Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Fillet knive

7K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  stankfanger 
#1 ·
What kind of knife do you use?
I like Forschner.

#2 ·
I've cleaned tons of fish with the old wooden handled fish-n-fillet knives..

#4 ·
I use a electric knife .. Cleaned 4 5gal buckets of perch and blue gill with one worked great . Also used a reg fillet knife on smaller cleanings or for very efficient meat removal . Hope this helps
Dave

#6 ·
Spot on, when we go pan fishing there isn't anyway I'm cleaning 100-300 fish (help clean) for our group by hand, we all plug in the electric knives and shit gets done in no time flat...cant remember the last time I used a hand knife for anything other than doing northern, and that's only because they have huuge slabs of meat and a Y bone you have to remove.

#7 ·
Waste and quality is the reason for using a good filet knife. You will never see a deckhand or fish mongher use an electric knife. Anyone who fish's For a living or that makes a living selling fish will always use a high quality filet knife.
Those Rapala knifes are hillarious! They've got the job done on fish and fishermans fingers for years.

#10 ·
Waste and quality is the reason for using a good filet knife. You will never see a deckhand or fish mongher use an electric knife. Anyone who fish's For a living or that makes a living selling fish will always use a high quality filet knife.
Those Rapala knifes are hillarious! They've got the job done on fish and fishermans fingers for years.
LOL, great for the pro's, but I'm just an average joe; so when I'm confronted with a bucket full of crappie/bluegill, I could give two shits about losing a little meat here and there so long as I'm not standing over that stupid table, smelling rotten fish gut any longer than I have to. If they made a fricken chain saw chain with a fine tooth cut, I'd use that sumbitch LOL

#22 ·
I too agree with the electric fillet knife. 80% of teh fish i clean are largemouth bass and it worked great for them. Yeah, you lose a little of the rib meat, but it's not that big of a deal..

#23 · (Edited)
I used the old rapala filet knife for years and years.

I fought the urge to go to the electric filet knife for a long time, maybe I'm just getting older and lazier but I can tell you this, I'm not fucked up in the least bit about missing a potato chip size piece of meat now.

I had been using a old hamilton beach but recently upgraded to this little jewel from Berkley, I must say it's the cat meow, it works like a champ on them big slab crappie I've been nailing at the lake here lately.

#26 ·
After reading this thread the last week or so...I thought I'de try a hand knife (havn't used one in years). My Grandson and I had 5 crappie, 5 BIG bluegills and one 13"-14" bass. Was'nt real bad (no more than we had), but I knew real quick why I use electric knife.....so much quicker for me.

#29 ·
I use Dexter Russell knives. One for fileting, one that flexes for skinning. The trick is, don't take them on the boat!!! Leave them at home and only use them to filet, don't let anyone use them to get mono, braid line, bait or whatever the phuck they can to damage the knife, because they will. I use the same v-sharpener (Warthog) every time for the exact same degree for the edge and they have lasted forever... Personal preference for flex, width and length of the blade. I clean a bunch of big fish and have learned to over the years to be pretty quick and not leave a bunch of meat.

#30 ·
Never heard of Dexter Russell, I'll check them out. I'm always looking for another knife. I'd like to find a switchblade fillet knife but that might be too much to ask for.

#31 ·
At one time Gerber imported Fiskars fillet knives with a pseudo Gator grip handle marked Finland. Great fillet knife. I bought mine from the PX at Camp Lejeune in about 1995 and have used it since then and never thought I needed anything else.... Good flex, holds a good edge and is easy to touch up when needed. Every one that has ever used it tries to steal it from me.

The newer versions are of course made in China... typical junk.
Will

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.