Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Buying a FIXED 6.0 Ford

3K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  93NotchLX 
#1 · (Edited)
Just curious, given the opportunity would you guys buy a 6.0 diesel that has had all of the major issues fixed? I can pick up a nice 05 Dually for a good price from a guy that works at a local diesel repair facility. It is his personal truck and has about 5000 miles since the upgrades. Here is what has been done.

S&B Cold Air-Intake
Blue Spring Upgrade

SCT Programmer
EGR Cooler Delete
ARP Head Studs
New Head Gaskets
New injector O rings
Replace Dummy Plugs
New Stand Pipes
New high pressure pump STC fittings
Resurface and rebuild cylinder heads
Rocker Carrier gaskets
Steam intake
Split and clean turbo cases
Oil cooler

#4 ·
Well, I've had stock 6.0's that were a nightmare. But once the egr, and oil cooler issues were resolved and head studs installed, that one was a good truck. Curious Biscuit, what problems did you have after the typical issues were fixed?

#5 ·
Glow plugs and wiring sometimes give problems as well.

Or is that what you were referring to as "dummy plugs"?

I have a few friends who had problems with stock 6 liters but not after they spent the money on the common "fixes". I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I could verify the work done.

#6 · (Edited)
No, the dummy plugs and stand pipes are all part of the High Pressure Oil Pump. Another common issue with the 6.0. Verifying the work is not a problem. They will also give me a 25,000 mile warranty on any of that work, if I buy the truck.

#7 ·
Since all the problem issues have been fixed, it should last forever now. Or at least a few hundred thousand miles/km before something starts to fail.

The only thing I can see that's not on that list is new injectors, glow plugs and IDM (FICM) back half (The power supply). They won't last forever and could fail tomorrow or 10 years from now.

If I was looking for a dually with a 6.0 and the price was right, I wouldn't hesitate with all that work already done to it.

Remember, the 6.0 got a bad reputation because of Ford. Navistar used this engine in many of their trucks and when proper updates were done to the engine, they never had the same problems as the ones that were in the Fords. Fords refusal to do the updates that Navistar wanted done to the engines made them the bad engines that we know of. Once all the proper updates were done plus many others like the head studs, EGR delete etc are done, they're an even better engine.

#9 ·
All of the big stuff has been done. I looked at 6.0's and did a ton of research, that one has all the issues addressed. If you trust the work was done in good order, it would definitely be a good option if the price matches/ reasonable. I ran across a low mileage 7.3 and jumped on it. I was definitely going to buy a 6.0, but a 55k 7.3 changed my mind.

#10 · (Edited)
Already missed out on a killer deal on a 7.3. I have also been looking at a couple of LBZ Duramax trucks. Still not 100% on anything yet. Only drawback on the Ford is it is an extended cab, I'd really prefer a crew cab.

#12 ·
Fuck yeah once they are fixed they are right.

#14 ·
A few years ago, my original 2004 engine failed when an injector melted a piston a few hours drive from home. Got a complete new zero mileage engine installed. All the good stuff was done before it was dropped into the truck. At least with the EGR delete, I know that exhaust soot has never gone through the intake system to gum it all up. The head studs etc are just a bonus.

On the plus side, when the old engine was yanked out and before it was sent back for a core, I was able to keep the 3 new injectors I had installed a year before the engine failed. I now got 3 spare injectors with very low mileage on them if I ever need them again.

The only thing I needed to replace on the new engine was the ICP sensor. I think it was transfered over from the old engine and it started acting up especially in the cold weather. With 0W40 oil, it fires up great in sub freezing temps without having to plug in.

#15 ·
Going to go check it out tomorrow, after I get off work. Having to work on a Friday sucks ass. O.T. is nice, but I'd rather have my usual three day weekend.

#17 ·
#19 ·
Not buying that one. No where near as clean as it looked. Still looking. Tough to find a 2500 or 3500 someone hasn't beat the shit out of. Also seems like most everyone buys a 4WD.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.