Yellow Bullet Forums banner

built a small pond in the front yard

79K views 363 replies 81 participants last post by  G-Code 
#1 ·
OK, its the front 40 acres, but anyway...
It will be about 4+ acres when full. The deepest part of the bowl is a hair over 10 foot deep. That should be good for around here. It has an island:). I still have to move logs in and build a few things up with the dozer (structure). Hopefully I can get it done before any big rains come. It will be fully stocked with Florida Hybrid bass, channel cats, blue cats, bait fish, etc.
Yes, you can fishing, but you have to buy the beer:cool:

a look from the top of the hill

the cows must be hot. They are under the tree off to the left. The water will back up to the road and actually past it. I hope I don't drink too much one night and drive off my road and drown. Maybe Teddy Kennedy can give me some pointers.

water will be about 6" above that 4 foot pipe, which will make that channel about 5.5 foot deep

cow is thirsty. The new tank level will be about 5.5foot above that water level, which is 1.5 foot deep in the deepest part, so the tank will be 7 foot deep there.

looking back towards the damn and "bowl"

looking into the bowl

from the damn to the road is about 150 yards long

this is from the bottom of the bowl. That is the island in the pic

from the other side

another tank of mine. This one's a little low, but is about 1/3 acres when full. It is stocked with channel cats only.

See less See more
#122 ·
What I'm making is a bass catching, duck killing, kid's fishing, beer drinking and friend's swimming paradise.

#124 ·
Yesterday was the first measurable rain we have had in 6 months. We got about 2/10ths of an inch, or in other words, just enough to knock the dust down. :(

#130 ·
No kidding!

here is how she sits now. I am not phucking with it anymore, except maybe a pier..

Tha's my 1 ton 4x4 dodge down there :p

#131 ·
Dodge huh? Hmm..........:p

#132 ·
my first and last...

everyone is allowed at least one mistake, eh?

#140 ·
IT'S RAINING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd guess we got a good two inches of SLOW rain. Just what we needed. It won't do much for the tank, but it will help keep my cars from starving to death and keep the trees alive. I have had at least twenty, 75-100 year old oak trees die on my place in the last few months. I count 8 within 100 yards of my house. At this rate, it will be a desert here in 10 years..

#142 ·
nope, that last rain helped the grass, but the pond only caught about 6-8" of water. It has about 5" left in it right. Weatherman said it was going to be a dry winter too.. :(

#145 ·
got about 2.5 inches this last week. The tank has about 3 foot in it.

#147 ·
the bowl will be about 10.5-11 foot deep when it is full. If that EVER happens :(

#149 ·
the clay was there naturally, and yes it is in place. This one will be about 4.5 -5 acres when complete.

#152 ·
hey skos...any update on the pond? we been getting rain pretty regular here west of austin, hope youre getting the same or more;)

#153 ·
Been getting some good slow rain, but not enough for runoff. It is the perfect type of rain fir the ground, but not too good for filling up a tank.

#154 ·
any updated pictures? Im excited to see this lake complete :D

#155 ·
It is about 2 foot lower than some of those other pics. Believe me, I can't wait to see it full either..

#156 ·
but at least were getting rain finally...I too look forward to seeing the pond full...its gonna be killer!

#157 ·
got a little rain.... IT STILL NEEDS ABOUT 6 FOOT OF WATER!!

this is the pier I worked on all day yesterday. It is sad how slooooow it goes when you have to work by yourself. 15' of PIPE (times 4), one tractor, one semi-drunk dude in 1 foot of water trying to drill/lift/set/move A LOT of pipe...

and I STILL NEED 6 FOOT+++ OF WATER!!!

#158 ·
I was a bit worried about welding while standing in water and the leads were in water. My leads are old and the insulation is cracked and missing in places. I'm not sure if it could shock me or not??

At least I'm not fish food right now, LOL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.