Yellow Bullet Forums banner

***Roll Cage FAQ's***

404K views 601 replies 194 participants last post by  Deleted member 74842 
#1 ·
Thanks to Gilsbach for making this a sticky.

Everyone seems to have a lot of the same questions about cages and chassis' on a regular basis. Let's see if we can put them all in here so everyone has one central place to look.

#457 ·
Is there anything on the width of a Halo? What's best?

I'd like to mount it so it's backed up by the down bars going from the main hoop to the rear frame rails, but that means it's only 36" OD.

The halo I just cut out (don't ask) measured 40" wide but was not backed up by the rear down bars, but it's good to back up the bars where ever you can...Que no?

#459 ·
Ok guys car is a 4th gen fbody.. I have the 25.5 book. Im still confused on one thing. Im converting an 8.50 cert to 25.5. I plain to put the #1 bar inbetween the main hoop. I would like to run the rest on my floor bars 7a,7b,2a,2b and 6abc under the car. I plan to tie 6abc into to rockers and front frame rails. Run my inner and outer frame rails back towards the rear of car. This is where im having confusion. Can i weld plates to the body/floor board and tie them into that. Under the #1 bar. Or does the rear of my frame rails need to bend up thru the floor and directly intersect the #1. Here is a pic of how above floor is laid out now.

#465 ·
where can I find information about building a roll cage specifically the trunk area of a car ? I currently have a 8.50 et. 10 point Moly cage installed but I need to or would like to add to the trunk area of the cage. I would like to know what the minimal size tubing ( OD ) needs to be in moly of corse , I understand that most if it would need to be 1-5/8s .083 wall , but which bars ? is there any bars that can be say 1-1/2 or 1-1/4 ? I'm also adding a shoot mount too. I've looked at the nhra rule book but it's not showing or I'm missing what I need ... Sorry I'm totally new to building a cage , I had my cage installed by a reputable chassis builder in my area. yes I know I could take it back to him and have him do the work but I would like to tackle this myself.

What Im doing...63 Chevy II stock suspension car ..I've relocated my leaf springs in board the frame rail and adding sliders to the the car , my sliders are about 3" inside the frame rail , I was going to mount my sliders to a plate in the trunk floor obviously this isn't strong enough so I wanted to add to my trunk down bars so I can tie these plates to the chassis or cage if you will. I'm also mini tubbing my car and need to relocate my down bars so I can have more room , I had the cage installed then down the road decided to mini tub. or is there an easier way instead of this ?

Car is street / strip and runs 10.50s on the bottle , I'm setting the car up to be faster in the future. will be on 275s and I don't want to go faster than 8.50 et. Sorry for the long question as I'm new to this chassis building stuff

#468 · (Edited)
I'm just adding to the down bars in the trunk so it ties into the plates for my sliders. if I did what your saying would the car still pass 8.50 et cert ? if I go faster wouldn't I have to build the car to 25.x SFI spec ??

I'm trying to do something like this. just want to know what size the tubing is to accomplish this what's pictured. Mind you his car was built to 25.5 spec , I don't want to build mine to that spec. not building it for any specific class or anything , just want to make sure it will pass 8.50 et

#467 ·
Me and my buddy are looking at an old FED chassis, it was built late 60's early 70's. We would need to certify for 7.50. Can you tell me what the current rules are for tubing sizes and thickness? We know it needs another helmet bar installed but don't know what the current rules are as far as mild steel or CM sizes and thickness on the whole works. We don't want to end up stuck with something that can't pass certification.Dave

#477 ·
I have a 10pt cage in a foxbody. Wondering if anyone has tied the main hoop to the B-pillar. I welded the plate to the hoop and bolted it to the B-pillar using the factory seat belt hole. I did this 20 hrs ago and don't know if it actually serves any purpose. At the time I was thinking it added rigidity to the body.

#479 ·
With DOM you should be fine. I generally get .125 wall if I'm getting DOM. I've never seen any cert guy check the wall thickness in a bend otherwise most moly cages would fail. It's not a issue of getting thin in bends it a tolerance thing I've heard ERW has a tolerance of +/- .010 where DOM is +/- .002

#480 ·

A couple of questions regarding the legality of the roll bars above....is the diagonal bar in the first pic okay? I realise it is an Aussie car and its obvious he has done it so passengers can enter the rear of his car easily....but is it legit?

Same question for the second pic. I suspect this is the beginnings of a funny car car cage going in, but could this hoop inside the main hoop be used instead of having the horizontal bar across the back of the seats? Yes, I'm looking at ways to ease passenger entry to the rear seat....and yes, I am aware rollbars and streetcars are persona non grata in some people's eyes...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.