Yellow Bullet Forums banner

what's your all time great golden and brook trout bait?

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  cam- 
#1 ·
what do you use when nothing else works?
mine has always been 1 1/4 inch shinners

#3 ·
My if all else fails trout bait too.
I just dump them in a baggie with some salt and put 'em in my vest pocket.
The salt keeps 'em from getting messy. Nice and compact.

#4 ·
I've never caught a golden, but i've caught a few brookies. My go to "bait" is a tiny Mepps or Panther Martin spinner with a small Berkley Gulp emerald shiner attached to one of the trebles. On a good day I will hook 30 fish and land 20 or so.

#8 ·
The absolute best brook trout bait is eyeballs. Catch the first brookie and press under his eyeball to pop it out, pass the hook thru the center of the eye and the fluid will stay in. Do a double barrell roll up under that oak tree in the curve and you'll get hammered. It looks odd at the end of a day with a mess of brookies with no eyes but talk about the best eatin! them things curled up in a buttered skillet is priceless!
I remember fishing with Dad and Uncle Pete, we'd paddle up Carrie Brook fishing on our way up until we couldn't go any further and build a fire to cook up the fish we'd caught. Brookies in on old black skillet with butter over and open fire is incredible. On the way back down is the ones we'd catch and bring home. The limit was a dozen, all native - there weren't any such thing as a 'hatchery' back then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.