Yellow Bullet Forums banner

old drag photos

175K views 534 replies 131 participants last post by  67novabill 
#1 ·
Someone mentioned I should post some of my dads pictures here. I guess I just spend too much time in trash or be trashed section. They dont get too excited over the idea over there. I will try a few every day for a week and see how it goes over here. These are by no means in any order, To explain, I had 2 dads growing up, both big gear heads and racers. Ive respectfully tributed my altered to them both from there 60's version cars named Sour Grapes, and Russell & Rice.

See less See more
#279 ·
Thanks for the old pics, guys. Glad to see a few of Dick Harrell. Guess he was my personal "all time favorite".

Mike Burkhart - now there was a "fly-weight" driver.. ;) Always made me feel sorry for any car that had to try to run & haul with his 400lb fat azz aboard.

#283 ·

Sorry if I showed this already, Another tech no no in todays race itenerary. I was fortunate enough to get Jerry Claytons description about this picture, it went like this.

Put yourself in the drivers seat. The car came down and did not hurt the front end. It did break the body mounts off the back of the car. They scurried to find a fix for the next round. The only thing they could think of was to wire it back together. Having no wire they cut a bunch of barb wire fencing from the tracks back perimeter to make thier repair. Then the car came back to runs its best pass of the day.

#292 · (Edited)
man dude..so many cars I've never seen pics of,like the Harrell Yenko car..very cool

any stories on why they whacked the roof off the body of the Dutchman to open the interior and did it help et at all?

thanks again for the time you've put in.
Al was always trying something different, it was another attempt to make it go faster, he thought the aerodynamics would be better. And he was right. NHRA made a rule change that there had to be a roof on the car.

I got this from NHRA web page

Al Vander Woude was in on the ground floor of the Funny Car revolution as a pioneer in Factory Experimental, and his Flying Dutchman Funny Cars were a class staple from the mid-1960s through the mid-1970s, first with Vander Woude himself driving and later Tom Johannsen. All of his cars were of his own design, and for the most part, he personally constructed or supervised the construction of his cars from the wheels up after learning all things mechanical as a U.S. Navy Seabee. Vander Woude was behind the wheel of this topless ’66 Dart, shown running in Lodi, Calif. After sitting out more than a decade, the Vander Woude and Flying Dutchman names returned to the dragstrip in the late 1980s with a car owned by his son, Don, and drivers Terry Haddock and Jack Wyatt. The elder Vander Woude died in 2001 at age 67.

#289 · (Edited)
Way cool thread. Those GLD pics are neat to see, but sad at the same time to sad see the down turn the tracks have taken over the years.

#291 ·

Wow, I remember that parade, I was just in front or behind with another car.
The Brown Nitsche & Dyer 40 Willys was very short lived.
I worked for Jerry Blackwell at Blakwell's Speedshop back in 1970. Jerry was the driver the night it crashed at Irwindale.
I still have the Moon tank from that car. It was about the only thing salvageable from the wreck.

#296 ·
Here are a few more, then my wife is taking me away for a surprise get away for our 25th wedding anniversary. I am guessing there will be no race cars, drum sets, any bands period, no kids, no pets, So I will be back around Monday or so, take care all and have a safe great Thanksgiving.

And also Thanks Denny for the link, I spent some time there but its grown about 500 pages since I last visited it, oh ya my wife says ya , thanks a lot Denny.

#302 ·
No problem.... Just tryin to help.. I go there some times to reminisce.. Of the 18 different Fuel cars I drove, there's pictures of just about all of 'em.... I also chat with some of the old farts there..
Happy Anniversary, have fun, be safe, and tell your wife she's welcome...
Denny

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.