Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Bass rod recommendation

4K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  MPM IV 
#1 ·
I just ordered an Abu Garcia Silver Max bait cast reel. Never had one and want to play with it. I am wondering what rod would be a good match? I kayak fish a lot so the length may be a concern

Looking for around a hundred bucks or less

#4 · (Edited)
7'-7'4" med.heavy allstar flipping rod.I have one and throw anything from Carolina rigs to crankbaits with it. I also use an Abu silvermax on a Skeet Reese worm/jig rod 7' medium and throw mostly Texas rigged worms and spinner baits on it. I like the flipping switch on the silvermax. Leave it off to make long casts or flip it on to flip into grass and heavy cover. My other reels are mostly Abu promax 7:1's.'
Yak fishing is not a lot different than boat fishing. A lot of yak fisherman around here use rods from 6'6"-7'6" and mostly bait specific. I would say a good all around rod would be a 7' med.hvy with fast action.

#6 · (Edited)
Fished offshore for the last 8 years and I didn't have a rod that cost over a hundred dollars but one. Wanted to say I had ONE but it won't needed. Could not agree with you more.

Local talant. I think your going to hate that bait casting reel out of a kayak but its just my views.
Bait casting is for standing up swinging more sideways or actually lower. Your going to be throwing that thing over top of your head full time sitting in a kayak.
Just made the move from offshore back to the TR21x Triton BB and I had some old bait casting reels I almost gave away on e bay. Went totally with open face spinning rods. Just a lot easier to use and I don't have to play the bass pro game to fish...:-D
If kayak fishing is what your going to be doing its just my views you'd be a lot happier with spinning gear than a bate caster.

#10 ·
If you are just looking for a general purpose kind of do all rod for your new baitcaster, I'd say go with a 6'6" medium heavy fast action rod. It will do a lot of things well. You can throw crankbaits, spinner baits, texas rigged worms, jigs and buzz baits. It the less than $100 price range, you might looks at the Abu Garcia Vendetta2, Wright & McGill Skeet Tessera Casting Rods or the Powell Diesel Casting Rods. I hear good things about all of them. I am a big fan of the Powell rods but I use the Powell Max line that runs in the $160 range. I love quality equipment and there is probably not a setup on the deck of my boat that costs less than $400...

#14 ·
My kayak rod is a 5'4" 6-10lb Samaki Zing with a Daiwa Pixy baitcaster. It's a great little rod. Not expensive either. When doing a river trips going over rapids and such, you don't want an expensive rod in case you come out and snap it.

I don't know if they are available in the US. All the sites that come up when I Googled it were Australian.

Either way, that length is perfect for kayak fishing.

#15 ·
Price reflects quality on most rods & reels. Also the more expensive set ups tend to be lighter, & the lighter they are the better for sensitivity & also ease of use. You can also fish longer with less fatigue. Bass pro shops has a good line of carbon lite rods for around $100 that are real nice. I have several myself & love them.

#18 ·
G. Loomis makes great rods, but after breaking 2 on hooksets (and spending $55 each time to get them replaced) I finally figured the total cost of $460 was too expensive to keep breaking.

I mostly fish St. Croix rods now. From 7' ultralight to 7' flipping sticks. The St. Croix Mojo Rod in a 6'6" med/hvy is a good all around rod that won't break the bank imo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.