Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Head choice for mild 383 build

8K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  ten5nova 
#1 ·
I wanted to hear your guys's opinions between 2 heads. The RHS vortec heads and the Patriot Performance vortec heads. I'd like to build a 383 for my 92 Camaro, daily driver. The cam I plan on using is a Bullet cam (2-6K range). So far everything is stock (coverter/rear gear), but will be upgraded. Which one would you choose? Thanks.

#5 ·
RHS indeed. RHS owned by COMP, the quality control is very good with them. Have a few customers who have used them and are quite happy.

#6 ·
mixed signs with patriot
Yea, I've read a few things but nothing about any current issues. I think the last post I saw was here on YB, but that was from 08. I figured maybe the QC may have improved.

do some research....people like rhs stuff....
I've actually been researching for well over 2 years now... Not for this build necessarily but in general. I've seen many reviews on the RHS heads, it's more so I'm trying to figure out whether it's the right choice (specs wise) I can never seem to find any info that helps me understand part selection. Either it's guys just picking parts without understanding all the variables and going through trial and error, only to later go and bash good products cause their combo was all wrong .... Or it's some of the stuff I've seen explained here on YB that's just way over my head, at least for now based on my current skill level. I've had guys tell me to use a 180cc head and some say 200cc's. Now i"m not saying either are wrong, just saying that with a 20cc difference between heads all heads in that range can't be optimal.

RHS indeed...
That's what I was leaning towards, just wanted to see what you guys thought. Maybe you can shed some light on this for me. I've seen charts and info about what size runners are recommended but then I've read plenty of times that a 180cc head can outperform a 200cc head. So I'm curious, how does someone decide what their combo calls for?

#7 ·
IT really depends on on what your doing. The 180cc from them would be a street machine torque monster, but the 200ccs might be better suited if you want more higher RPM HP.

For a DD, the 180s would prob probably have power in the range you'll spend most of your time in.

IF you havent picked them up yet, PM me and I can get you some prices, Im a dealer with RHS and can save you some cash.

Mike

#12 ·
Friend has a 383 roller cam motor with Dart Iron Eagle Platinums 200cc. It runs real good
Is it in a daily driver?
PRO-FILERS HEADS.IS AMERICAN MADE FROM START 2FINISH.it is a bad 2 the bone head.
Thanks for the info, maybe for future builds.
if your only looking at going 6k rpms with 383 cubes, id stick with 180cc....
Thanks for the heads up. (no pun intended)
IT really depends on on what your doing. The 180cc from them would be a street machine torque monster, but the 200ccs might be better suited if you want more higher RPM HP. For a DD, the 180s would prob probably have power in the range you'll spend most of your time in.
See now that's were I'm curious... What rpm range does the 180cc put me in vs the 200cc? Here's something else I'm curious to know.... Is there a way to match heads to a cam and vice versa? If so how? I know it'd be more noticeable in a race application vs a DD, but I was just wondering. For example, a 350 with a 1500-5500 cam and a 180cc head. Now keep everything the same except now a 383. I don't understand how with the added 33 cubes you wouldn't want a bigger head. I'd assume when going up in CID using a 180cc head, sooner or later that runner size would be too small and become a restriction (still using a 1500-5500 cam). Correct me if I'm wrong or just talking out my a**.
Thanks.

#17 ·
what about some track1's
Not for this motor. Maybe for my other Camaro... That one will be a track car only. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Is there a way to match heads to a cam and vice versa? If so how? What rpm range does the 180cc put me in vs the 200cc?
Anyone have an answer to this? Excuse my incognizance, but just be aware that I don't have years of experience under my belt. I've only been at this for about 2 years or so. I still have a lot to learn. Is there a way to figure out what you need instead of just looking at proven combos and basically just copying them? Not that there's anything wrong with that. A lot of people my age are content with just doing what someone recommends, I'd rather understand how and why on a technical level. I know you guys say 180cc's will be fine but aside from the fact that most of you know it works based on experience, can something like this be figured out on paper, or calculated, etc? Thanks.

#23 ·
Not for this motor. Maybe for my other Camaro... That one will be a track car only. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Anyone have an answer to this? Excuse my incognizance, but just be aware that I don't have years of experience under my belt. I've only been at this for about 2 years or so. I still have a lot to learn. Is there a way to figure out what you need instead of just looking at proven combos and basically just copying them? Not that there's anything wrong with that. A lot of people my age are content with just doing what someone recommends, I'd rather understand how and why on a technical level. I know you guys say 180cc's will be fine but aside from the fact that most of you know it works based on experience, can something like this be figured out on paper, or calculated, etc? Thanks.
Go to wallace racing calculators on the internet. It will help you figure csa, choke points, and runner lengths. Formulas to help you make an educated decision.

#21 ·
So it sounds like this motor is just for street and maybe some track time just for shits to see what it does. Great, go with the 180cc head for your street 383 because it will be real responsive down low and mid pull. I am a big fan of what AFR has to offer and have seen awesome results with the 195 on similar engines to yours. You can't go wrong with either of those.

#22 ·
So it sounds like this motor is just for street and maybe some track time just for shits to see what it does.
Pretty much
go with the 180cc head for your street 383 because it will be real responsive down low and mid pull. I am a big fan of what AFR has to offer and have seen awesome results with the 195 on similar engines to yours.
I will most likely go with 180's. Still curious between the differences. 180cc vs 195 on a 383 or any motor for that matter. 180cc will put me at low to mid range and a 195cc will move it up in RPM's... To where? Let me ask this a different way. (Theoretical Example) Take a 383 and slap a 230cc head on it, now what RPM's will that head want in order to work best?

#24 ·
Just did a 383 with edelbrock etech heads 170 cc and rpm intake in a 78 vette. motor runs real strong. street car only. Dont ust patriot seen a lot of bad stuff on them.do a search on here.

#25 ·
So, I'm getting my 383 Short Block from the Engine shop soon and I have a question for you guys... Seeing as the the bore is a 4.030 now, what head gaskets would you run? Reason I ask is cause the shop got me a set of gaskets as well, but they're FelPro 1044's. I'm trying to understand why they'd get me a 4.200 bore head gasket to put on a 4.030 motor. Any ideas???

#27 ·
Dont know why they would sell you a 4.2" bore gasket for that. What is wrong with a felpro 1003 ? It is 4.166" and .041" thick. So depending on whether your deck height is right for that thickness or not, I would lean towards a 4.166" bore gasket. Maybe the people selling you the 4.2" bore either didn't listen to you, or get better deals on the 4.2" gasket, or it is what they keep in stock as a 'one size covers all' gasket???

#26 ·
do a search on CSA here (or wallace calcs)
there are formulas for figuging out what size head you need based on cubes, rpm... something around 2.1" SQ. will work well.
I dont see the point of buying a set of heads that you may upgrade later. Just buy some decent casting now.
A 200cc head with a 2.05" valve will work well and support plenty of power later down the road if you get them ported.
For a daily driver buy a good set of heads and stay mild on the cam, you can make around 500hp and run easy 11s and stay very mild and streetable with hardly any cam.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.