Yellow Bullet Forums banner

GM A-body front coilover spring #

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Turbobuick6 
#1 ·
Car is 3000 lbs loaded. BBC, big chief head, Dart block. 350lb spring sound like a good place to start? Have not scaled it...

#2 ·
What kind of spring? QA1's beehive's? Or a true 2.5" coil-over spring like Hypercoil, and if so, what length can you run (i.e. our coil-over kit for those utilizes a 12" spring... but other ways of doing it require either 8" or 10" length springs). The height of the spring being used will make a difference.

#5 ·
The Hypercoil 2.5" springs are the best. But the 10" spring on there might want to coil bind real quick... and also won't have a lot of stored energy for upward travel. I'm not sure what rate spring you'd need using the 10" spring on the front there... all of our data on spring choice in those is using our cups and a 12" spring. I'd guess you'd need a 10" - 400 lb. spring or so. The QA1 beehive spring would be OK... would probably be just as good as using your 10" springs. Both will have the same problem with coil-bind and lack of stored energy because they're short.

#9 ·
FWIW ...... good info above I have DA coilovers on front of 66 Chevelle TRZ arms 1900lbs .......Hypercoil 10" 400lb ....... works OK does not bind ...close
but as TRZ says do not have enough travel 5" max .should have went with cups to allow 12" coilovers

#6 ·
Jeff,
With the QA-1 c/o's on the front of my car I have 350LB springs I believe.
It's about 1800lb on the front wheels and you know a BBB with all the stuff on the block is comparable to a Dart block.
I have extras in 250/350lb progressive and a set of 450 lb springs.
Ultimately I think I will be changing to a double adjustable Afco to match my rear shocks.

#10 ·
i'm glad you asked this question.. i called TRZ about the coilover conversion for my build: http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=536119 a few weeks ago and plan on ordering all the A arms etc in a week or so in order to finish the front end i need a base idea for the spring as well.. my car should come in around 2800#'s loaded, i'm thinking a 12" spring would be best around 350#,, TRZ thoughts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.