Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Ford Thunderbolts...

47K views 125 replies 64 participants last post by  HS400 
#1 ·
Let's face reality. The reason that Plymouth and Dodge had to go to the altered wheelbase cars, was to stay competitive against the Fords. The T-Bolt was not an altered wheelbase car, and in fact, was a legal Super Stocker. Enough units were made in the factory to make them legal. The 427 Mustangs that followed fell into the A/FX catagory but the T-Bolts were legal S/S racecars.

See less See more
#5 ·
and they were only a dollar.................

#6 ·
George, the first pic of the T-Bolt you posted was probably the most well known one at the time. Butch Leal! I'm seeing a guy tomorrow that bought one new and lived in Dayton. It was yellow. Urban Auto Sales was on the doors. It was driven by Chuck Callahan. Them and the 65 Hemi cars were a toss up in performance. Back then is S/S you had to run a 9 in. tire. The S/SA record in 65 was 11.27@129.00 mph. That was held by Wes Koogle for a while. The T-Bolts werent any faster. I liked the 64 Comets!

#8 ·
George, the first pic of the T-Bolt you posted was probably the most well known one at the time. Butch Leal! I'm seeing a guy tomorrow that bought one new and lived in Dayton. It was yellow. Urban Auto Sales was on the doors. It was driven by Chuck Callahan. Them and the 65 Hemi cars were a toss up in performance. Back then is S/S you had to run a 9 in. tire. The S/SA record in 65 was 11.27@129.00 mph. That was held by Wes Koogle for a while. The T-Bolts werent any faster. I liked the 64 Comets!
When Butch Leal's (actually Mickey Thompson's) car was delivered to Long Beach, it did not have the teardrop bubble in the hood, only two ugly "bumps" where the carbs were. It was also the ugly "dark maroon" that many of the cars (like the Tasca car) were painted. If I recall, they only came in two colors, the dark maroon or white. The Leal car also did not have the Bostron seats, they were sent later.

#7 ·
We grew up in Dearborn Hts, and on one trip thru Dearborn with the parents, my dad stopped with the whole family to watch them unload T-Bolts on Michigan Ave, in front of Village Ford. Very cool, and knew what they were back then.

#11 ·
The first 11 were "vintage burgandy" after that the remaining 89 cars were "wimbelton white". There are many differances between the vintage burgandy and white cars. The story about Leal's car is that it had the cloverleaf hood on it prior to the presentation of the cars at the Dearborn Proving Grounds. Butch saw it and told Mickey Thompson he didn't like it as much as the "teardrop" hood that was on Gas Ronda's car. Mickey pulled a few strings that night and the next day Leal's car was presented to Butch with the teardrop and Ronda got the cloverleaf.

Not all 100 cars were "dollar" cars. The vintage burgandy cars were and a few white ones were but that was it. Ford did not make a proffit on any of them though no matter the price.

The "Bob Ford" car in the photos is a clone. A friend of mine owns the real one and it is restored and properly lettered. It was also the second one built.

I've researched these cars for over 30 years. They are without a doubt my favorite car.

By the way there will be a reunion of the Ford Drag Council at the NHRR at Bowling Green. Many of the cars and drivers will be there. The Drag Council were the "factory" guys who got the "dollar" cars.

T-bolt trivia - Anyone know whose T-bolt had the lowest number VIN and whose was the first T-bolt built? They aren't the same....

#13 ·
T-bolt trivia - Anyone know whose T-bolt had the lowest number VIN and whose was the first T-bolt built? They aren't the same....
crap...you tree'd me on everything I said :(

Ford Drag Council.....I got that wrong :(

But I do know that Brennan got the First available Thunderbolt. Dick Brennan was Ford's golden child since '62. Ford gave him anything he wanted. Who you kidding'! As for the lowest VIN tagged car...no clue.

#19 ·
Mickey Thompson got two. Butch Leal's and the "hemi" car that was driven by Jess Tyree. The lowest VIN car was Gas Ronda's. Dick Brannan did get the first one built. This just proves that they built them in no particular order in regards to their VIN.

Next trivia question - how many automatics were there built in the 11 vintage burgandy cars and who got them?

#33 ·
Dallas Kelly owns this car and has for quite awhile. It was recently redone and will soon be out running SS/B. It was originally purchased by David Harrell from Al Means Ford in Decatur GA. and ran out of Phil Bonner's shop "Horsepower Sales". It was called the Crop Duster back then. Popular Hotrodding did a feature on it back in the 80's.

#36 ·
Thank you George for starting this thread,regardless of all the correct info.I love these cars.I was asking about some old pics or converted videos of the older drags with these cars.I will get a few pics.I have a diecast collection of thunderbolts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.