Yellow Bullet Forums banner

built a small pond in the front yard

79K views 363 replies 81 participants last post by  G-Code 
#1 ·
OK, its the front 40 acres, but anyway...
It will be about 4+ acres when full. The deepest part of the bowl is a hair over 10 foot deep. That should be good for around here. It has an island:). I still have to move logs in and build a few things up with the dozer (structure). Hopefully I can get it done before any big rains come. It will be fully stocked with Florida Hybrid bass, channel cats, blue cats, bait fish, etc.
Yes, you can fishing, but you have to buy the beer:cool:

a look from the top of the hill

the cows must be hot. They are under the tree off to the left. The water will back up to the road and actually past it. I hope I don't drink too much one night and drive off my road and drown. Maybe Teddy Kennedy can give me some pointers.

water will be about 6" above that 4 foot pipe, which will make that channel about 5.5 foot deep

cow is thirsty. The new tank level will be about 5.5foot above that water level, which is 1.5 foot deep in the deepest part, so the tank will be 7 foot deep there.

looking back towards the damn and "bowl"

looking into the bowl

from the damn to the road is about 150 yards long

this is from the bottom of the bowl. That is the island in the pic

from the other side

another tank of mine. This one's a little low, but is about 1/3 acres when full. It is stocked with channel cats only.

See less See more
#196 ·
a few more

#197 ·
Looks like it has been working out for you. Good luck!!!!

#198 ·
That's a killer tank Steve. Time to get some fish back in it. You are living on a place like I have always dreamed about! Every once in a while I get to looking around for land, and my wife gets nervous. LOL. She doesn't want to move. Maybe one of these days....

#199 · (Edited)
Kimble county is where I would love to have a big acreage place.............400 plus.

I know the place too! I could have had it now IF I have just married this little German girl when I was about 19.:smt119:smt119

It had the llano river running with in a REAL stones throw behind the ranch house.

Sad thing was that it was goood pussy too.

#201 ·
in about 3 years when the fshys are big enough. I just ordered $350 in minnows and perch. I will also trap a few hundred perch from other tanks and put them in there. Then the Florida hybrid bass will be put in next year.

#204 ·
SHE'S FUUULLLLL!!!!!!!!

I will try and get pics this afternoon.

#206 ·
My wife just texted me some pics. I flooded half my pasture, LOL!

#209 ·
The cows are probably thinkng, WTF???

LOL

#212 ·
Awesome! I checked in because it has been raining here since last night, and I thought you had to be getting some good rain down there.

#213 ·
Well, now that it is full I can mark the final water levels and build up any low places. I will finish the pier, plant trees and disk it all smooth.

view of the dam. I still got 3+ foot of dirt, so I can build up..;)

here are my peninsula's I need to build them up about a foot and widen them. I will also finish the pier/bridge this Summer.

here is another peninsula I built for casting to the island. I will widen and build it up a bit too.

here is a look at the channel going back towards the North/road. It is a good 6' deep and probably 35 yards wide.

A view from the peninsulas looking towards the islands. There is a channel between the two islands about 3 foot deep..

A view of my road as I drive into my place. The left hand side is teh current tank. teh righ hand side will be my future expansion... a long narrow piece (~1 acre total)

Looking from the channel towards the road. Notice the pipe. I guess I measured wrong. I thought it would be to the top of the pipe. I will build up and get it there SOMEDAY, LOL!

A closer pic of the peninsulas... Notice the cut in between the islands..

I am standing on the road at the pipe/culvert looking down over the whole tank. Notice the cut between the islands in the distance..

A further back pic of the dam and islands.

here is a good example of what I need to "fix". I had to build up the sides so that I did not flood my whole pasture. I basically built up the "shore". To the left is the tank and to the right is water that runs down the hill and has no where to go. This will all be addressed as I get time...

this is a view from the road (at the culvert/pipe) looking North. This is the "future" side. I will dig something, someday, LOL. The trees in the distance (about 200 yards away) will be the end of the tank...the neighbor's property starts about 50 yards past that.

#216 ·
I will not coment very much as I do not want to highjack but I will suggest you find a fresh fish supplier and buy several WHITE/ALBINO catfish in my neck they are some times avabale for about 2.00 per lb alive/swimming, I was lucky enough to find 8 white/blue eyed about 28-35 in long/10-12 lb AND one pure albino
not white but pink/pink eyes 18"/7-8 lb
Great show on you pond, I am sure you will enjoy
Johnny

#218 ·
We finally get to see it full, was begining to think it would never rain enough to do that!! Looks great, you did a bitchin job!

#220 ·
I staked all the water levels this evening. I got about another 10 hours worth of dirt work...

then another day on the bridge.

Then a day of tree planting.

and another day of grass planting.

.. that's gonna be a lot of beer! LOL!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.