Yellow Bullet Forums banner

FreakShow Performance Torque Converters

252K views 692 replies 141 participants last post by  n5ifi 
#1 ·
FreakShow Performance is finally open. Located in Abilene, Tx. They have over 25 years of experience in the aftermarket converter business. Michael is a honest, hard working, straight up guy that I've known for many years now. Just thought I would get the word out a little to help him in his new business venture. I will post some pics tonight of a couple converters.

He will set you up with anything you need from street stuff all the way to Promods. Give him a shout for more info. 325-701-7830. Make sure to tell him you saw this on yellowbullet. :p

Thanks, Josh Minzenmayer

#85 ·
do yourself a huge favor and buy a good race converter the first time or you'd be right back at the reason you're swapping to an automatic! A converter is not an item to buy based on it's cheap price and is the difference between a slug and a rocket not mention consistency.

#86 · (Edited)
this company will be gone as quick as the other 3 out of Abilene.

#88 ·
no and no. Just the lastest name of cheap converters out of albilene, that you won't find in any real competitive race cars running divisional and/or national points series. Strickly a converter for the street/strip crowd where PRICE and only PRICE is what drives the decision making process.

#89 ·
You sir, are showing you are an ignorant. If you haven't noticed, no ADRL cars are chiming in on this thread. He doesn't build to that crowd. He builds for the stock to low 5 second to high 4 second 1/8th mile crowd. But has a few higher horsepower cars too.

Most cars dont need a $1500-$5000 converter.

These guys are very happy with what they are getting and if you have ever seen one of Michael's converters inside and out you would realize that you are not getting cheap thrown together junk. He uses very high quality parts and has some of the best equipment to build them in the industry.

Nobody on here has claimed that he is in competition with UCC, NCRC, PTC, or Pro Torque. Those are all high quality companies with great reputations and I can assure you that they are not worried about a one man show from Abilene, Texas.

#90 ·
again, if CHEAP is what drives your decision making process, than make that call.;)

#91 ·
The converters work as advertised.. It does not have the exact same internals as our bolt together NC.. but I could buy three of them for the price of the NC ... I guess it all comes down to what type of car and class you are racing and balancing that with the price.. The converters are an inexpensive option that will most likely fulfill the needs of most racers.. I hope the company keeps the development up and does well.. We will keep testing and reporting the results.. We will probably put the NC back in for some further comparisons after Grudge Wars and the Noble Grudge race..

MPK

#93 ·
I'll be the first to admit that I'm cheap, but I have a limited budget so I'm forced to be cheap. I purchased one back in 06, was behind a procharged sbc and now its behind a nitrous sbc. Granted neither were real high hp engines but I did and do abuse it at the track and on the street. My car dead hooks and I haven't killed it yet. Im very pleased and as a matter of fact, will be buying another one for a bbc f-2 project. If I recall correctly, last I talked with him, his personal car runs a big inch procharged sbc at over 1k hp with no issues. Nice guy and great customer service that stands behind his product. Too each his own and maybe not for everyone, but it flat out works for me. :smt023

#94 ·
if you're happy that's all that matters. Me, I don't buy based on price and I don't use chinese junk either.

#101 · (Edited)
Again, if their price point fits your budget and your's is not a serious effort race car, make that call and hope for the best.

BTW, have a competitor/friend that years ago ran a torco converter behind his sbc in his Nova race car, raved about it for the $. Finally after about 2 years, I got him to buy an ATI converter and 1st pass off the trailer he ran best ever 60 foot by over a tenth and ET by 3 TENTHS and his reply to me afterwards was you were right all along!

#103 · (Edited)
Oh I'm right along with the countless sportsman racers in NHRA, IHRA class racing as well heads up racing.

So IF you want to buy the best converter for your $, the converter that will have your combo running optimum 60 foots, ET and MPH the first time, then call ATI.

If not, if only price is your concern and you don't mind buying 2 maybe 3 or 4 converters to achieve the above, then call the latest name in converters out of albilene.

#108 ·
please say that to my face if we ever cross paths.

#109 ·
1 year ago....

ATI's Chris Rini breaks into the 5s!!!

ATI’s Chris Rini put down a 5.988 ET at 236.4 MPH to become the 1st person in any NMCA Class to break into the fives! Chris runs an ATI Superglide 4 and an ATI Outlaw Converter, making his '69 Bickel Pro Mod Camaro the fastest nitrous True Automatic in the world! Congratulations on your record breaking run!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4vTJrHMg8k

#123 · (Edited)
there's a CLUELESS statement!:roll:

and if they were on the bottom like you think, they went right to the top of the class schooling EVERYBODY!:p

1 year ago....

ATI's Chris Rini breaks into the 5s!!!

ATI’s Chris Rini put down a 5.988 ET at 236.4 MPH to become the 1st person in any NMCA Class to break into the fives! Chris runs an ATI Superglide 4 and an ATI Outlaw Converter, making his '69 Bickel Pro Mod Camaro the fastest nitrous True Automatic in the world! Congratulations on your record breaking run!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4vTJrHMg8k

#114 ·
mikes, you read it on an internet message board so it must be true.:roll:

When you stop believing every claim on these boards and stop buying based on price alone, the issues and problems you've had over the years will be no more.

#115 ·
Ok this took a turn here. dont like it.

To start with i have seen some of the best converters cut open. I have one of the best converters built. Neal Chance was and still is on top.

But i was standing there when he cut my converter open. It was better looking then any hughs,tci,a1,coan. that i have ever seen on the inside. it has the same quality parts as my chance does. this man is a 1 man show at his shop. so over head is not that high. he has nice equipment also all new stuff.

i dont buy stuff cause its cheap. i just thought i would give him a try. i also have a radial car x275 car that is being built. that will have the same converter in it.

#117 ·
Ed, Ive gathered parts over the years and tried to follow your lead to somewhat mirror the 468 in your old chevelle. Its taken me this long to get here and now I have most everything needed including the prosystems cab you suggested.....lol. If I had anything that resembled a disposable income, I would have reached my goal and probably surpassed it years ago. I however do not and you and I both know that a Chinese 4340 internal balanced crank will live in a 700hp BBC for my application especially since I dont bracket race every weekend. Now back to the Freakshow thread....:p

#130 · (Edited)
this ain't about who's a tough guy, this is about FACTS and the TRUTH!

Now show us your shitbox!:p

Ed, Ive gathered parts over the years and tried to follow your lead to somewhat mirror the 468 in your old chevelle. Its taken me this long to get here and now I have most everything needed including the prosystems cab you suggested.....lol.
mike, as I recall, we've had minimal dialogue regarding my 468 combo. With all due respect, if you aren't following my combo EXACTLY, please don't attach my name to it.

#118 ·
if you're following my lead and build, you will NEVER achieve similar results without the ATI converter I ran!

#119 ·
There is people in here that race classes that run his stuff. i just switched over to grudge racing. i have been a 10.5 and 275 radial racer for a long time.

just remember he might have worked for the other companies but he had to build converters there way. now that he has his own he builds them the right way.he has seen the wrong way before.

let me put this a little louder for you.

IT HAS THE SAME QUALITY PARTS AS EVEYONE ONE ELSE HAS IN SIDE AND OUT OF THE CONVERTER. PRICE DONT MATTER.....ITS ALL GOOD CAUSE YOU ARE GIVING HIM GOOD ADVERTISEMENT WITH YOUR ASS KEEP POSTING ON HERE.

#120 · (Edited)
The above statement is NOT true for EVERY converter manufacturer.

ATI uses ALL NEW components manufactured in house. ATI is also the ONLY independent company IN THE WORLD that has this capabilty!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.