Yellow Bullet Forums banner

suspesion desion for repeated wheelie landings ???

3K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  rearwheel60s 
#1 ·
any tips or suggestions for setting up a suspension to handle repeated wheelie landings? say 24"

longer shocks? bais ratios? subframe/suspension bracing?

im looking to build a fun car and i want to wheelie and am not as interested in winning money or races, at this time. :rolleyes:

73 nova, blown iron bbc 700hp absolute max, fiber front clip, complete aftermarket front suspension/subframe, back halfed.

again, just a fun car not a race winner.

#4 ·
STRANGE ADJUSTABLES, COILOVERS AND SUSP. LIMITERS UP FRONT! THEN JUST LET IT RIDE

#5 ·
honestly i have no idea on the weight. as of right now there is no suspension at all.

i might buy the car off my neighbor kid, dip shit wrecked it 3x in 6months and has fubar'd the front subframe, so im working with a blank slate, im ready to run a full must2 front, stock front, ??, pretty much anything you guys point me to
i plan on completely stripping the car down to nothing more than a shell, including cutting out the inner door frames and dash, fiber glass front end/hood, lexan windows and a single seat. by the time i add the +lbs bbc the and the cage it will probably be back to close to stock.

#7 ·

Unless you plan on getting scared, 24" is nothing.
If you keep lifting and slamming down, then you will need some protection.
Build a quality combination, start slow and once it stays straight, it will come down fine.

#14 ·
so what about wheels?

standard solid center line 15x6" gona takek the abuse or is something beefier needed?

aside form obvious structual failures like shock tower tearing off what is the next common break on hard landings? spindles shearing? balljoints? A-arms folding? A-arm mounting points?

#15 ·
Your over thinking this. I have Mickey Thompson ET Drag wheels up front which are only 1/2" thick centers, very thin spokes and they have survived dropping the front end from 3 feet in the air. Not a soft wheelie landing, but lifting and dropping the front end.

Make sure the ball joints, tire rod ends and a-arm bushings are in good mechanical shape.

Other than the good shocks, let it eat.

#16 ·
^^^^^^^x3 Listen to this guy;)

On them front tires being taller, it will give you more runout thru the beams, and give some more gound cleanance the taller they are. Doesn't really matter what size tire is on the front if the front end lifts up right?;) Your gonna need some power too!!!:cool:

#18 ·
Good shocks and plenty of travel so the shocks can do their job. Also, may want to take the springs off and let it down on the ground to see what is going to hit first and that the shocks are not bottoming out before it touches. Build 3 or 4 bump stops or skid plates that will all hit at the same time to help distribute the impact. That or have a budget ready for repairs. Been there.

Trevor

#29 ·
Good shocks and plenty of travel so the shocks can do their job. Also, may want to take the springs off and let it down on the ground to see what is going to hit first and that the shocks are not bottoming out before it touches. Build 3 or 4 bump stops or skid plates that will all hit at the same time to help distribute the impact. That or have a budget ready for repairs. Been there.

Trevor
Exactly, wheelstands are no good if it comes down and hits the pan or headers so ground clearence is important.
Here is a video of our wheelstander.
http://youtu.be/LWD9sbw_UWk
http://youtu.be/fAP_2rxz_GA
http://youtu.be/zd3TadLVg9E
Start this video at 1.50 http://youtu.be/qGq7GVUAADE

#19 ·
I was thinking the taller tire would give you more "GIVE". The tire is the one part on the front of the car thats not steal or aluminum. It would put more area between the the wheel and the track surface allowing the air in it to give (i would rather the give be in the air/tire rather than the control arms,shocks,etc). Just my .02.

#24 ·
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
dont run strap limiters if your going up high . that limits the amount of travel the shock has to do its job coming down .
oooops did that to . ...dont think the bumper is a good place to be as when it hit uneven it will drag and unload 1 tire on the same side that will rear stear you into other harder objects .......look up the byron wheelstands on you tube

#22 ·
short race struts and spindles dont last .a long travel stock front end with two way shocks will let it settle and not bounce .
this is fun!!!

#25 ·
Get you weight right and dont use limiters if you have to use them you have your rear suspension screwed up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.