Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Best way to clean up grain

866 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Lewie3467 
#1 ·
So this past weekend I brought the camera out to Route 66 raceway in Joliet for some NHRA action. I took a LOT of pics (the ole spray and pray method) and a fairly large amount turned out good. My problem is I was shooting from the stands using my 24-70, and the more or less ALL need to be cropped. When I crop them (or really when I look at them 100%) they look grainy. The pro stock pics from around 3 look fine, but the fuel classes ran at 5:30 and 8 at night and are not as nice. So the question is, what is the best way to clean them up some, or is there even a way at all? I can put up an example if needed.

Thanks,
Sean

#2 ·
If you don't mind, post up a cropped out part of a pic. I will run it through LR3 on the Mac or another version of the same sort on the PC. If you can, post a part that has some light and dark if that makes sense. I ain't no post processing ninja, but I will recommend based off your pictures and my software/skills.

I can do JPEG or Cannon RAW.

#4 ·
Any suggestions? This isn't the greatest pic, but I just grabbed one real quick and cropped it for an example. If there is no hope I wont really be all that upset. Next time it comes around I will hopefully have a 70-200 f/2.8L at my disposal. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,
Sean

#10 ·
X3, 24-70 from the stands you won't have much success cropping that tight .. actually with any lens and enough distance you'll experience the same thing :)

LR is much better with noise cleanup than before, but I go over to photoshop with noise ninja when I am trying to salvage a shot with a lot of noise instead of throwing it away. LR seems to soften up the image too much with its noise reduction, IMO

#11 ·
I've noticed on a lot of buy and sell forums, there are a lot of people getting(and wanting) that new 70-20mm from Canon. Good deals to be had on an older one.[/QUOTE]

I a used 70-200 2.8L about 2 months ago. i got a good deal on it, and the guy only used it twice! very clean. and i love it!!! i would suggest it to anyone looking for a nice piece of glass.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.