Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Has technology helped or hurt us ?

3K views 50 replies 34 participants last post by  11613-bentwrench 
#1 ·
Serious question,
Has the internet or cell phone technology helped or hurt us ?

A few years back I hated texting people it seemed like a phucking waste of time. I found myself recently bumping people to voice mail then texting them back asking whats up ?

Today I was driving my daughter to work and I noticed she had her cell phone in her hand (new windows phone). I asked who she was texting. She said nobody just checking F.B before work. I kind of freaked out and said its a 5 minute ride to work what could you have possibly missed since we left the house (she was on her laptop before we left). She said what do you want me to do just sit here and do nothing.

Personally I think it has hurt us,

#6 ·
Not sure!...
It's a big time game changer though!...

I look at it as progress (at this point)!...
But it could easily spell our demise too!... :smt102

I understand progress, but has it gotten out of hand ?

I believe the information at our finger tips is something that is needed. But are we that lazy that we need to order a pizza on the internet instead of picking up a phone ?

#8 ·
I was just pondering that we would not have this message board without advanced technology.

We would not have daily drivers achieving 35 plus MPG without advanced technology.

We would not have cell phones without advanced technology.

We would not be living longer and healthier without advanced technology.

We would not have almost unlimited access to information without advanced technology.

I could continue with an extensive list but you see my trend.

I think the real question, the real challenge is how do we embrace these modern items to our advantage.

No question, we are living an amazing time in human history and for the most part I like the technology. However, I also find it a daily challenge to use the technology to improve myself, the way I work, being productive etc.

#14 ·
probly helped on the medical side. saved lifes and cars are safer. everything else has hurt us. no one wants to go work hard to make there money they want to punch keys. lots of jobs overseas now. anything that can be done on the internet will be gone someday. i think the people in most danger are the people in offices or who use computers.

#17 ·
Its done both, it has made many good things instantly accessible, it has also made many bad things instantly accessible. I believe it has made people lazier and less likely to actually follow up with someone they don't have standing in front of them. I like doing business face to face and not via email, I do realize in the modern world email, text and cell phone are the way it is done, doesn't mean I can not prefer face to face interaction.

#21 ·
I have learned more from the internet than I ever did from a school teacher.

It gives pretty much anyone the knowledge database to do anything. Just YB has 100 ways to do any one thing. You can skip mistakes by talking to experianced people as well.

Oh and it makes cheating easier in a relationship too, or helps fill a single mans weekend with easy women. Some may be married.

#22 · (Edited)
Both. First it has broaden the medical field, war field, and even more and more inventions are created cause of it.

The bad: made people fucking stupid and easily fooled into lies, scams and cheats. Also is inhibits ones intellectual abilities duri g face to face interactions.

It is a tool that we take for granted. It has given us so much but, it has also taken so much. Texting and driving deaths are increasing everyday, and people are more worried about what people on FB think of them than what their own kids, husband ect do. It has also pusified Americans into hiding behind computers to fight battles ect.

I love and I hate it at the same time.

#43 ·
I have the "dumb phones" last one lasted 5 years till it fell 8' and broke the hinge so it wouldn't work , bought a new "dumb phone " camera and text only have no problems ,

wife has a so called smart Phone , but it must have flunked phone school as the dam thing always fucks up and not do what you ask it to do . its like a fucking teenager .. its been back to the store 4-5 times already.. only time I go to the phone store is when I buy my new phone every couple of years , other than that never ...

My dumb phone is a hardened kyocera dura XT

#33 ·
I WOULDN'T HAVE MY BUSINESS IF IT WERE'NT FOR TECHNOLOGY....AS FAR AS SOCIAL TYPE STUFF....IT DEPENDS ON THE PERSON.....I ENJOY IT...BUT IT DOES GET OLD SOMETIMES....ESPECIALLY THE PEOPLE WHO ONLY TEXT....IT'S LIKE PICK UP THE PHUCKING PHONE

#47 ·
agreed cell phones in the trucking industry helps greatly , I have had one since 1991 , back then it was expensive , but it made me alot of money as customers could get me loads while I was in transit so it was worth the expense of $120 a month , no rolls of quarters and trying to find a payphone that worked

I still have my Bag phone that I originally bought in 91 , damn batterys were $50 back then ( which is like $150 today )

, had a 2 way ( Motorola closed channel ) radio for a while but it sucked and if you went out of your service area , it was dead it was only good for the one city unless you bought a service plan , and you had to have a base for someone to dispatch out of .and if you swore the FCC would fine you $25 ( yes the monitored the usage ) and sometimes you would have to wait for the channel to clear up as it was like a party line but you couldn't hear the other companies .

when I brokered on with the national carrier , I put quallcoms in the trucks, made it easier for dispatch to know were the driver was at any time as it showed location on the map and updated every 5 minutes , and to get hold of them also it made it easier to dispatch load numbers..

, I had a few drivers who were initially against it , but when they realized how helpful they were they liked them ( had one driver who had a stroke in the sleeper and hit the emergency button it saved his life as we knew were he was at exactly (within 30 feet) and he had a hard time speaking so we knew he was having a problem and when we weren't in the office Quallcom watched it for emergencys , I could dispatch a load or wake a driver up if needed (yes we used to play alarm clock ) or get hold of them where cellphones don't work,
and in the later years the mechanic could check a trucks ECM while it was in motion to see if there was a problem . also monitor speed and engine functions while driving , I didn't care about the speed portion they thought I was watching this , My attitude was if you speed and get caught you have to pay the fines , and you might loose your job . only bad thing about quallcom is you have to stop to type

, I paid $75 a month to the drivers so they had a cellphone as no one made units that mounted in the trucks anymore .so between the quallcom and the cell there was no reason I couldn't get hold of them .

and the most annoying thing is when a driver calls while in the shitter , everything echos .... my dispatcher used to put then on speaker or the shop intercom and it got to be humorous at times .as the intercom, the whole building hears it ( unless you were on private which was most of the office ) and anyone can reply if they are near a speakerphone .

#40 ·
Nope. Idiocracy is where we're headed. It is a double edged sword. We can communicate much more easily, but government now has a much better idea of who we are vis-a-vis our personal information we put out. Pretty much a wash.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.