Yellow Bullet Forums banner

25.5 foxbody susp mount Q's

7K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  BYBYLS1 
#1 · (Edited)
I recently bought a fox chassis car and have been researching cage, subframe, and suspension setups so I can do this properly 1 time. Goal is a mid 7 sec ride at about 2800-2900 lb raceweight on a 275. I need it to hook, It wont have the power to run a mid 7 @ 230mph.

My main question is about the rear control arm body mounts. I would like the ability to have everything adjustable, but is having everything adjustable become overkill or redundant? Rear axle is an 8.8 with adjustable lower arm mounts, the upper mounts on the rear are fixed/non adjustable. Seems wise to put adjustable relocation mounts on the body for both the upper and lowers. Need confirmation. Or is it simply not needed. I looked through alot of builds and they are either not showing what they are doing with the mounts or are just reinforcing the stock stuff

Ive seen a few pics of custom mount setups here and there but if you know of a thread showing lots please post the link. Post pics of what you did to your own, ect ect. I like the looks of the trz upper relocation kit. it seems pretty simple. Do they have a kit for the lowers?

Yes Im reading the sticky btw

#2 ·
All the adjustment you can get is the best but if you look at all the X275 cars out there haulin the mail it makes you think twice. X275 requires stock mounting location on the body side. All of these cars have a ton of adjustability on the rear housing though. Hope this helps.

#5 ·
Thats not true.. X275 doesnt care if its in stock location on body..

Yes.. the more adjustments the better.. If I were starting from scratch on a new car.. I would do the following..

3 holes in the upper torque box spaced 1" apart.. the stock hole would be the lowest hole.. so another hole up 1" and then another up another 1".

3 holes in the lower torque boxes also 1" apart.. stock hole being the middle hole..

at the bare minimum I would have the adjustable LCA brackets on the rear housing.. you have to have these if you dont want to sit like a 4x4 to make it work right.. Its all about the LCA angle in a SS mustang on a small tire.. especially a radial. You need enough adjustment that you can put your car at your desired ride height and get the lower control arm level.. Final setup will usually end up with the LCA just barley going uphill toward the body.. (.10-.25 higher on the body)..

If it were me.. I would buy one of the nice 9" housings with the LCA adjustable brackets already installed.. and also having the adjustable UCA ears on it.

You will need a good set of double adjustable rear shocks.

Opinions vary on wishbones.. Some say yes, some say not needed.. I like them myself.. feels alot more stable on the top end to me.

Here are some pics of some of the things mentioned..

Rear housing from Dave at Team Z Motorsports.. Chassis shop is Little Art Race Cars in Dothan,AL on that particular car..

Here are some other things offered by some of the awesome shops that support the Bullet..

http://trzmotorsports.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/IMG_9783-e1354595140236.jpg

#6 ·
X275 Rules...."Upper and Lower control arms must be mounted in the factory chassis locations -S Box permitted."

I guess I read the rules in black and white. If these aren't checked that's fine with me. We've been setting them up for what I thought was legal. Game on!!

#8 ·
I searched for a little while.. Too much shit to go through though.. John Sears at some point has said the S-box is legal.. and in the beginning he said as long as you were using the "stock hole".. then later he changed that and basically doesnt care anymore.. The way I interpreted it at that time was basically.. If the car had triangulated 4 link factory.. then it has to have triangulated 4 link now.. upper torque box and lower torque box can have holes that move the location some..

Maybe john will step in and clarify things.. If you have to use the stock holes on the body.. then atleast half of the X275 field is illegal

#9 ·
This is what was done to my car. All of the adjustment is back at the rearend housing. The torque boxes all completely welded and tied into the cage for support

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.