Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Shifnoid Problems

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  JShelton 
#1 ·
Shifnoid Problems

Could post in electrical section, but thought I would look for help here first.
We are running a big block Chevy with turbo 400 reverse pattern with Hurst Pro Ratchet Shifter and no brake.
Installed Shifnoid end of last year and only made it to the strip 2 times, but each time the 1st to 2nd shift comes off perfect at 6000 rpm’s but the 2nd to 3rd shift don’t happen.
After checking everything electrical & mechanical and finding no problems, we set up on jack stands and set the Shifnoid rpm controller to shift at 2000 rpm’s and like clockwork, the 1st to 2nd shift was on the money, but would not shift from 2nd to 3rd.
Decided to toss out the Shifnoid NCRPM 1000 Super Class RPM Switch and replace it with an MSD 8950 RPM activated switch last fall. Car out this spring and we ran a total of 4 runs, with perfect 1st to 2nd shifts but never made it from 2nd to 3rd .
We also put in a back up system last fall with shift light and a switch on the steering wheel to manually / electronically shift the transmission so we used it for our 2 last runs of the day, and 1st to 2nd perfect and 2nd to 3rd perfect. Shifnoid /MSD box is located all the way back beside driver to get away from the ignition system. We are now changing the spark plug wires and going to try an MSD 8830 noise filter because the RFI filter that Shifnoid suggested, was not available locally ( Local shop told me that RFI filters not used much any more but were big about 15 years ago)

Looking for any help or ideas that will cure this problem.
Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Throw that POS in the trash!I have several friends try this unit and had the same problem. Call shifnoid up and they start telling you how to rewire your car BS. Sad thing about it is u screw your perfectly good shifter up to try and make the damn thing work .They all ended up buying the turbo action cheetah shifter and never looked back! I've got the cheetah in my car and it works flawless without having to rewire it. Shifnoid=POS.:mad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.