 and 3-4 slider assemblies with bronze fork pads through out the unit. I would also install a bronze isolator cup. The customer is telling you they plan on beating the shit out of it. That means eliminate as many issues as you can and tell them good luck. I would not offer much if any warranty on it if you are the one building it.

#6 ·
Thanks for the reply, I was told billet keys, on 3-4 only, and advised plastic on all pads :smt102 , I have 25+years building trans, but never built a T56 :rolleyes:, just want to do the man a good job.
On my stage 3 rebuilds, they get billet keys in the 1-2 and 3-4 assemblies. You don't see as many broken 1-2 stock keys but if the guy is telling you he plans on beating the shit out of it, why take the chance?

#7 ·
Steel 3/4 shift fork, billet keys, bronze 1-4 fork pads and carbon blockers will let it handle around 700hp reliably. Silly that the factory T56 uses paper lined blockers and plastic keys/pads. Stock alum 3/4 shift fork is prone to bending as well. Do the steel upgrade as suggested.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.