Yellow Bullet Forums banner

built a small pond in the front yard

79K views 363 replies 81 participants last post by  G-Code 
#1 ·
OK, its the front 40 acres, but anyway...
It will be about 4+ acres when full. The deepest part of the bowl is a hair over 10 foot deep. That should be good for around here. It has an island:). I still have to move logs in and build a few things up with the dozer (structure). Hopefully I can get it done before any big rains come. It will be fully stocked with Florida Hybrid bass, channel cats, blue cats, bait fish, etc.
Yes, you can fishing, but you have to buy the beer:cool:

a look from the top of the hill

the cows must be hot. They are under the tree off to the left. The water will back up to the road and actually past it. I hope I don't drink too much one night and drive off my road and drown. Maybe Teddy Kennedy can give me some pointers.

water will be about 6" above that 4 foot pipe, which will make that channel about 5.5 foot deep

cow is thirsty. The new tank level will be about 5.5foot above that water level, which is 1.5 foot deep in the deepest part, so the tank will be 7 foot deep there.

looking back towards the damn and "bowl"

looking into the bowl

from the damn to the road is about 150 yards long

this is from the bottom of the bowl. That is the island in the pic

from the other side

another tank of mine. This one's a little low, but is about 1/3 acres when full. It is stocked with channel cats only.

See less See more
#161 ·
I need it to fill up, then I can work on the final touches, especially smoothing all the bank dirt and planting trees and grass. I will look a lot different, dirt wise when it is full..

#163 ·
No. :(

#165 ·
oh, we got some good rain for the grass and ground, but no big rains to fill tanks. It has about 3-4 foot of water in the bowl right now.

#167 ·
Got some rain overnight. It is still flowing pretty good, so it will fill even more, but here are some pics my wife sent me from the house. I was watching the radar and we did not get as much rain as some got. It looks like not even 5 miles away got A LOT more rain!:( :smt093

upstream, flowing in.

downstream. It does not look like much yet, but it had to fill up all of the 12' deep bowl and then it started backing up to the road here.

#170 ·
damn, I'd guess we got ~2" and some nearby places got 3-4..

#172 ·
there is about 326000 gallons in an acre-foot. This tank is about 3.5 acres.

3.5 x 326000 = 1,141,000 gallons

say I got a pump to pump 10 gpm, that pump would run for 114,100 minutes (approximately 80 days) just to pump the water to fill it 1 foot. That does not even start to deal with the evaporation part of it, or the fact that it is should be ten foot deep.

a windmill won't work either.

#174 ·
At ~11 foot deep, it should be good to go. A traditional "bad" year will drop it dow to about 5-6' deep. A very bad year like last year should still leave me 3-4' of water.

#176 ·
I'll have pics this evening. It is the fullest it has ever been, but is still ~3.5 foot low. :(

#179 ·

the posts for the pier that I started. It will connect the two peninsulas

looking from the top of the dam towards the spillway.

standing by spillway looking towards islands

that bar of dirt on the left will be under about 2' of water when it is full

the water line will come up to the very top (almost) of this bank.

view from dam looking at the "bowl"

all those mounds of dirt will be under about 1-2' of water.

further back looking at the peninsulas and future pier

looking towards the road from peninsula. The water will be to the top of the 4' pipe when full, so it is still 4.5' low..

my pup was excited. Two mallards flew off when we drove up.

how did that get there? I have no idea :p

My pup belle loves it...

shes asking "when can we hunt..?"

more structure for bass. this is from the East side. To the left is yet another small peninsula.

#183 ·
A tank can "turn over" at any time. There is nothing you can do to stop it. I heard that airerating the water may help.

#187 ·
The water stratifies sometimes and low levels of oxygen ends up on the bottom bottom and regular water is on top. For some reason they sometimes flip and all th elow oxygen water is on the top (where the fish live) an it kills them.

It is a horrible sight to walk up to a good bass tank and see thousands of fish floating and hundreds of buzzards munching down...

#188 ·
The water stratifies sometimes and low levels of oxygen ends up on the bottom bottom and regular water is on top. For some reason they sometimes flip and all th elow oxygen water is on the top (where the fish live) an it kills them.

It is a horrible sight to walk up to a good bass tank and see thousands of fish floating and hundreds of buzzards munching down...
This happened to my dad's pond on his farm a few years ago....... he had it dug out and it seems to be doing fine now, but then again it hasnt been restocked yet either..... the flip or turn didn't kill the turtles though....

#189 ·
It caught about 1/2 a foot in the last two days. ~3.5 foot to go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#192 ·

BEAUTIFUL DOG

That's my GSP named belle. She is going to be my bird dog and is already my 3.5 year old daughter's buddy. :)

#193 ·
the tank caught about 8" since last week. I will have pics shortly...!!!!!!!

#194 ·
This is the pipe at the road. It is a 4 foot culvert. 2 days ago the water line was barely at the bottom of the culvert. It gained ~6" today. :cool:

this is a pic looking down my road. I will cross this everyday!

this is the spillway. When it is 100% full, the water will overcome this and flow to my other tank.

another pic of my bridge/pier (my pup seems to like it!)

Where Belle is standing... will be under about 18" of water... YES, I did move the hoses..

2 mallards tried to land as it was getting dark..:cool:

if you look closely, you can see headlights coming over the road/culvert.... That is over 200 yards away!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.