Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Broke my TH350 not suprised!! Starting a rebuild myself.

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  70caminoman 
#1 ·
I'll sum up my issues again if your willing to help. TH350 I'm guessing it was a stock rebuild it was done many years ago when the car had a very mild 350 in front of it. Been driving it for 6 years so I know it was coming. Car does 1.6 60fts, 11.8's at 114, and it's 3600lbs.

Issue; drove it to work today it and when I got off the highway it seemed like maybe 1/4 throttle input was causing a downshift into second at maybe 40-50mph I wasn't looking. tried again with the same result. Car revs like it's in neutral I think. Parked it and went inside. Came out at lunch, checked the trans level it seemed a little low, added a quart and cycled through the gears. I checked modulator for fluid and there was none, no vacuum leaks, checked detent cable adjustment, it looked ok. So I went to drive it again after it warmed up. This time, did not want to shift out of 1st, more throttle and let off it went into 2nd, but would not go into 3rd now. Gave it more throttle in second and 2nd doesnt want to hold either. I parked it again and went back inside. Gonna go get my trailer and tow it home.

So, I ordered a TH350 manual, been watching videos and write ups I think I can handle this. So tonight I think I am going to try a check pressures in the different gears to maybe point me in a direction to look for something when I tear it apart. I imagine that the directs are proble burnt up but could the burn up be caused by something else? Something that I could see in the pressures? Any direction is appreciated. I am sure that the TH350 is probably mostly stock inside, its a forward pattern, I believe manual shift because it downshifts with whatever gear you put it in, have no idea if it's dual feed or not. 3000 stall and shift is better from 1-2 than 2-3 niether feels very hard though (could be 2800 10" converter though).

Again thank you for taking the time to even read this. Just a young 25 year old guy trying to make this shit work on my own.

See less See more
#4 ·
Fluid looks great. Which is weird but I think I will at least pull the governor out of the side and see if it's clogged with any shit or something and polish the journals on that just as one last check before I tear it all down. I also plan on checking pressures on everything. I will keep this thread updated until completion for anyone that wants to know and myself.

#7 ·
well I guess this thread is going to be short. I pulled the governor yesterday and the gear was an apple core. That's exactly what I said it looked like yesterday so it's funny you would say that. I put a new one on the governor and cleaned everything out in the governor just to ensure the valve was working properly. After I put it back in. Everything was just as it was before. Worked perfect.

What causes these gear to wear like that? do some of them just wear out over time? Are bushings in the trans worn causing this? Also should I drop the pan and change the filter and fluid now that I know there is a bunch of nylon in the trans somewhere?

#9 ·
You mean worn out?

Check the clearance between the cover and gov. You can se it from the back with the tail off.

Rotate the output shaft, if it moves the governor a lot into the cover, then it will probably chew the gears again. You can corect it with a (gentle) blow with a hammer on the cover.

#10 ·
You mean worn out?

Check the clearance between the cover and gov. You can se it from the back with the tail off.

Rotate the output shaft, if it moves the governor a lot into the cover, then it will probably chew the gears again. You can corect it with a (gentle) blow with a hammer on the cover.
Ha! I actually did this when I intstalled it back in, kind of like setting camshaft endplay with a cam button and a steel cover.

Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.