Yellow Bullet Forums banner

add four bolt main caps to 351????????

7K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Tims88 
#1 ·
just wondering if this worth anything as far as strength is concerned a good block is not in the budget for next year. i was just wondering if any of you guys have added these and have any bad or good things to say about it or what girdle do you recommend . the motor makes six hundred on its own and i would like to give it 150 squirt next year. any insight would be great. the block already has a little fill in the water jackets. thanks

#4 ·
You are probably ok with what you have at a low compression and a small dose of the spray will be fine, but if you can budget it, it is a good investment to make.

Actually a good affordable block to go with is the World Products Man O War block, because it has splayed billet caps which is very durable. If you are in need of any parts, shoot me a message or give me a call. I can usually give you plenty of options.

Shop 660-646-4553
Cell 816-390-0852
Email cale@gofastquick.com

#5 ·
By the time you splay the caps on most block plus the fill and girdle you could have bought a good World,dart,FRPP block.

#8 ·
It ended up being 13.5:1, with Brodix M1's, SuperVictor, hydraulic roller cam, 3200lbs with no transbrake on a shitty 9" et street.

It went 10.30@133 on nuts and 9.39@148 - 151 (if it spun a little bit) on a 225-250 plate unit.

#10 ·
Big Windsors

I agree we have done a bunch of these big windsors that make over 700 fwhp N/A and some also use nitrous and are making over 1000hp. We have also never had ablock failure! But I think that if you are making over 700hp I think that the 4 bolt caps are a good idea. Also don`t use those junkie ass Red China caps as you will spend more getting them right then if you just used the Pro Gram caps to begin with. And the good blocks are 69-74 as these also have no problem going to 4.080 bore either. Dan

#11 ·
I had considered adding 4 bolt caps to a 69 block I had.. But the main webbing under the out side bolts looked so thin.. That it seemed like drilling and tapping in that area would weaken the block.. Even if you only used 3/8 bolts on the out side..

I think the stock 2 bolt caps work just fine into the 700+ hp range..

#12 ·
Big Windsors

That is what we have always found! Also I have a set of Pro Gram caps for one of these blocks and they are half price if anybody needs some. Let me say this that we have never seen a problem with the webbing when installing any 4 bolt cap on a 69-74 windsor block. Dan

#13 ·
I love the pro grams billet caps I have. really good looking piece.
My 69 block is at 4.125 and I have .165 - .170 between the walls still. Not sure how, this is some mystery Wednesday block that Ford made.

I think I may have to finish this engine now after reading all the fast low compression engines.

Hey grocery, why the 112 lobe? less overlap and some vacuum at idle? not sure why you wouldn't put a 105 -108 lobe in that thing since it is n/a

#14 ·
Big Windsors

I don`t think that is such a mystery,At one time we had access to a sonic checker and I checked about 12-14 early windsor blocks and everyone of them would go 4.080 and still have over .230-250 0n the major thrusts,so I stopped checking them and never worried about them at that bore size.And if it was me and those blocks where in a NA engine @4.125 that wouldn`t worry me either. Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.