Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Octane

14K views 194 replies 26 participants last post by  yeti 
#1 ·
I have a 357w that is 13.5 to 1. Is 110 enough octane for motor? and when i use nitrous is it enough also?

#99 ·
It's cool Jeff. :cool:

billyman, you sure you build engines???? the higher the octane number the harder it is to burn........................... harder to light................... thats why it doesn't preignite in the cylinder, it's harder to burn/light.... BTW GO TO THE ROD THREAD AND READ IT you are wrong there also..
Detonation and pre-ignition are two completely different things Ed Jeff.

#43 ·
Wonder why my VP rep. said to run a min. of C14 :confused:
You would think they no what they are doing.

Someone show up with $15K & I'll run VP-110 if the engine blows up you had me the $15K to buy a new engine
i will take this.... and when i put vp110 init and tune it right and it runs the best e.t to date i get the engine right..... it has to be something in it for me to put your foot in your mouth.....

#44 ·
Now that's funny, I've been tuning & racing engines since '87.
That's 4 years longer than you. LMAO!!! Show up with 15K & I'll do it, but for now NOT a chance in hell will I run VP-110. Also the people I mentioned said you don't know what you are talking about. For all we know you could just be some fake net guru.
I only take peoples advice on the phone or in person anyway. YB is just a place to run your mouth.

#48 · (Edited)
your didn't know a piston from a spark plug 5month ago dude lmfoa... here a little link for you,SENCE YOU like them so much you remind me of pigley.... this engine make WAY MORE POWER THEN YOUR AND HAS .5 MORE COMP.. GO TO THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE OLD MAN AND READ VP110 IN A 14 TO 1 ENGINE WITH MORE POWEE.... WITH THAT SAID SHOULD I KEEP POSTING MORE AND MORE AND MORE PEOPLE THAT BUILD SHIT THAT USE VP110 IN A SHIT BRACKET MOTOR WITH 13.5........................

#50 ·
did you read the the link above lol.14 TO 1 IN A SBC MAKING WHY MORE POWER THEN YOU USING VP110... btw i think you need to reread this thread as to WHO is running what........... if you have the balls please post all these guy saying i'm wrong... and racing for 50yrs doesn't mean you can tune a lawn tractor..... i can show YOU everY big time builder across this country only using 110 in a 23* headed sbc WITH 13.5....

#64 ·
did you read the the link above lol.14 TO 1 IN A SBC MAKING WHY MORE POWER THEN YOU USING VP110... btw i think you need to reread this thread as to WHO is running what........... if you have the balls please post all these guy saying i'm wrong... and racing for 50yrs doesn't mean you can tune a lawn tractor..... i can show YOU everY big time builder across this country only using 110 in a 23* headed sbc WITH 13.5....
& I gave you 1 of there number to call & you now back out, what a pussy.

#51 ·
WE CAN GET REALLY FUNNY HERE, i can go back 5 month when you couldn't find the dipstick no longer build something.. tell me how you didn't know chit and in 5month of asking some of the most basic question became a expert???????????

#52 · (Edited)
hmmmm! i just reread the whole post 434, steve mcdee 14.7 to 1 on 112, proshot 110, me 110, jmark 110 would be fine, jeff mc it would be fine, rcm engines 112 is more then enough, j shekton vp110, 69rs runs 112 but will try 110... where are these gentlemen 434 that say i'm wrong???????????? what you don't see here in any of these guys is 114 why because it WAY TO MUCH...............BTW I HAVE BEEN RACING FROM 84..

#53 ·
OK got a call from Greg, to put this to rest I was there when he made the 10.42 pass on 5 gal. of C16 that I sold him.
He thought it was to much octane so he added 10 gal. of 110 to his 5 gal. of C16, that comes to 112 octane.
He has never went faster with the 112 gas that is still in his car now. the best he has gone since then was a 10.67.
Also another guy which is on YB was there when he made the 10.67 pass. Not going to give out names, if they read this then it's up to them to reply.
You just need to ignore these guys, you don't even know them. Talk to you later.

Tim

#54 · (Edited)
hey tim you hear any knocking coming from that engine on 112? the point to this whole thread is the o.p asked about octane to run. vp110 will run the o.p car as well as 434 car easy.. i have done it 100's of time, i would tell someone to blow there shit up.. i run a bbc with 14.1 on vp110 and the last 430sbc with 14.3 on it that made atleast 100 more hp then engine it will be fine... agian it's his money to waste and he can waste it. but don't come here tell guys with over 20yr building race engine it's the wrong fuel....

