Yellow Bullet Forums banner

How much fluid does it hold?

2K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Cock Guzzler 
#1 ·
I've got a 1952 Studebaker with a 1000 HP turbo'd Hudson Hornet flat 8, and a Slim Jim transmission.

I have no concept of how a dipstick works, or why anybody would use one. So can someone just tell me how much fluid I should put in?

#5 ·
No.... My favorite is when they call and tell me it won't take fluid.... keeps burping back up the tube. Funny things happen when their mud clogged vent hose isn't blown out...... but we fix that for them. Have the installer listen for air at the tube while the other guy blows air in the hose to unclog it. ;)

#11 ·
Everyday. But this particular question is my favorite. It instantly let's me know the customer is an idiot, who is also unwilling to read the instructions I sent.

I get customers who ask if it comes filled with fluid already. Or "do I have to install the dipstick". Me: No I'm sure the UPS guy can do that for you.

#10 ·
Sounds like a really good way to get a bunch of burnt up transmissions.

I fail to understand how fucking hard it is to properly fill a transmission and use a dipstick. Not expect some completely arbitrary answer of an amount.

I learned long ago that the end user and most shops weren't capable of tuning line pressure. Fixed line pressure solves that. Dyno tested units come back, still making proper pressure and most of the clutches are hurt. Wonder how that happens...

#16 ·
I get asked that question way too often and instead of taking a defensive approach , sometimes its best to try and figure out maybe why the question is being asked. This is my new way of handling things and it seems to help.

My response is normally , if its all dry you should be in the 10 qt range or so. Put 5 or 6 in the trans fire it up and start checking the stick.

Many times the reply will be, I just wanted to know how many to put in before I start it up and then roughly where to go after the engine starts.

That's all for today , flame away if you so desire :p

Hutch

#18 ·
I took that approach several years ago. I realized that the average technician in a shop, and especially a DIY guy, no longer understands the improtance of proper fluid level or how the unit functions at all.
So I tried to defeat this by making a thorough installation packet that details how to verify dipstick calibration and check fluid level, including the 5-6 qts and then fire, fill, check, double check, drive EASY, triple check, then go put it on blast.

And I STILL answer this question EVERYDAY.

They are too lazy or stupid to read the packet we send out to help them protect their $2000-10K investment.
So when it comes back in burnt the fuck up, and not because they couldn't install a torque converter, it's low fluid level. They always whine when they get the bill.

#17 ·
We did a bench job once, 4r70w. We always give them a quick run down explaining proper converter installation (we install it properly and put a holder on it), how much fluid to put in first, then start, then check stick, etc.

This dude calls us the next day, irate, "this MFer won't move!" Yada yada, we ask how much fluid he has in it. He says "I put 5 in like you fucking said", clearly, this indicated that he stopped listening to our block of instructions a mere 17 seconds into the 4-5 minute instructions. we say a prayer everytime a bench job leaves our shop. We usually vet out the morons.

#19 ·
The dudes that handle the awkward moments the best I've noticed, just don't answer the phone. Because it's when you do answer the phone in an attempt to be helpful, the door for awkward moments is opened.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.