Yellow Bullet Forums banner

MT drag radial with a tube?

5K views 39 replies 19 participants last post by  CobraFrenzy 
#1 ·
I know I'm askin to get raped with a question like this... But what the hell
I just had 2 -275/50/15 MT radials mounted on used Weld Pro stars that had good yr slicks on them and they were screwed to the rim. I went to a local shop to hav the radials mounted and he left the tube in the radial.. And he argued with me that the radial wouldn't seal the holes were the screws were. So now I have a steel belted radial with a tube in it... Am I asking for huge problems if I don't take the tube out?

#9 ·
I've given up on tire shops. Mounted my slicks myself with a couple pry bars. Never fails they fuck something up. The father in law and I are about to go halfs on a bead machine and balancer. Besides that, last time it cost me 100 bucks to mount 4 tires on my rims. And they still fucked it up!

#21 ·
I used to screw my M/T drag radials to my 10x15 rims. The rims where already screwed from racing in the early 90's. If you don't pre-drill the radials sometimes the screw will strip itself in the rim - the steel cords are tough in those tires. Once I accidently drilled all of the way through the tire to the inside and it was almost impossible to get it to seal again after that - wanted to leak through the bead.

Now I have 2 sets of 10x15 rims with 315 Hoosiers mounted on one set and M/T 295/65/15 mounted on the other set. I've gone to mounting them without screws or hi-tack. The M/T tires seem to move a little each pass, the Hoosiers move initially but seem to stop after a small amount of movement.

I don't bother balancing the tires anymore and haven't noticed the difference.

#24 ·
I haven't bothered on the last few sets I've put on. Doesn't make much sense if the tire rotates on the rim. Haven't noticed it driving down the track or highway.

#26 ·
thx for the help, took the wheels back to shop this morning had a nice chat(arguement) with him cause he still insists that you need the tube in there.. i asked him just to try and mount the radial without the tube.. told him id be back in the morning. Guess ill know tomorrow if i need to choke a bitch

#39 ·
X2!!!! Never any leaks.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.