Yellow Bullet Forums banner

any kayak fishers out there ? look at this thing from old town ..i want one PREDATOR

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  superchargedv8 
#1 ·
i have never owned a kayak , but have seen the videos and saw it in person looks awesome , and you can stand up to boot .

was wondering anyone own one or tried one ?

and stability

#4 ·
I just bought a Perception Sport Pescador 12.0 (cheap, entry level boat) a couple weeks ago. I haven't fished out of it yet, but I chose this kayak so I could in the future. So far I have just paddled around the lake, floated rivers, paddled creeks, etc. I am amazed at how stable it is and very comfortable as well. I have spent 3 hours straight in it without issue. 3 mph is my average speed on flat water, with moderate amount of work.

Its a relaxing way to watch the sun set also:

#7 ·
I love them. Most of my fishing is done in the hills where the rivers have rapids, so a large boat really isn't an option. I was using a 13.5' Coleman Canadian, but I wasn't really happy with it. Too tippy. Got myself a 4.2 meter kayak and never looked back. Ended up buying a 3.6 meter one for my daughter as well. I've never tried to stand up in the 3.6m, but I have in the 4.2. It is unbelievably stable. The shape of the hull and being a little bit wider across than most kayaks helps I think. It's almost 3' across.

Kayaks are much easier to load up onto the back of my ute too. They are the ticket if you fish alone.

The ones I use are made in Australia, so that's not much help, but a couple of guys I know use Hobie kayaks. The ones that have the foot pedals are awesome for moving around and still having both hands free to fish, as well as trolling obviously. If the Old Town ones are on par price wise with the same type in the Hobie range, I'd seriously be looking at the Hobie with the paddle drive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.