#56 ·
why would i call someone for something i have already done 100s of times??????????? that kinda dumb lol but well your playing the you don't have any answer and use others for them. call awsome engine they run 14 to 1 on vp110 302-524-9866 well you at it call reher there 14+ sbc run on nothing more then 112.... never 114 on anything....

#57 ·
I don't understand how you guys can mix fuels and not make any other changes and say that the fuel hurt the power and slowed the car down,timing and jetting changes are usually needed to optimize the combo when you do shit like that. Further more,how can you start testing different things with an inadequate fuel system and think you are going to see results. Did Shafiroff also tell you what plugs and timing to run with that 114 and was that with the combo they sold you or what you changed it to ?

#59 ·
I don't understand how you guys can mix fuels and not make any other changes and say that the fuel hurt the power and slowed the car down,timing and jetting changes are usually needed to optimize the combo when you do shit like that. Further more,how can you start testing different things with an inadequate fuel system and think you are going to see results. Did Shafiroff also tell you what plugs and timing to run with that 114 and was that with the combo they sold you or what you changed it to
here the kicker. read some of his post from 5-6month ago and you will see why and get your answers....

#61 ·
don't know maybe because his builder that told him to run 114 said so????? or maybe because the 20+yrs of racing made him do it???? or maybe he's smarter then the avg bear??? well i have to go get the 12.8 to 1 bbc that runs on 94 unleaded gas going for a race tonight lololol.... i do put 2 gals of 110 in it for some lead...

#68 ·
first i wouldn't call them to build a tractor engine 2nd who gives a shit about 1 GUY THAT's WRONG WHEN 50 OTHER RUN 110 3rd i posted in black and white easy to read link to guys running 14 to 1 with vp110.. why waste a phone call or shaftoff times..

#72 · (Edited)
428ci 760HP SBC Pro Bracket Race Engine

News Worth Reading: We switched the 700+Hp 4.000 & 4.125″ stroked engines to the new PBM by Merlin race block. Now standard w/.134″ raised 50mm 1.100″ cam core. No tiny .850 or .900″ base circle cams w/notched rods to break, bushed 842″ lifter bores & ½” main studs. The first race engine picked up 25HP. Own a racing engine with big cams, more nose area, shorter push rods and a .904″ ava lifter. There is no comparison in other racing engines using a little cam. (110710)​
$12,975.00

4.125″ Bore | 4.000″ Stroke | 6.000″ Rod | 760Hp @ 7200 rpm
Bold Black Listed Components are not Included in Competitors Racing Engines

• PBM by MERLIN 50mm Raised Cam Splayed Cap Block
  • Scat / Eagle 4340 Internally Balanced Steel Crank
  • Scat / Eagle 4340 6.000″ H-Beam Rods w/ARP Bolts
  • Mahle 14:1 Forged Pistons
  • 1.5/1.5/3.0mm Plasma Moly Ring Set
  • King “H” Series Racing Main & Rod Bearings
  • Solid Polished Aluminum Timing Cover
  • Moroso Oil Pump Kit with Tig Welded Pickup Assembly
  • Moroso #20195 7 qt. Race Kick Out Oil Pan
  • SFI 6¼” Internally Balanced Damper
  • MSD 8489 Distributor, Wires & NGK Plugs
  • Stainless Steel or Brass Freeze Plugs
  • ARC T-Shirt, Brodix & PBM Hat, 48 Free Freight
  • Brodix Track 1 STS 233 Fully CNC Ported Heads
  • Brodix 2.125″ Int & 1.600″ Exh Stainless Valves
  • Brodix 1.550″ .750″ Lift Springs & Tit. Retainers
  • Fel Pro #1010 Head Gaskets
  • ARP Head Stud Kit Plate Honed w/Your Block
  • Comp Cams 50mm .750″ Lift 7/4 Billet Cam
  • Comp Cams or Morel .842″ Roller Lifters
  • Roll Master Raised Cam Billet Roller Timing Set
  • Manley .080″ Wall Push Rods
  • Comp Cams Ultra Pro Magnum Rockers & Girdle
  • Brodix HV1000 CNC Match Ported Intake
  • QFT 1000 CFM Beautiful New Carburetor
  • AERC CNC Engraved Black & Red Logo Valve Covers
Dyno Tested & Tuned • VP 110 Fuel • Moroso Vacuum Pump • MSD Crank Trigger • Jomar Spacer • 5w20 Renegade Racing Oil • HP Corrected To Sea Level

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.