Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Damn 2004 F250 Diesel (6.0L) throwing Black Smoke Out the Exhaust!

10K views 61 replies 33 participants last post by  racerxmd 
#1 ·
Last few days the truck was a slow cranking up in the morning. Didn't think much about it since at the end of day at work it would fire right up. Well today same thing happened at work with slow start. But also I noticed heavy black smoke coming out the exhaust. Also, seemed to have lack of power taking off and with heavy black smoke. Once the rpms kicked in all was good. Anyone know what could cause this issue? I am thinking that the black smoke has to be unburnt fuel. So maybe issues with the fuel injectors or something?

Thanks

:SHTF:SHTF

#10 ·
EGR stuck open, FICM, fuel pressure concerns, plugged air filter...

If it was an all of a sudden thing - I would lean towards EGR sticking open.

Check for codes. If you have any EGR related codes, pull the valve and clean/replace it. Also look in the intake and make sure it's not all coked up.

If you don't have a code reader, pull the two 8mm bolts, and lift the valve out and have a look see.

If it's all carboned up/stuck open, I'd recommend removing the intake and having it cleaned at a machine shop.

#18 ·
Jesus that's a little excessive LOL.

Turn it about 45 degrees from mounting location, and put a heel bar under the mounting tab.

You can re-use them this way.

Your method is the way I used to pull them when they were warranty and they were getting replaced for sure, on Ford's dime.

#15 ·
Could be a few things. Maybe FICM.

#20 ·
Well truck has sat home for two days and the batteries are way down. Was only able to start the truck with my Jump Start. I had replaced the alternator about one yr. ago from local Advance store. Maybe my alternator is also going bad. My friend has is a mechanic is coming by tomorrow to see if we can pull some codes.

#21 ·
Well my friend came over and did his thing. The truck wouldn't start without the Jump Start connected.He 1st checked the batteries for voltage and they were down to like 7. something volts. No codes could be found. He said that they might of cleared since the volts were way down. I know I unhooked the battery cables the day before to clean up the terminal ends and the battery lugs. Would doing this clear the codes?
I hooked up the jump start afterwards to start the truck for him. He said it throw some Black Smoke on start up and also had terrible miss. Once it ran for a while it seemed to get better. Checked my charging system and alternator output. All was showing it was working right. He noticed that one battery had a low level battery cell when he removed the battery cell cover. He suggested I take the batteries to parts store for free load test and charge. Could a low batteries voltage have cause the issue with lack of power and the Black Smoke out the exhaust?

Thanks

#22 ·
Last few days the truck was a slow cranking up in the morning

When you say slow cranking do you mean it had a long crank time or the engine is slow to turn over? If it's slow to turn over then you have a voltage problem, if it cranks at normal speed (150 rpm) then you have another problem.

Long crank times on this engine can set false CKP and CMP codes (P0340 P0341 P2614) it's pretty rear for those to fail on this engine.

You need to have good fully charged batterys before you diagnose any no start problems.
Check these things, FICM voltage, ICP pressure and for oil in the connector, fuel pressure, see if SYNC changes from NO to Yes when cranking, and that the engine is full of good clean oil, I had a no-start 6.0 this week that ended up being out of oil,
and check fuel pressure.
One of those is going to send you in the right direction, I work on these every day.

#23 ·
Thanks! Almost tempted to trade it in if I can get to run some what. The truck is really more then I really need. All ways have problems parking in downtown and alot of underground parking garages won't let me park there cause it is too tall or oversize.

#36 ·
This.

Forget charging them. Anything below 9 volts should be replaced especially on a diesel.

#26 ·
I am at the store now. One battery was bad. Purchased another online from Advance and used a online Advance Coupon Code. Saving $40.00. Other battery scanned good but low on volts. They charged it, then checked again on scanner. Now scanner says it still has low volts but now at 13.01. So they are recharging it again to see if it will pass on the scanner also.

#28 ·
You need to check your FICM, alot of times when your batteries are weak you end up killing your FICM. Do an internet search to see how to check it with a multi meter-it only takes 5 minutes. It should be @ 48 volts KOEO as well as while cranking. If you have access to a scanner that you can watch voltage it makes things easier but either way it only takes a few minutes. Also make sure to check this when the engine is cold like first thing in the morning.

#30 ·
This. Don't be a fucking cheapskate and create more problems down the road. Once a battery has been discharged enough to not start the engine, you've lost most of the reserve capacity and it will never be as strong as it was. You may get it back up to 13.6v but it won't hold it under load.

#31 ·
Alright, I installed the batteries and she fired up. It was throwing out more Black Smoke in the beginning and missing alot. Once she warmed up it got alot better. I Topped Off the Diesel Fuel in the tank and also added some Lucas Diesel treatment. I ran it very hard and seems Great! I will be trading her in once I get the new title from DMV. My old title had a lean from HSBC. Since truck is Paid Off I need a new title stating No Liens on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.