Yellow Bullet Forums banner

built a small pond in the front yard

79K views 363 replies 81 participants last post by  G-Code 
#1 ·
OK, its the front 40 acres, but anyway...
It will be about 4+ acres when full. The deepest part of the bowl is a hair over 10 foot deep. That should be good for around here. It has an island:). I still have to move logs in and build a few things up with the dozer (structure). Hopefully I can get it done before any big rains come. It will be fully stocked with Florida Hybrid bass, channel cats, blue cats, bait fish, etc.
Yes, you can fishing, but you have to buy the beer:cool:

a look from the top of the hill

the cows must be hot. They are under the tree off to the left. The water will back up to the road and actually past it. I hope I don't drink too much one night and drive off my road and drown. Maybe Teddy Kennedy can give me some pointers.

water will be about 6" above that 4 foot pipe, which will make that channel about 5.5 foot deep

cow is thirsty. The new tank level will be about 5.5foot above that water level, which is 1.5 foot deep in the deepest part, so the tank will be 7 foot deep there.

looking back towards the damn and "bowl"

looking into the bowl

from the damn to the road is about 150 yards long

this is from the bottom of the bowl. That is the island in the pic

from the other side

another tank of mine. This one's a little low, but is about 1/3 acres when full. It is stocked with channel cats only.

See less See more
#3 ·
Looks good. What are plans to minimize erosion? We didnt plan that far and we basically silted in the first time. We rebuilt with rip-rap on steep levees and layed sod on the gradual slopes. The feeder stream was rebuilt and planted which slowed erosion and cut down the silting, We also planted Japanese Millet before the refill to help the bottom and also it grew some duck food to try and get them using it regularly. Pull a soil sample and send it to the extension service and they will help you with an initial fertility plan to help get started. The game and fish there may help also. Check with your local NRCS and there may be some government programs available to help with cost and associated spending. Keep up the good work.

#5 ·
I was hoping to dig a few terraces with trenches in front of them a little up stream of the bowl. This would provide a place for the silt to accumulate and not get washed into the deep end. I just hope I have time before it rains.

#11 ·
I have about 160 acres, so ~4 acres does not take away too much grazing land.

#13 ·
updated pics. Did a lot more work with the dozer. Built a couple small peninsulas, drug some big trees in for structure.

Good chance of rain tomorrow. Maybe it will catch water, or fill up.

#256 ·
This is just awesome. growing up in ny city, we didnt see this kind personal space until we would go upstate to my uncles near hunter mountain.
what we did have was water though, lots of it since we are near the ocean.
i wanted to ask anyone, what needs to be done to the area dug up to make a pond that will hold water? is it fed by a stream? if there's no stream will it hold water? reason i ask, is i have a piece of land, tiny in comparison and want to build a new shop there. its kind of wet, being fed by runoff from all the properties behind it. we wanted to direct the water into a pond to one side of the property and build on the other.

any assistance on what is needed would be very helpful

#14 · (Edited)
You realize you're making it hard to like you don't you :p

Very nice "pond" you're building. Someday I hope to do just a very little fishing pond on our property just 150' x 70' would be good.

Did you do all that grading with that little dozer ? Wow that takes some time. Don't trees float ?

G-

Jon :eek:

#16 ·
looks killer man, im jealous!!

#18 ·
The thought went through my head, that you either started with a very very big hole in the ground or you're doing some "touch-up" work with that little guy.

Great looking pond, that is going to be killer. How long to you think it will take you to get it stocked? And for something like that do you buy the fish by the pound to stock it or do it with friends fishing to help out?

G-

#22 ·
Yes, they are technically called tanks. A pond is a naturally occuring body of water and a tank is a man made body of water. I was just trying to put it in yankee terms so everyone knew what I was talking about.
:)

#24 ·
caught about 5 foot of water so far. Here are some pics from yesterday.

#26 ·
pics are looking good man!!

#28 ·
Update: So hows the pond coming ?

G

its been dry, so I have continued to dig. I haev a 130 horse tractor and a 7 yard dirt scraper. I moved about 100 loads this weekend.

I will try and get some new pics. Lots of drop offs, mounds, trenches, trees/stumps, and 3 peninsulas. Some parts that were only 3 foot deep are now 5...

#29 ·
My brother and I just started helping out a buddy who is digging a pond on his new property, I got to drive a skid loader for the first time alst weekend and what a blast that was, we will be starting on the scraper and bulldozer this coming weekend.. Its like playing in a big sand box! He owns his own architcture business so has 4 of his own skid loaders out there, 2 bulldozers, a scraper, excavator and all kinds of toys on top of that.. Its intimidating learning sooo many new types of equipment so fast but I like it, supposed to be 10-15 acres when finished and 30 or so feet deep with a few deep holes and shallow spots. Your project looks like alot of fun too, might need a jet-ski to fly around that place!! Im jealous

#32 ·
My brother and I just started helping out a buddy who is digging a pond on his new property, I got to drive a skid loader for the first time alst weekend and what a blast that was, we will be starting on the scraper and bulldozer this coming weekend.. Its like playing in a big sand box! He owns his own architcture business so has 4 of his own skid loaders out there, 2 bulldozers, a scraper, excavator and all kinds of toys on top of that.. Its intimidating learning sooo many new types of equipment so fast but I like it, supposed to be 10-15 acres when finished and 30 or so feet deep with a few deep holes and shallow spots. Your project looks like alot of fun too, might need a jet-ski to fly around that place!! Im jealous

oh, I love it. I got my own small dozer, and I rented a bigger one once.

I would love to run a D7 or something like that. It would be FUN!

#31 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.