Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Trans temp

6K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  93alexcoupe 
#1 ·
This my first go around with a trans brake.
Last night at the track, I was sitting on the line building boost.
Tree came down and I left with my best 60' of the day.
On the return road I looked at the trans temp gauge and it was at 300*.
TH400 with an external trans cooler.
Too hot?
Was I on the brake too long?

Advice appreciated.

#5 ·
Being turbo'd .... yeah sitting on the brake to build boost will cause the converter to build lots of heat very quickly.

Are you running a mechanical temp gauge or elec? Tell us where you have the probe located.

What trans fluid are you running?

#7 ·
Electric gauge on cooler line.
Dexron III fluid.
Gauge probe is on the bottom cooler line off trans.
If this is true, then the fluid temperature you are seeing is the fluid that is coming out of the converter, on its way to the trans cooler.

On the turbo 400, the bottom fitting is "out" and the top fitting is the "return".

#11 ·
No pics. I ran an deep sump aluminum pan on my powerglide. Drilled and tapped a beefy area on the pan for the bung. I used a B&M mechanical temp gauge. Never had any leaks.

#12 ·
sounds like you have it on the line coming out of the trans before the cooler. I used to have it like this and saw the same temps, if you were to keep the car idling in the pits the temps would go back to normal. I switched the sensor now and I get abt 200 is the hottest but usually in the 180s. Also a turbo car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.