Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Smoked Babyback Ribs

22K views 95 replies 40 participants last post by  PuRpS 
#1 ·
2 racks of baby back ribs. Remove membrane and trim fat.

1 TS Seasoning Salt
1 TS Salt
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1 tS black pepper
2 TS Chili Powder
1/2 tS Cayenne pepper (Mild) 1 tS (Spicy) 1 TS (Hot)
2 tS Onion Powder
1/2 tS Ground Mustard
1 tS Paprika

Mix above in bowl
Rub on top and bottom of ribs. Massage the rub into it
Place ribs in a zip lock back (I cut mine in 1/2 to fit them in the big bags)
Place in fridge overnight

Soak Hickory chips in water overnight

Put 2-3 cups of apple juice in the steam pan. (keep an eye on it so it doesn't burn out.. add more if needed)

Smoke at 250* for 3 hours

Wrap ribs in aluminum foil and spray (DO NOT SOAK) with apple juice. Place back in smoker for 1-2 hour

Remove ribs from foil and place back on rack. Be careful they will fall apart.

Smoke the rest of the way to your licking. (internal temp should be 170*)

These are phuckin killer. You can eat them with your favorite BBQ sauce if you would like!!!

Enjoy

See less See more
#5 ·
Got a sauce for you to try

1 pound Brown Sugar
8 oz. Dark Molasses
32 oz. Generic Ketchup
18-24 oz. can Diced Stewed Tomatoes
4 Heads Garlic (Roasted)
2 Poblano Peppers (Diced)
2 Jalapeno Peppers (Diced/No Seeds)
2 Vidalia Onions (Diced)
Salt to taste
Secret Ingredient (Scroll Down)
1/2 Stick Butter

In X-Large Sauce Pan, saute peppers and onions in butter until very soft, add roasted garlic, stewed tomatoes, 1/2 brown sugar, ketchup and molasses. Simmer about an hour then a dash or two of salt to taste, continue simmering and add 1-2 cups of Jim Beam Bourbon Whiskey(Secret Ingredient) making sure not to boil after sauce begins to thicken taste for your own personal level of sweetness and either add more brown sugar or dilute with a touch of apple cider vinegar. Continue to cook until all ingredients are well blended and sauce is consistency of warm mustard(it will thicken as it cools) remove from heat and use as desired.

#6 ·
Got a sauce for you to try

1 pound Brown Sugar
8 oz. Dark Molasses
32 oz. Generic Ketchup
18-24 oz. can Diced Stewed Tomatoes
4 Heads Garlic (Roasted)
2 Poblano Peppers (Diced)
2 Jalapeno Peppers (Diced/No Seeds)
2 Vidalia Onions (Diced)
Salt to taste
Secret Ingredient (Scroll Down)
1/2 Stick Butter

In X-Large Sauce Pan, saute peppers and onions in butter until very soft, add roasted garlic, stewed tomatoes, 1/2 brown sugar, ketchup and molasses. Simmer about an hour then a dash or two of salt to taste, continue simmering and add 1-2 cups of Jim Beam Bourbon Whiskey(Secret Ingredient) making sure not to boil after sauce begins to thicken taste for your own personal level of sweetness and either add more brown sugar or dilute with a touch of apple cider vinegar. Continue to cook until all ingredients are well blended and sauce is consistency of warm mustard(it will thicken as it cools) remove from heat and use as desired.
Printed and saved.. Thanks Don!!

#9 ·
Great recipe I have been cooking ribs that way for a couple years now. Just watch the Cayenne pepper, I just put a couple dashes in the rub. One time it made my kids cry. I have tried many different sauses and Sweet Baby Rays seems to work the best. When they are cooked this way they don't need much sauce. I will give BigDon's recipe a try.

#17 ·
Mine are really easy, and are so tender the bones come right out of them with ease. You can get whatever type ribs you want at your grocery of choice. Wife prefers TX style, because of no bone. I prefer the ones with small bones, as they have a little better flavor to me.

1. Take a deep pan(Walmart has disposable aluminum pans that work great), and add 1(one) 12 oz. beer of your choice.

2. Season ribs to your liking. Spicy, peppered, or salty.

3. Cover pan and seal tight with aluminum foil, shiny side down.

4. Heat in oven, 4hrs.@350°F.

5. Remove from oven, and place in clean pan.

6. Fire up grill and get it hot.

7. Cover ribs in BBQ sauce of your choice, brushing it even with a grill brush.

8. Grill on both sides to seal in flavor, and add grill marks. Be very careful turning ribs as they will be super tender and tear apart. I usually use a long pair of tongs and a spatula to keep the whole rack together.

Tip, to keep ribs from sticking to grill irons, pour some vegatable oil onto some papertowels and soak the rack good. do this again on the part of the grill you'll be flipping your ribs onto.

Hope y'all enjoy...

#21 ·
fucking awesome!

everybody loved the ribs and the sauce too

I bottled the remaining sauce, (that recipe makes a shit load)

the bones literally were falling out of the meat when I took them off the smoker

I used orange wood for the smoke instead of hickory, (lighter flavor and I have a bunch of it on hand)

loaded baked potatoes and steamed broccoli for sides

#31 ·
The OP uses the 3-2-1 method 3 smoke 2 foil and 1 sauce. I find the final product is really good but a tad dry for my liking. I have tried a 2-3-2 method 2 smoke, 3 spritz and foil then open the foil to sauce, back in the foil for the remaining time. You don't quit get the bark on the ribs but they are so moist they melt in your mouth.

my 2 cents

#34 ·
I typically smoke them for 1 to 1 1/2 hours at 175-200. Then wrap them in foil cook at same temp for about 3 more hours. When I wrap them I put the meat down and wrap them so the juice doesn't leak out of the foil. I open one carefully and when the meat starts to pull away from the bone they are ready for sauce. When I cook them it takes about 5 hours total.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.