Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Fox body manual brake conversion...

83K views 161 replies 41 participants last post by  bad 406 dime 
#1 ·
I've got an 85, using stock drums, and 87-93 style calipers up front. Have heard so many mixed opinions and such on what's what and i am looking for simple to find, easy to source conversion parts.

I most recently found a kit from jegs that says it can be used with factory brakes right up to drag brake setup with four wheel disc. The master cyl bore is 1.125" though????

I got some good info from a guy on the corral and he used an early 80's ford ranger manual master cyl that came with the pedal pushrod, upr plate and wala! Problem is I'm having trouble finding the master cyl.

What has everyone else done? I prefer to do this once obviously so if I can't get something that will work now an when I install drag brakes that would be mint...if not then what can I do?

Thanks!

#5 ·
Yes your right Chrysler style master cyl is used in all the brand name kits, strange, racecraft, skinny kids etc etc.....however they all recommend drag brake kits that have either one big piston or multiple pistons. I've heard the brakes will not function properly if using stock stuff.

90-92 ranger???? Info????

#6 ·
With that combo I have used a 84 mustang manual master with a upr adapter plate. The big bore master will not work well with the small piston calipers.

You will need to move the push rod on the pedal up and install the pedal in the lower set of holes in the pedal box to get the ratio correct.

#7 ·
Sounds good to me and I'm sure a mustang master cyl would be pretty easy to find. I knew about the pedal pin mod and moving the pedal in the box but thanks for the reminder buddy. I'm assuming I can use my stock pedal pushrod or would I need to find the 84 master cyl that comes with a pushrod? one more thing too.....is the 84 mustang manual brake master cyl aluminum bodied or cast? I'd like to go aluminum if possible???
Thanks guys!

#9 ·
I used a MC from a mid 80's ranger with manual brakes...and the adapter plate.
Did it with stock drums and 87-93 front brakes...worked very well. Now i'm using it with aerospace fronts and it works well there too.

I didn't do the pedal mod

#10 ·
Yes correct you were the one who supplies all the good info on the corral about manual brake swaps....thanks btw....I'm just having a bit of trouble locating the parts up here...I'm gonna try to find one for a mustang...see what happens.
Since your still using the setup and you would know.....is your master cyl cast heavy shit or aluminum? Thanks again guys

#11 ·
So been checking shit out online and apparently 79-86 mustangs came with either manual or power assisted brakes and have a 21mm bore master cyl...never knew all these years could have manual brakes....and also...just for my own knoledge what's the difference between a power assisted and manual master cyl?

#18 ·
I'm looking into the manual swap as well, but I'd like to use the more modern style aluminum master cylinder with the plastic reservoir. I know someone that used the older style like is pictured above and has had a lot of trouble with it, especially leaking and pushing fluid out around the cap. Are the ranger ones the newer style master cylinders?

#20 ·
I have a rear disc conversion from ssbc, can I use either the ranger or 79 mc? Or do I need a proportion valve as well?

#23 ·
Ok so I looked up the firewall plate on upr's website and ended up finding a complete manual master cyl kit with firewall plate, master cyl, and a pushrod. Interesting cause a couple months ago I could have sworn it was not on there site. Anyways.....mission completed....thanks for the help yb

#26 ·
Well we just did the swap with the upr kit # 3008-h-87 and its hard as hell to stop on a 90 mustang, and you cant move that rod up maybe an inch thats it , i just called them and they said their kit is used without a proportion valve, and you don't have to relocate the pedal pushrod, this car i put in a wilwood proportion valve and no matter where we have it adjusted its hard to stop and hard to hold in the water box, any ideas ?

#39 ·
Napa doesn't carry it, they don't even cross over to the number I gave them.

I just got off the phone with rock auto, the guy says the part number I gave him does come with a rod and plastic reservoir. I'm going to order it, and make sure that it does actually bolt up.

#40 ·
I have the complete skinny kid's kit with strange pro race on all four corners. I know the brakes are not what you are looking for but his MC kit is great and I would recomend anyday.

#41 ·
This is mine using the mid 90's ranger master cylinder, it is very difficult to find! I'm also the one that posted the part numbers on Corral.net under the username "hotrodder"

#42 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.